Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NOS in an N/A Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imported_Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
NOS in an N/A Civic?

Is it possible to use NOS in a non turbo car (B16a civic) ?

I have heard of people doing this, though usually only turbo cars will use NOS.

Would it cause any harm if I tried it just once?
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

vtec12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its possible for sure. Some drag racing cars do it.
But why.. I have no idea. Its certainly not legal for street use anyway

I dont think one small shot would harm the engine, but continual use would probably do some damage.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

Tayler can only hope to improve
First of all, any car can use nitrous(not always safely but....) whether it be a street car, all motor, turbo, whatever, doesnt matter. General rule of thumb divide your hp my 2 and that is generally a safe shot to use.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_Mikey is an unknown quantity at this point
What are the consequences of continual usage?
Say 3 shots per week?
That has to cause some damage eventually, right?
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

Yes, 3 times a week is too much if you are running stock internals. Well i guess even if you had forged internals it would still be too much. Consequenes, horsepower loss, broken sh** such as head gaskets, rods, ect. I would not even suggest nitrous unless you know wtf you are doing, because sh** will break eventually. Yes it is fun to press the happy button and get thrown back in your seat a little(No it is not like two gay to furious) once in a while(maybe once a month) but other than that its a waste. Especially at 80 bucks a fill up.
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

imported_raven can only hope to improve
Nos

I agree with Tayler...using NOS on even modified internals is a risk; I will not reccomend using it, unless you are well versed in internal repairs. Definatley know what you are doing, or your going to run up a high bill for repairs.

If your dragging and have betted something, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to use the NOS, especially if that something is big.
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

twinkle can only hope to improve
People say street racing is dumb. Well I think using NOS is 100 times more dumb.

It is too dangerous and is not going to accomplish anything except make you feel better about yourself. You are never going to get a serious race with normal modders.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

TypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
It accomplishes alot, mostly going fast
And thats the idea of it.. so I would say it achieves its goal well
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

GoneIn60 is an unknown quantity at this point
any of our civics engines can handle a small shot from a wet system like 55 shot but yea after awhile your going to get the wear and tear from it. Surprisingly though NOS has gotten "smarter" in the past couple years as far as not hurting your engine as much.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

60 is right, Nitrous has gotten so much safer with the lines, and newer technology compared to a long time ago. It can be completely safe if you use it right. The only time i would ever use nitrous is to see what my car can do in the 1/4 mile at fastest time.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

eShutterBUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, you can use NOS a small amount without doing much damage to the engine. Keep it low down and you should be safe.

And its true, what everyone's saying, wait a few years and it will be entirely harmless.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

GT_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why, what is happening in a few years to make NOS harmless?

I dont think it will change.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

eShutterBUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Hehe it's an exaturation (sp). People were saying that NOS is a lot safer these days than it was years ago, so I was saying that in a few years it will be harmless but I was being sarcastic.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

imported_Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by eShutterBUG
Hehe it's an exaturation (sp). People were saying that NOS is a lot safer these days than it was years ago, so I was saying that in a few years it will be harmless but I was being sarcastic.
Ok, thought you were joking.
Its only as safe as the person using it makes it. If you dont know what you're doing then its dangerous.
Old 06-13-2006
Registered!!

vargasr66 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that it's only as safe as the person using it ... but have you not noticed that in the past few years the systems that control NOS are better than they used to be? Companies like VENOM and Nex are using computer controlled modules that make it ALMOST foolproof.. Also the COMPUCAR systems have made claims that they took a stock rental and added a NOS system and ran the quarter all day long with no problems.. IMO ,It's all in how you use it..
Old 06-13-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
that is true.. if you use it rght and make sure you have enough fuel, it is as safe as any turbo set up at a fraction of the price.. in a 150 whp car, spending 500 bucks on a nitrous sytem to get 200 whp is a lot better than 3k on a turbo set up.... to run the same h/p.. and with nitrous, (NOT NOS PEOPLE.. NOS IS A BRAND NOT A PRODUCT) you dont lose gas mileage because youre always wanting to boost... i will be purchasing a nitrous set up in a few months for my car that i'm buying and i plan on using roughly a hundred shot.. but it will be on a v8.. if i were to buy a nitrous kit for say, my impreza or a civic, i would probably buy a 50 shot or 75 at most.. but you have to be very very careful.. like installing wot switches, purge valve, etc etc.... and just atip for anyone wh decides they want to try, be sure you never EVER use teflon tape on fittings... pieces of teflon tape can fall ff and clog the solonoids and cause major damage.. i have experience w/ nitrous so if you have questions, let me now, send me a pm or something and i'll help you out w/ any questions
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

hotngacpl is an unknown quantity at this point
06 mentioned wet NOS I have a 25lb dry NOS kit that I have had for 2 years now sill in the garage. Only reason I havent put it on my car is b/c I am too scared something will happen and I don't feel like spending any money to fix it. I bought it from my friend and he had it on his 01 Accord. He ran an 80 shot each time he sprayed and used the whole 25lb bottle every weekend on stock internals for a year and nothing ever happened to his car. I have an 05 civic si, and I am looking into building the internals but until then I want more HP would it be safe for me to run an 80 shot of dry NOS about 3 times a week until I replace the internals in a month or so, or is there a chance of cracking my block????
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Are the 2005 SI's k20? I wouldnt run nitrous if i were you especially with the warranty and everything. Nitrous also gets expensive, the number of times you would fill it up you could probably get some minor NA mods and have it be decently quick.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

but nitrous is so much fun.. to answer the earlier question, i wouldn't run the dry shot on anything.. i would modify it to adda fuel solenoid and make it wa wet shot.. and i would say about a 50 shot would be fun on either of those cars... just make sure to propperly install it..
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

vargasr66 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree on the 50 -shot for the car but you might want to check the fuel system in the car . Some of the newer fuel systems do not have a fuel return like the older cars did and make some mods (no2 & forced induction) hard to do without major modifications to the fuel system itself. The absense of a return line and regulator from under the hood will make a lean fuel mix and that is bad on nitrous and turbo / supercharged engines.
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

GoneIn60 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know that most if not all kits come with their own injectors that compensate for any more fuel that your car might need so that you don't end up getting a lean fuel mixture
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

that is true for wet systems... but dry systems only spray nitrous