Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Noise?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
breault5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Noise?!?!?!?

i have an 02 civic and my friends and family say my car makes an unusual noise when accelearting (almost sounds like how kids clip cards on the bike spokes to make it sound cool) but it only makes it i think in the first couple gears......but i dont really pay attention to it it must be use to the sound but it was like this when i bought the car so i dont know....anybody have an idea what it is ??

...if it helps my car has an aem short ram, headers, 2 in. lowering kit and some kind of exhaust i dont even know he gave me the exhaust he use to have on it(apexi N1 which is not on and just sitting in my gararage) he said he took it off cause he said it was too loud but he said he has an acura rsx exhaust on it???

some friends told me it might be belts?? power steering fluid needs replace????

I DONT KNOW HOW TO FIX IT PLEASE HELP
Old 07-30-2007
Registered!!

BLK03EX2DR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noise?!?!?!?

first thing that comes to mind is the CV shafts. another thing would be the timing chain as a more metallic sound. is it noticable with the wheel fully turned moving in reverse?
Old 07-30-2007
Registered!!

CV shafts....
okay well uuhh no i dont think its noticable in reverse its only in like 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating but sometimes you can actually hear thge exhaust for like 2 seconds than it will go straight to the noise...
ill have to check that out..
THANKS
Old 07-30-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a timing belt not a timing chain.

Check the obvious stuff too. Anything hitting the drive belts or stuck up in/near the flywheel cover that would hit something in concert with the engine revolutions.
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

Yeah Ive Done....
Somebody Told Me Today That It Might Be My Lifters???
Any Ideas??
Old 07-31-2007

We don't have lifters either we have an overhead cam and rocker arms.

Pop the hood, have someone slowly rev the car to about 5K. Does it make the noise when just revving too, or only when you are actually moving forward? This will help determine if the problem is at least located in the engine or somewhere in the drivetrain. If you can post an audio clip, that would help as well.
Old 08-01-2007
Registered!!

BLK03EX2DR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speedfoos
We have a timing belt not a timing chain.

Check the obvious stuff too. Anything hitting the drive belts or stuck up in/near the flywheel cover that would hit something in concert with the engine revolutions.
ah, didn't know that thankx. and I notice that honda engines tend to have a metallic sound to them when they rev up sometimes, is that just the cam gears?
Old 08-01-2007

Its probably just the valvetrain making that racket, but that's just a guess. Since us 7th genr's are SOHC, we also only have one cam gear.
Old 08-02-2007
Registered!!

ashokudu is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the similar sound on my civic, only showed up during acceleration. I found it to be a crack in the exaust manifold. I welded it shut. Take the cover off the front exaust manifold and look for exaust leaks. Make sure u unplug the battery cble (negative) before u unplug the oxygen sensor. Coz u got to unplug the oxygen sensor to take the cover off so u can look at the exaust manifold.

good luck.
Old 08-12-2007
Registered!!

ohhh makes sense
thanks !! ashokudu
but yeah its only when i accelerate..
i have another theory is it maybe because i think i have..(not sure but this is what guy who i bought the car from said) that i have an acura rsx exhaust??? but he use to have an apexi N1 i believe on it before the cops got him with it .... so does it make sense to have a rsx muffler with an apexi catback or do you think he had to change the catback too???
Old 08-14-2007
Registered!!

G617 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey I have the same problem. It only happens in 1st and/or 2nd and it's irritating as hell. I'm glad somebody else has had a problem similar, because I was in spend a lot of money to fix mode. So what you're saying Ashokudu is that it's probably the exhaust mani? It sounds more like a belt or something. Breault5... you said your car came like that? Mine didn't start until a while after Honda changed my clutch. I do drive my car hard though... so who knows
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

well yeah i bought the car used so thats how i bought it.....yeah i know it is irritatting and i wanna fix it so bad......but yeah i a stock clutch so i dont know i drive it pretty hard too so yeah......so what do u do about the crack in the manifold???...i have this one stuff that i bought from autozone for my muffler which had a crack and i put the stuff taht i bought which is made for filling in cracks in the muffler.....would this work on the manifold too???
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

hey... is an exhaust manifold the same thing as a header..i have kamakazi headers on???would that crack??
Old 08-15-2007

Exhaust manifold is the stock version of a header. You only have one header. If you had a V-6 or a V-8, then you would have headers.

Anything that's been welded can crack if it was not welded correctly, is old and corroded, or any number of variables. I haven't heard many bad things about the kamikaze headers.

Exhaust paste from Autozone will not fix your problem. The header gets too hot and will burn it off. Take it to a local muffler shop and have them fix it with a TIG welder. It would be easier and faster for them if you brought it to them without the car attached to it.
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

ohh okay thanks!!!!!
but yeah so u guys think thats the problem forsure??
would i be able to see the crack in the header if there was one??
Old 08-15-2007
Registered!!

hey whats that pipe that connects to the header??
i just went and looked at it and it looked liek the header wasnt tightened all the way down....well maybe unless its suppose to be like this for maybe washers or something i cant see underneath it so is there suppose to be a approx. 1/2 in. gap between the header and whatever that exhaust pipe it connects to is??????...
Old 08-15-2007

You're talking about your pre-cat pipe, right? There is a big donut gasket (or there should be) that goes around the end-pipe of the header where it mates into the pipe. You will see a gap as it's designed to flex and move so it doesn't bind and bend. Can you post some pics so we know what you're talking about?
Old 08-15-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

i know what hes talking about..yes depending on the type of donut gasket there will be a gap...now if they dont have a donut gasket in place or if they got the wrong size and its bent or crooked or jsut wasnt placed right. it could also be making this sound. i have a feeling i know exactly whats wrong. i have an exhaaust leak right in the gap that hes talking about.. and u wana know why? because i didnt get the right size gasket and decided to quiet down the leak by force-fitting a gasket into that place. i tighted the header and downpipe together and now the gasket sits crooked. it still created a leak and sounds like i guess a baseball card in the spokes of a bike..when u go into higher gears i dont know if that makes a difference.. icant really tell..but u do notice it more when ur not going as fast so i guess that makes sense. that could quite possibly be it i think. if anything.. u dont have a donut gasket at all in that place and u just have an annoyingly loud leak..its a quick fix.. take it to a shop and get the gasket and put it in..shouldnt be a big thing.

im no mechanic but from experience i think that could be your problem. if u do have a crack in the header..u should be able to see it.. if not, let ur engine cool down ocmpletely and start feeling around until u feel sumthing out of place.
Old 08-16-2007
Registered!!

yeah im talkting about the pre-cat pipe.....ohh okay thans so much guys!!
but yeah i didnt install the header so im not exactly sure if there iss one or not.....but who do i take it to and i really dont wnat to spend much money on it since i dont have much(just a kid)....isnt kamakaze header illegal??? do u think the shop would care if its legal or not???

...yeah its only in low speeds but doesnt do it all the time so yeah..
Old 08-22-2007
Registered!!

ashokudu is an unknown quantity at this point

well if it was cracked like mine was sure! but u can just find it easily by just feeling for it by a piece of paper. DONT GET BURNT! make sure u prep it well before u weld, i think they also make some kind of exaust seal paste kind of thingy that u can use.

SORRY FOR A LATE REPLY! WAS ON VACTION
Old 08-23-2007
Registered!!

hey guys got an update and no no cracks in the header at ALL! felt all around it an in that gap you can see that it was welded shut so yeah i think the headers fine except its a little off kilter but i dont know if that would have an effect....but yeah took some photos of the header and exhaust so should have some up soon....
so yeah any pther suggestions people PLEASE!! can it have something to do with a catback??maybe theres a crack in that??? i dont know its startying to get to me!!! PLEASE GUESS ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP!! ")
Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

still need help guys anymore suggestons cause its not a crack in the header.............could it be a crack in the exhaust......or maybe cause i have a acura rsx muffler???
Old 08-28-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

Just throwing this one at you ... but U sure its not the Throwout bearing ???

When i launch I hear somewhat the same kind of noise ur talkin about... As soon as u launce u hear it in 1st and second gear only and then the sound goes away once u reach 4k rpm ... Is that what ur problem is ? and the sound is like a GRRRRRRRRR ( increasing pitch) sound
Old 08-31-2007
Registered!!

yeah id say u and me have the same problem than....whats a throwout bearing???
Old 08-31-2007
Registered!!

nvm i know a a throwout bearing is now i looked it up but no it wouldnt be that cause i read if theres soemthing wrong with it it would only make that noise when the clutch pedal is in and mines in only whenyour off the clutch pedal cause you have to apply acceleration to make the noise....

how many belts are there in the engine??? just that one that you can see from looking under the hood??? cause if theres more i havewnt checked if those ones are messed up...
Old 08-31-2007
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point

well... if u have Upper Strut Bar then that might be the problem .. check under the strut bar.. that piece of metal might be rubbing against the strut bar.. noise only come durin first gear and second gear .. bearly thirth .. nothin fourth and fifth ..
if u dont have strut bar at all .. just ignore what i say.. good luck
Old 08-31-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

Originally Posted by breault5
nvm i know a a throwout bearing is now i looked it up but no it wouldnt be that cause i read if theres soemthing wrong with it it would only make that noise when the clutch pedal is in and mines in only whenyour off the clutch pedal cause you have to apply acceleration to make the noise....

how many belts are there in the engine??? just that one that you can see from looking under the hood??? cause if theres more i havewnt checked if those ones are messed up...
Im sorry I wrote the wrong name, What i meant was the Input Shaft Bearing.
This is kinda shitty coz i just got my new clutch installed like 3 hrs ago and i come home and the f*&*ing annoying noise is still there. So now i have to go back to the shop tomorrow to find out wats wrong now. Most likely those A&&holes didnt change the Input Shaft bearing
Old 08-31-2007
Registered!!

uhh thats sucks man!!
well yeah do you have a header on your car???
people have beeen saying it might be that??
Old 08-31-2007
Banned

no no headers .. stock
Old 09-01-2007

Input shaft bearing is not part of a clutch job, its part of a transmission overhaul. Unfortunately an ISB is one of the most common failures in a Honda (and probably others) transmission, but unless you know what you're doing, it can be a booger to replace. I know someone who can do they in about an hour, but he's also a god when it comes to rebuilding tranny's. Not a DIY kind of thing for a new guy.

Quick Reply: Noise?!?!?!?