Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear of car rocks side to side

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
babzog is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear of car rocks side to side

Hey folks,

I replaced my rear struts a couple of weeks ago and I notice when I'm driving slowly over bumps, that there is a knocking (for lack of a better word) noise, very soft, coming from the rear end (tending toward the passenger side). I also notice that the car rocks easily side to side (and takes 2-3 oscillations to stop) in the rear end and there are noises I can hear (like something's knocking about back there). Bolts were torqued to spec when I reinstalled (43 top, 45 bottom).

Not having a prior frame of reference to go by (not like I make a habit of rocking my cars for kicks), is the rocking motion I described above normal? What do you think the knocking sound could be?

Cheers!
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rear of car rocks side to side

I highly doubt it's normal, but my car does it as well. I know that it is most likely a suspension problem. You said you replaced the struts, what about the springs? Also, a rear strut bar may help if you don't mind the inconvience. I believe it comes it our cars aging and i believe the lack of care on certain suspension components. If you are rly desperate to eliminate the noise, replace the entire rear end, lol sounds drastic but better to eliminate the noise.
Old 05-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the 92 accord we have does this when you close a door lol. you can see it jiggling side to side for a few secs. its prolly cause the shocks are blown.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

I replaced the entire rear strut assemblies - shocks, prings, mounts, etc - with an all-new assembly from my local parts store (already assembled - just swapped them out).
Old 05-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

what about front ones
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

Did the fronts first, couple of weeks before the rears. I took your advice and changed the rears even though they weren't leaking anything. Figured they were old enough that they'd done their duty.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Only thing else I can thing of are lca's, sway bar, maybe even some bolts came loose. I had some body work done to the read of the car and they never cleaned the damn thing out. I found prolly 6 black bolts that I talked to someone and they were meant to keep the body attached to the frame. My only question is now, did they put new ones back in???