Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clutch slave cylinder bracket broken?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
clutch slave cylinder bracket broken?!

whats up guys. so basically as i was driving stop and go traffic my clutch sank to the floor. it wouldnt let me put it into gear so i had to shut it off, put it in first gear and start it, then pull to the shoulder. i saw that the clutch slave cylinder bracket (where the bolts are that hold the slave cylinder to the tranny) had been torn off. so i drove home without a clutch pedal by shutting off the car when stopping and putting it into first then starting it.. i would shift by easing the car into gear as the engine and tranny speed matched. i switched slave cylinders thinking everything would be fine. after an hour of bleeding the clutch system and an entire bottle of fluid, i gave up.. i had a constant stream of fluid with no air bubbles. i inspected for leaks too, no leaks. i still had no clutch pressure. so i was thinking something else has to be the problem.

im STUCK. what would cause this to happen? buddy of mine says it might be the clutch master cylinder, how would i go to test my master to see if its in working order? are there any other things that would contribute to my slave cylinder breaking off the bracket? thanks for any help in advanced.

Last edited by civicsrcool; 05-06-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: clutch slave cylinder bracket broken?!

The breaking bracket thing is a known and rather common problem. As for your clutch pressure, how are you bleeding it? Vac hose on the bleeder, into another bottle of fluid.. pump the pedal and keep filling the res. until you get a little pressure back. If you are just bleeding it into air, it sucks air back in and you won't get anywhere.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

I first attempted without a hose because I had no hose (was working on side of freeway) lol... when I got home I did the did the bleeding with a vac hose and bottle of fluid and I got no pressure at all. you said this is common? could a bad master likely be the culprit? I guess I will try and bleed it more.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly man, I don't know about the master being out. It could be I suppose. I know its recommended to change the master along with the slave, but I just don't know. If you tried bleeding it with the extra bottle thing and it still didn't work I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try a pressure bleeder and if that still doesn't work you probably have an issue somewhere else.