Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cold weather problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chickenbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Cold weather problems!!!!!

Hey all, whats up? I have a few problems that seem to relate to the fact that it is very very cold out (-34c, -25f) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1)The rear suspention squeaks something terrible when I go over bigger bumps. If the road is only a little rough, it doesnt seem to squeak. I have been to the dealership about this last winter, and they said it was normal. I have had alot of MUCH older cars, and have never seen this, it just doesnt seem like it should be "normal"

2)The clutch becomes unbelivably stiff when I am out on the highway. It isnt too bad when I am driving around town. I suspect that all the cold air when you are driving at high speeds makes the hydralic fluid alot thicker, but I am not super car smart either, so some insight would be nice.

I have got a 2004 honda civic with 52000km's on it. And just as a note, none of these problems happen when its warm out. Thanks guys!
Old 11-26-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
1. have them lube the rear sway bushings.

2. not sure, i have auto and it slips when cold.
Old 11-26-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Man, I'm surprised the civic STARTS in that weather. Everything gets stiff as it gets colder. Hope you have a block heater at least.
Old 11-26-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ha my car starts fine outside and some winter days it gets to 10F. the seats are so hard it feels like im sitting on wood lol
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

SOAD is on a distinguished road
my car starts fine in the winter too, although one time it didnt start after we had a 3 day blizzard and my engine bay had snow all over it....dont know what the **** that was, been good ever since it was jumped than
Old 11-26-2006
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
as far as the squeak, check on the TSB for the rear knuckle front bushing, mine sqeaks, here is the link, thanks to the original poster...
http://www.geocities.com/pfeifferperformance/TSBs.html
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

how about the clutch, am I right about that?
Old 11-27-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Yeah, I think you are right about the clutch fluid getting thick. Not sure what it's rated for, but you might look into changing it out for fluid rated for extreme conditions.

Seriously, that's pretty cold. I'd be looking for a warm blanket and a fireplace.
Old 11-28-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch is normal when that cold, should feel stiff and slow at those temps.
Old 11-28-2006
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
a remote starter is the best investment you could ever make

i got mine when i still lived in the northeast... now im here in socal... i still love it
Old 11-29-2006
Registered!!

Axe Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by againifall
a remote starter is the best investment you could ever make

i got mine when i still lived in the northeast... now im here in socal... i still love it

Not in a manual transmission vehicle. Not just flat out dangerous but in some places even illegal.
Old 11-29-2006
Registered!!

I have a command start. You can get ones made specifically for manuals, here in Canada anyways. They are just really picky about being in neutral and having the e-brake on. Also have a block heater, wouldnt dream of not using one. Its -37c today!
Old 11-29-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
damn thats cold