Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

does this mean i need new engine mounts?

Old 01-24-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
does this mean i need new engine mounts?

my car is vibrating again 65-75mph range or higher, i have brand new tires, blanced and aligned, it didnt help. now when i let go of the gas, the vibration completely stops. does this mean the engine mounts are messed up? and how easy is this to change?
Old 01-24-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Re: does this mean i need new engine mounts?

ESMM for the win!!!
Old 01-24-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

isnt that alot more vibration? lol
Old 01-25-2008

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

i love mine but after the break in, its not that bad.
I heard of people installing the ESMM on just the front mount too. ill bet that wont be too bad.

but the ESMM will for sure help your motor mounts last WAY longer

Also before i installed my ESMM i went through two sets of all the mounts. before 80k
Old 01-31-2008
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough

Have you looked at your mounts ??
Old 02-01-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

You can always poly-fill the mounts. More work, but less money.
Old 02-02-2008
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough

check your mounts first. dont forget to check the rear as well. i kno its hard to see the rear but they do go out fairly often. if you say you just had your tires ballanced then next i would check your struts. check them from leaks.
if your still havent found nething then its time to go back to the wheels/tires. a wheel can be perfectly balanced but the tire can have poor tire wear, read zero no a balance machine but still vibrate. on most tire balance machines it would say its balanced bc there is no actual road contact. get the wheels and tires a dynamic road force balance. id be willing to bet that they would fail.
also run your hand over the tire and see if it feels smooth or very bump and ridgy. and rotate the front tires to the rear and see if the vibration changes to the floor or if its felt in the steering wheel. if you can, also post the alignment sheet specs. if i can see the before specs i can tell you the condition of the tires.
Old 02-02-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

its not tires, but it could be ur flywheel or pressureplate (assuming ur manual) it could have hot spots on it, or it could be motor mounts, and as far as the inserts go, its only more vibration at idle with loads on(ie. a/c) i have esmm and stiffy, and donthave much vibration, but i did before i had my flywheel resurfaced, i know u cant just check that, but its a thought to keep in mind
Old 02-03-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Check the two giant bolts that hold your stuts on too.
Old 02-03-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

sometimes its suspension related... we had some people come to the shop with the same problem and come to find out.. it was the A-arm bushings
Old 02-03-2008
Premium Member

thanks guys. ive been out of town til now so i can deal with it again. the tires were brand new, now have 2k miles on them, and it is not the tires. the vibration comes and goes. i drove lots of freeways and sometimes between 65-75 there would be zero vibration. then out of the blue it would start to vibrate. weird eh? then it would go away again. idk. either its a bad mount and the engine is sometimes finding a good spot, or its suspension related like someone said. but the shocks are barely 6 months old and not leaking. so something else. i have an auto. i guess i will check the mounts first (easiest), then look at the suspension. also i had new rotors and pads put on, now it is making a scraping sound whenever i turn and stop. thats prolly not good either but its a separate problem.
Old 02-03-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

man, ihave this same problem, and my front lca bushings are shot, im wondering if it has something to do with them, and with ur brakes, the grinding is normal, its just the pads and rotors getting worn in, wouldnt worry about that
Old 02-03-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

does your wheel shake as well? check your tie rod ends if so.
Old 02-03-2008
Premium Member

yeah its the wheel that shakes, not the car. sorry if that wasnt clear. it feels exactly like a wheel balance issue, but i know its not that, because its not a constant vibration. i too thought about the tie rods, but idk. this whole thing started when i switched rims from stock SI alloy to konig hurry. same size, few pounds lighter, but maybe its the rims? im just guessing. its such a weird thing. my second guess was the tires need to wear according to all the new suspension stuff like drop, alignment, whatever but that makes no sense and obviously it didnt happen. hmm... the shop said they can check the mounts for $15 fee. im just gonna bring it in cause to me they look normal. maybe its cracked and i cant see it. blah
Old 02-03-2008

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice

easy fixer.. try swapping the fronts with the rears.. (rims) like how u rotate tires and drive again... its a free and easy to trouble shoot thing.. dont need to spend money on it
Old 02-03-2008
Premium Member

you know its funny, cause when i had the old tires on and i swapped them front to back, the vibration got worse. so i switched it back the way it was and it got less. i always thought it was the tires fault because they had uneven wear. but i guess not. . what would make rims do that tho? they werent bent when they went on.
Old 02-03-2008

well.. put it this way.. i used to have the same problem way back when...

used to always go to this same guy to balnce my rims... everytime i go back he said it was fine... decide to bring it to another shop.. they checked it and said it was off balance.. so now i dont go to that shop to balance my rims anymore..

point is that some places try to and some places know what they are doing
Old 02-03-2008
Banned

you might also try to have them road force balanced, its what i use, and i swear by it now, we have one at my shop, and its a life saver, it can also tell u if u have a bent rim or bad tire that is the cause of the problem...
Old 02-03-2008
Premium Member

okay i can ask if there is anything else they can try. i remember they used gram weights one time. maybe the car is just really sensitive. and yea, im at the shop now that knows how to balance. same happened to me where i had to find another place that could do it right.
Old 02-03-2008
Banned

my guess is u got a bad tire, im telling u have it road force balanced, it will tell u if u have a bad tire, i swear by it man, its fantastic
Old 02-04-2008
Premium Member

i will look for a place to do that thanks.
Old 02-07-2008
Premium Member

looks like i need new front bushings. they are dead almost $300 labor and parts.
Old 02-07-2008

was it the a-arm bushings like i said?
Old 02-07-2008
Premium Member

yeah i think so. they showed me with the wheel taken off and it was all torn up. they just had another civic in with the same problem with around 80k miles.
Old 02-19-2008
Registered!!

jackscivic will become famous soon enough

thats why i went to Energy suspension. i got tired of replacing the factory bushings over and over. i do it myself so it doesnt cost much but its still a pain in my ***. i swear by poly now!
Old 02-19-2008

what is the entire production line for the 7th gen from Energy???

got it.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/hon1.html

they do make lower front and rear control arm bushings.

COOL!

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 02-19-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2008
Premium Member

sweet now who sells em? id rather go that route and not worry about replacing it later again
Old 02-20-2008

let me know if you find em...
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

TuRtLE714 will become famous soon enoughTuRtLE714 will become famous soon enough

me too i need to replace mine asap
Old 02-22-2008
Premium Member

why what happens? other than the vibrating, will axle fall off or something lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: does this mean i need new engine mounts?