Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How can I check Transmission Fluid level ? (M/T)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
Question How can I check Transmission Fluid level ? (M/T)

GUys I called Honda today to ask em about flushing and changing my transmission fluid and they said it will cost like 7 bottles ($7 each bottle) = $49. Before I go ahead with changing the whole oil I asked them how to check the level and they told me that 7th gen civics have a stick to tell that ...(similar to the Oil level checking thing (stick or wateva i cant remember what the guy called it) Anyway I opened the hood and I cant find any other stick other than the Oil level one. Can someone help me please.
Old 08-13-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
Re: How can I check Transmission Fluid level ? (M/T)

BUMP !!! Guys I need help on this quick please !
Old 08-13-2007
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point

i think there's a dipstick underneath the hose for the intake.
Old 08-14-2007
Banned

7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to know myself, the manual says to take this screw out somewhere and to feel for the lvl of fluid.. The level should be high enough to fill to the side mounted screw lvl and if not to fill until it comes out.. That's the most retarded thing I've hears honda do. But yeah, if I'm missin somethin, let me know. I've had my vic 40k miles and haven't checked it once
Old 08-14-2007
Banned

Ok I just looked for that DIPSTICK and I couldnt find NOTHING under the Intake ... I have an aftermarket intake though .. but still no signs of a colored or black dipstick for tranny fluid ... So im waiting for the Pros to reply here now .
Old 08-15-2007
Banned

7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about

bump for some tranny fluid checkage
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

arj44 is an unknown quantity at this point

For manuals, there should be 2 bolts on the tranny. The one closer to the ground is the drain bolt, and the one higher up is the fill bolt. Remove the fill bolt and stick your finger in there. The oil should come up to the level of the fill bolt. I think the dipstick you are referring to is for automatics.

Lastly, you do not need to flush the manual tranny. Doing so will probably make things worse. Just drain the oil old and refill with Honda's MT fluid.
Old 08-15-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

correct and correct^

there is a bolt on the side. remove it and stick your finger in there...

all this info in is your drivers manual also...
Old 08-15-2007
Banned

I bought my cars Used and it didnt come with the manual. I appreciate ur help though guys. I will try to check it out this weekend.

ARJ44: "Lastly, you do not need to flush the manual tranny. Doing so will probably make things worse. Just drain the oil old and refill with Honda's MT fluid."

I didnt clearly understand what u meant when u said that. Is there a difference between flushing and draining ? OK im a newbie so please do tell me the difference. In the first sentence u say not to flush it as it will make things worse and in the 2nd sentence u tell me to drain it. Please let me know. Appreciate ur help. Thanks
Old 08-15-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

With a manual tranny, its simply a drain and fill. No flushing involved like with an auto tranny. You'll see a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny that takes a 3/8" socket to open up (or an allen wrench, can't remember). Here. #9 is the drain plug - imagine you're looking at the tranny from the back of the engine - and #10 is the fill plug. I think it takes a 17mm socket.

Unscrew #10, stick your pinky finger in there, if you feel fluid, you have enough. If you don't you need to add fluid until it comes out. I find it easier to unscrew the sensor (#8 on the diagram) and add fluid there until it comes out the fill hole (#10 again). Much easier than trying to jam a hose and funnel into the fill plug.

Last edited by speedfoos; 08-15-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2007

Also , if you don't have Honda MT fluid, 10W30 conventional motor oil is an acceptable (and recommended) substitute. I've run 10W30 in all my Honda manual trannys - this one for 3 years now, and I had a 97 Civic that I ran it with for 4 years - and I never had a single problem.
Old 08-15-2007

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

correct^ they only die the fluid red so you know what is leaking...

tranny oil or motor oil

flush = drain

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 08-15-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

drcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally wouldn't use conventional 10W-30 motor oil, I don't think it has the right additives for gears and syncros.

From my experience, I changed my tranny fluid (I have a 2001 civic LX) at ~80,000km and used mobil1 10W-30 synthetic and it seemed good at the time and the shifting felt really light. However, just recently (93,000 km) I started experiencing grinding/scratching when shifing into 4th gear at high rpm's of 5000 and up. I can't blame the tranny fluid forsure (maybe my syncros were going anyways), but I just changed my tranny fluid again; this time using Redline MTL and I've noticed that the high rpm grinding in 4th gear doesn't happen anymore. This was just last week, so I'll give it a few more weeks to test and see if that 4th gear grind comes back or not.

PS. not sure if this was mentioned already, but regarding your original question, when checking the m/t oil level, it's best if the car is level.
Old 08-15-2007

Right, don't use synthetic. Use plain jane, conventional 10W30 oil. My first Civic went 125,000 miles before we traded it in and I used 10W30 from the first change at 15K. Never had a problem.
Old 08-15-2007

its the same just died a different color i promiss...

do a little resurch

i like 5w/30 in arizona
Old 08-15-2007
Banned

Phew .... Thats some Awesome information right there .... I knew I cud count on u guys man !!! ... Thanks a lot Speedfo and 02BlackCivic. !!! U guys Rock !!! Rep+1
Old 08-21-2007
Registered!!

arj44 is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience, I changed my tranny fluid (I have a 2001 civic LX) at ~80,000km and used mobil1 10W-30 synthetic and it seemed good at the time and the shifting felt really light. However, just recently (93,000 km) I started experiencing grinding/scratching when shifing into 4th gear at high rpm's of 5000 and up. I can't blame the tranny fluid forsure (maybe my syncros were going anyways), but I just changed my tranny fluid again; this time using Redline MTL and I've noticed that the high rpm grinding in 4th gear doesn't happen anymore. This was just last week, so I'll give it a few more weeks to test and see if that 4th gear grind comes back or not.
Dr. Civic,

The exact same thing you're describing happened to me. I had my manual tranny fluid changed by the Honda dealer at 42,000 miles. Initially, it felt silky smooth. Much smoother than before the tranny fluid change. But now, only 6,000 miles later, it really takes a lot more force to shift. It seems like the gears are catching when I shift, like it doesn't want to go into gear. If I give it more force, it goes in, but I can still feel resistance. Sometimes I have to release the clutch and then press it again in order for it to shift. I can't help but think that the mechanics at honda put motor oil instead of MTF. (BTW I have an 03 EX Sedan).
Old 08-21-2007
Banned

Damn Dude .. Thats scary now ... So I thinks it better to change the tranny fluid myself with the help of a friend rather than getting it done from the stealership

So Expierenced people ? What do u say ? Mobil 10W30 or Honda Genuine Manual Transmission Fluid ?
Old 08-22-2007

As stated previously, Honda MTF is conventional weight 10W30 with a dye added to it so you can distinguish if that is leaking or if your oil is leaking. Just dump some 10W30 (not synthetic) in there and call it a day.
Old 08-22-2007

Honda genuine.

it will keep things simple
Old 08-29-2007
Registered!!

VinhTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Id only recomened using Honda MTF(manual trans fluid) for manuals because it is oils that dosent have additives to help the engine and such. MTF is only made just to lubricate gears and helps bearings. You can also use off the self manual trans oils too. There is a fill bolt and a drain bolt on the side of trans it only needs to be as high as the fill bolt and that is enough more and it will cause foaming in the trans and damage bearings and stuff. Using convetional motor oil is fine but you should try your best not to use it if you can but if money is the problem 5w-30 or 10-w30 if you want is fine also. MTF doesnt normaly need to be changed often only ever probably 60k miles or more depends on how you drive. ATF on the other hand should be changed 30, 60, 90 so on miles your trans will break down. Good luck man !!!!
Old 11-18-2009
Registered!!

usmcdevilmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speedfoos
With a manual tranny, its simply a drain and fill. No flushing involved like with an auto tranny. You'll see a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny that takes a 3/8" socket to open up (or an allen wrench, can't remember). Here. #9 is the drain plug - imagine you're looking at the tranny from the back of the engine - and #10 is the fill plug. I think it takes a 17mm socket.

Unscrew #10, stick your pinky finger in there, if you feel fluid, you have enough. If you don't you need to add fluid until it comes out. I find it easier to unscrew the sensor (#8 on the diagram) and add fluid there until it comes out the fill hole (#10 again). Much easier than trying to jam a hose and funnel into the fill plug.
I would like to make a correction to the above post that I observed while I changed my transmission fluid. #9 is the drain plug and it takes a 3/8" ratchet. #10 IS NOT THE FILL HOLE...... It is #14 and yes, it does take a 17mm socket or wrench. It was easier for me to access #14 from the top of my engine because I have a aftermarket intake. Those with the stock intakes, probably from the bottom would be easier.
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so I'm planning on changing my MT Oil this weekend and am trying to figure out if it is better to fill through #8 on the diagram or the designated fill hole (#9). I do have a funnel but no tube (I can get one if needed obviously), but if it's easier to access #8 I'm all for it.

What do you guys think? What is even needed to fill through #8?
Old 04-06-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CoupedUp04
Ok so I'm planning on changing my MT Oil this weekend and am trying to figure out if it is better to fill through #8 on the diagram or the designated fill hole (#9). I do have a funnel but no tube (I can get one if needed obviously), but if it's easier to access #8 I'm all for it.

What do you guys think? What is even needed to fill through #8?
Use only the holes that are for it. #9 is the drain plug and #14 is the fill hole. Its a very easy job. I have done it a couple times on my car.