Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

shifting in auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackasnight2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
shifting in auto

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] i was just wondering if shifting from 2 to 3 to D on an auto f*cks up the tranny? i do it sometimes but only from a standstill i don't do it while i am already goin... i don't think it makes me go faster i just like doing it , i just want to know if its safe to do or if it is slowly ruining my tranny
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, on the Civic, if you leave your tranny in "2", it will start off in 2nd gear. Your car will bog down like crazy. On an interesting note though, when you are going on an EXTREME uphill, where your car rolls back, if you leave it in "2", it won't roll back for some reason. No matter how steap the hill is. Weird.

I sometimes downshift to "3" or "2", when I am attacking a corner. As far as straight line, just leave it in "D".
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its called an automatic so you dont have to shift you are fcking up your transmission when you shift play
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
You are not fu¢king up your tranny. D2 and D3 are there for a reason. D2 is especially useful in stop and go traffic. it keeps your car from "jumping". You'll find it a lot easier to deal with the taillight happy bunch in front of you if you leave it in D2 until the clog clears then put it back where it needs to be. You can shift up as you need to. If you have a knowledge of how a transmission works you'll realize that there is nothing wrong with using this feature. You car does most of the necessary adjusting by itself and you shouldn't be shift happy with it, it's not a stick, you're just wasting your time if you do. As long as you understand that if you're going to use D2 or D3 that you use them at a time that won't cause your RPM's to redline. In other words, I wouldn't recommend shifting down to D2 or D3 if you're doing 75 mph on the freeway without slowing down considerably, and even then it really isn't necessary. D2 and D3 offer you the best option in areas of stop and go driving, bad weather or backroads where speed limits are low.

I personally only use D2 in heavy traffic or as the above person said, to keep me from moving on a hill without braking so as to save my brakelights.

The biggest mistake some people make is thinking that putting it in D2 will help them starting out in race-type situations. If you're gonna try to race somebody in an automatic you basically have to accept what you've got. Just floor it and pray for the best. You'll never beat another CIVIC driver who has a stick unless they just have no clue how to shift. D2 will only slow you down.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

blackasnight2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx alot nycivic you answered all my questions and in a decent manner, i thought i was gonna get b*tched at for asking a stupid ? like that , but i guess there are nice members our there [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

No problem, it's not a stupid question at all. If you wanna get bashed around here just say something bad about HONDA, that seems to really get some people going. LOL!!
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always heard people saying that you shouldn't shift with an automatic, but I never hear any reasons.

I have a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and I have the ability to "shift" from D (drive) to S (sport, or second according to the manual) or to L (low). D redlines around 4500rpm and S redlines around 6000-something rpm. I like to go from D to S to get better acceleration. I haven't heard anything about whether this is okay to do frequently. Anyone know??
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

DJNuTzSaK is an unknown quantity at this point
you can do it but your transmission won't last as long as the ones that don't shift it...if you want to shift just go buy a stick shift...the clutch isn't that hard to handle
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure it is...

Everyday I see someone stalling at the lights
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

2k1CiviChic is an unknown quantity at this point
I put my car in "D3" around the city, but when I hit the highways I put it in "D". I usually dont do a lot of shifting just because I'm not trying to f*&% my ride up.
But I have to admit that I have gone from D to D3 on the highway just because I was trying to dip out on somebody when I was racing him [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point

<< ....I usually dont do a lot of shifting just because I'm not trying to f*&% my ride up.... >>

Why do you say that it would f*&% your ride up? Give me a reason why "shifting" in an automatic would mess your ride up. People keep saying it but don't give any reasons or evidence. That's one of my big pet peeves... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

lemoncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the anwer is pretty simple. If you weren't supposed to use D3 or D2...WHY WOULD THEY BE THERE???? And where is the proof that shifting an AUTO will burn out the tranny faster...DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOW THIS AS FACT???? Besides, even when you don't shift your auto manually it still does it's own shifting automatically. It's not like there's just ONE BIG GEAR that does everything!!! An AUTOMATIC and A MANUAL are two, totally different types of Transmissions people.
Old 04-04-2002
Registered!!

n00dleboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sooooo lemme see.. if i shift from D to Reverse a lot and go back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth i'm gona F$#K up my transmission? NO!, Nothing wrong with shifting in Autos, do it a lot or do it a bit.. nothing wrong with it.
Old 04-04-2002
Registered!!

Why would you need to go from D to R so much? Why so much back and forth??
Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

2k1CiviChic is an unknown quantity at this point
its not the messin up your transmition.....its messin with your engine i would think....when you go to D to D3 or the other way around your RPM either increase of decrease.....Next time your driving your auto civic watch the RPMs dropping when you shift up to D, and boost up when you shift down to D3.
I guess it just wares the engine out when you do it too much...it only makes sense. When you give your engine all this power one second then realease it all and then again and again.
Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
okay heres the lowdown ya dig?

Autos are designed so you don't have to shift them. When you're in 3rd gear and you floor it, the auto will kickdown to 2nd or 1st (depending on speed) for acceleration power. A manual driver would just depress the clutch, shift, and re-engage the clutch. You can keep moving the stick from D3 to D to D3 to D while driving, it won't hurt anything because when you move the shifter from D to D3, it just tells the transmission "okay I want you to shift" which is what the tranny is doing all the time anyway. The only damage you will have if you keep moving the stick yourself will be from your friends who will laugh, point, and say "why didn't you buy a stick if you want to do that" if you shift 2-D3-D every single time....

Now a serious note... ive said it before, gonna say it again.... DO NOT SHIFT FROM R to D UNLESS YOU ARE STOPPED COMPLETLY... rolling back in R and then shifting into D to stop yourself is VERY HARD on your transmission, I have personally rebuilt an automatic transmission belonging to my friends mother who always did this.

A manual owner can do it because when we roll back, shift into 1st, and engage the clutch, we are feathering the clutch against the flywheel and reducing the sudden jerk of a direction change to a graceful motion. But because an auto is not like a manual when you shift from R to D the transmission will shift automatically and take the load of the direction change. (bad)

sorry, i'm still under the weather so my concentration kinda... what was i saying? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

So then you're saying the GRADE LOGIC is actually hurting my engine? I mean I see the RPMS Jump up to like 4500 when the GRADE LOGIC kicks in.
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

GRADE LOGIC is nothing, absolutly nothing, more than a computer regulating your shifts so your tranny isnt going from 4th to 3rd to 4th to 3rd like some autos do on hills.
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
just like all the other retards, who are blowin trannies on new cars like they are mopar parts, you guys will be next....keep it up, you bought an auto, face it..... D3 is for city Driving, D is for hwy, thats it, thats what your car manual says! Using D2 in snow isnt bad either, just dont go shifting around the thing like crazy while you are driving around.... noobs....
RF Bwoy
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy: --
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

1slo2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I play with the shifter all the time. When I race I shift it manually. When someone tries to pass you can pull it back into 2nd at about 60 to 65 and it still shift into gear. However neutral slamm it will mess it up.

Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

"When someone tries to pass you can pull it back into 2nd at about 60 to 65"

Forget the transmission ... I can guarantee you, you'll fu¢k up your engine if you keep doing that.
Old 04-07-2002
Registered!!

RockfordFosgateBwoy is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, where does everyone get these cool lil smileys!

That corvette site had so many funny ones, like the smiley with the hammer [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

it was amusing to say the least....
thanks avenger

[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

RF Bwoy
Old 04-10-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
tonite i was practicing my starts and a couple of my friends started to push back my car while i was in neutral. then i put in d and floored it. is it same as dropping form r to d while rolling?
btw. i always drop from d to d3 and vice a versa to pass people up.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Why aren't AUTO shifters built with P, R, N and D only? Why have D2 and D3 if they aren't to be used? If you understand how speed affects your RPM's you shouldn't have a problem. the fu&ccedil;king grade logic sends my RPMs thru the roof and I have no control over that![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-12-2002
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
from experience this is what i know.

automatic has 4 gears.
0-30 mph is 1st gear.
31-60 is roughly second gear (2).
61-80? is 3rd gear (D3)
and D is 81 and up?

im not sure about the length of D3... it could be 80 or even go up to 90 before u redline. i never took it up that high.
but i know when you put it in second, and u take it up to 60mph, you will be redlining, and u can even go past the redline if u do not shift it up into D3. i have taken it up to 7,000 RPM a few times in 2nd gear.. i think thats the only way it could be bad for your car, if u leave it in a lower gear and dont shift wen it hits redline, but i think our redline shoulda been at 7k anyway...
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
it wont hurt your transmission? Who ever said that get out the hammer so I can bash you over the head.

My friend has a 2k1 rr ex auto...when he drives he moves it from 2 to D3 to D when he races or when he just drives. He has about 25k on his car and already has had 3 trannys replaced. The first was under warrenty the rest he had to pay for. So if you want to fvck your **** up, shift the auto, if not buy a god damn stick ya idiot.
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
Hm...what RPM does he shift in each gear?
Btw, anyone read their owner's manual lately? I was trying to find out if we are suppose to shift during driving or not...Honda never said anything about it.
However, I think there is reason we don't have to press the release button going from 2 to D3, D3 to D, D to N...etc
If they don't want us to shift, why don't they just make it lock for all the gear and make us press the release button every time? That way, we might think twice about shifting.
just my 2 cents[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

JiffyPop is an unknown quantity at this point
all of you that say you can't shift in an automatic are noobs.... all that automatics do is do most of the shifting for the driver... no clutch... computer controlled. No gears to select because the computer does it for you...

unless you tell it different.....

D3 is for "city driving". It only uses the first 3 gears. Each time you floor it... it will accelerate up to redline then shift... then shift then drive.s.. once you're going fast enough you can then "manually" shift it into D so that you are not sitting at redline in 3rd gear. There is nothing wrong with this. You're just telling the engine to shift instead of driving in "D" and letting the computer do it. The reason it's for "city driving" is because it keeps the tranny from cycling between 3rd and 4th gears. It's also used to apply what people who know anything about cars call "engine braking". You know... that thing that manuals do more than automatics!! If you have ever noticed... "D" doesn't really provide engine braking. If you shift down to "D3", you're telling the engine to downshift and it will apply more engine braking to slow you without you using your brakes. For example... if you're screaming down a mountain at 60Mph you can downshift to "D3" to slow your car without riding your brakes... a bad thing on a mountain. Also... you need not worry about going over the redline in an auto.. that's the beauty of them... they either shift or they have what Civics have... "Engine Speed Limiter"... READ YOUR MANUAL... Page 185. One last thing... you're meant to be able to shift back and forth between "D" and "D3" because the shifter does not prevent it by making you push the button. Forbidden shifts... like "N" to "R" or "D3" to "2" are prevented from happening without your express consent by making you use the release button. Basically what I'm saying is... its ok to do 60MPH and be at 4500 or 5000 RPM... do do not worry about shifting from "D" to "D3" at this speed... it helps in engine braking esp on California's wonderful drag strips called the freeways that love to have traffic jams and stupid drivers.

People buy manuals cuz the love to drive and accelerate and pretend they are a professional driver.

People buy automatics because we love to have our In N' Out Double Double in one hand, Vanilla Shake in the other, cell phone cradled on our shoulder and our feet propped up on the dash cuz we're set on cruise control!!

booyah
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
i shift from d to d3 then to d2 all the time when going down a hill, granted in d2 i dont exceed 40 mph so im good. no problems with it, its fine. there's actually a "d1" position on the autos, but its covered by the console.

Quick Reply: shifting in auto