Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

my car idles to low

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tweety8324 is an unknown quantity at this point
my car idles to low

i have a 2002 automatic lx it idles at about 600. I want to know how i can fix it . can anyone help me does anybody have a pic so i can see where i can fix it.

Thank you for your help.
Old 12-04-2006
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Gearbox did a nice write up on it HERE!
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
There's also Gearbox's Adjusting idle DIY. That Gearbox, he's so helpful!
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I think that is normal. mine idles really low too, but has been like that since the day I got it. around 600-700 rpm. now if the car feels like its going to stall or something then you have a problem, if not, your ok.
Old 12-04-2006
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
yeah 700 is good.. 600 is skerry
Old 12-04-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
try to adjust the throttle cable slightly like the rest say, should help.
Old 12-04-2006
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
ever since i removed the resonator off my exhaust, my idle is like 500-600, idles great, 600-700 is normal, no worries, again unless its stalling, but an auto shouldnt stall
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
When I first read this I thought the car was running rough. Upon 2nd read, it doesn't say anything about running rough just it looks like it has a low idle. The tach is not always accurate and may read a bit lower than it actually is.

If it is running rough at idle, then may want to clean your throttle body and IACV. Then try to manually adjust. Definately do the idle relearn process.
Old 12-07-2006
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I usualy set mine with the screw and just go back and forth and try to find a smooth spot where it doesnt stick. You can hardly tell my car is running when it's just right. 01" EX 65,000 m
Old 12-07-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
might as well repost this... idle should be 700+/-50rpms, never use the screw, the idle is determined electronically. if you have an idle problem, the screw is not the way to fix it.

If your car is having trouble keeping idle 700 +/- 50rpms , then you need to take apart the air intake system and clean the throttle body and IAC valve.

1. remove air intake housing or aftermarket intake pipe.
2. remove throttle body. this is the thing with all the hose attached to it. most of the vacuum lines pull out, the ones held with clamps that connect to the IAC valve are coolant hoses. Make sure the car is cold and the radiator cap is removed before disconnecting these.

then pull the throttle lever open and disconnect the throttle and cruise cables by sliding the pin out through the hole. then remove the 4 bolts (red highlight) holding the throttle body on the intake manifold.

remove thr throttle body and clean all the carbon off using a throttle body/carb spray cleaner. metal polish makes it shiny.

remove the three screws holding the IACV to the throttle body and take it off. there are gaskets between the icav and tb but also between the tb and intake manifold. you can get new ones from honda (recommended) or reuse the old ones. spray carb cleaner all inside the valve openings and use q-tips if necessary to remove all carbon. this may take a while and require alot of spraying. it should look like this. If possible, let the piece dry overnight. Otherwise use a hair dryer to remove most of the liquid residue and reinstall in a few hours.

Put the IACV back onto the throttle body and reinstall on the car. be sure to tighten the bolts to 20 ft/lbs and reconnect all the coolant, vacuum, and sensor lines along with the throttle cables. reinstall the air intake.

IDLE LEARN

After installation of TB is complete, start the car and drive it until the engine is at full operating temperature. Idle may be rough or erratic at this point.

Park the car, turn off the engine, and pop the hood. Locate the fuse box and lift up the top cover. Using the supplied fuse puller, remove the FI ECU fuse for at least 10 seconds. This will reset the computer without erasing radio presets.

Replace the fuse and close the box. Make sure that all electronics and accessories are in the off position (fan, a/c, radio, lights, etc). Start the car and let it idle for 10 minutes with the hood closed. Do not press on the gas or turn on any accessories during this time.

After 10 minutes, turn off the car. The idle speed should now be set. Start the car and go drive like you normally would so the PCM can relearn the fuel maps. Idle should now be smooth.
Old 12-08-2006
Registered!!

tweety8324 is an unknown quantity at this point
THANKS MAN its very very helpfull
Old 01-10-2007
Registered!!

amatias is an unknown quantity at this point
A universal grounding kit and a voltage stabilizer can help too.