Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
percy_power is an unknown quantity at this point
Throttle Position Sensor

I tried searching this forum for some info on this but came up with more questions. So I figured I'd just start another thread. I have a 2002 Civic Coupe LX 150,000KM. Light came on, took it in and was told it was due to the throttle position sensor. I hadn't even heard of this before so looked it up and can't find a lot of info about it. It's very expensive to fix and I don't know what to do...is the car safe to drive around while I figure this out? What does this sensor control?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006
Registered!!

d17acivic is an unknown quantity at this point
the car should be safe to drive. it is the sensor and black clip that is on the throttle body it should have a few wires running to it i would check to insure that the wire is clipped in and if it is in fact still throwing the code i would go to a junkyard or LKQ maybe even ebay and try to find a throttle body with a tps for a d17a1
Old 11-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well how does the car drive?

The Throttle position sensor sends a signal to the ecm of the position of the throttle plate. that way the ecm can add or reduce fuel. it also is used in conjunction with the automatic transmission. it helps with the shift points.
Old 11-11-2006
Registered!!

percy_power is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by streetglower
well how does the car drive?

The Throttle position sensor sends a signal to the ecm of the position of the throttle plate. that way the ecm can add or reduce fuel. it also is used in conjunction with the automatic transmission. it helps with the shift points.
Took it out this morning to run errands, was OK for the first 10 minutes, engine light was off, then the light came back on. It's an automatic and it didn't want to change gears, was revving high not even touching the throttle.

Anyway, I spoke with my Honda garage over the phone and they said they would have to replace the whole throttle body, not just the sensor...how come you can't just get a new sensor? Where is the sensor located?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
honda is correct, the sensor cant be purchased seperatley, it is part of the throttle body. Now some have said you can remove the sensor from the throttle body and replace it with one purchased from ebay, but you will have to calibrate it. Not sure if true or not.

But I had the same issue when my car was under warranty. the check engine light came on and the shifter wouldnt come out of park sometimes and I couldnt get out of first gear. it was around $270 for the part. not sure how much they charge labor, I was under warranty, but if you want to replace it yourself, just remove the air filter box and it is right there. may have to remove a few other things, but not sure.
Old 11-15-2006
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
I'd offer up the '02 TB I've got laying around but it's for a 5 speed manual.
Old 11-15-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
same happened to me, the auto trans wouldnt shift well if at all. i limped it home and swapped the throttle body. try and find a used one but be sure its for an auto. the manual tb will not work.
Old 09-10-2012
Registered!!

bigteddybear is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Throttle Position Sensor

Originally Posted by sql_civic
I'd offer up the '02 TB I've got laying around but it's for a 5 speed manual.

Do you still have the TB for 02 Civic 5 speed manual? I need one please let me know how to get in touch. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I bought my oem tps sensor from this seller on ebay and installed it using a volt meter.

Genuine HONDA 01 02 03 04 05 CIVIC 1.7 OEM throttle position sensor TPS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HOND...8322b2&vxp=mtr
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

TheDarkKight is an unknown quantity at this point

finally rebuilt my 1995 Honda Civic everything is running great but the idling is out of control, Already changed out the idle control valve ( brand new) went on you tube to see what else it could be? So i tired to tighten the Air control valve and nothing still? So maybe i need to change the the throttle position sensor but i watched a video ( once again) and a few guys said you have to cut off the old throttle position sensor and put new screw holes? idk from the looks of it i thought you would just unscrew the old one and and screw the new one on? Im not sure what i could be? and the person who rebuilt my engine wont answer my calls or want to to drop it off for a few day but his few days become weeks and i live in Portland Oregon and it rains to much to not have a car haha if anyone could help me out that would be GREAT!![YOUTUBE]/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheDarkKight
finally rebuilt my 1995 Honda Civic everything is running great but the idling is out of control, Already changed out the idle control valve ( brand new) went on you tube to see what else it could be? So i tired to tighten the Air control valve and nothing still? So maybe i need to change the the throttle position sensor but i watched a video ( once again) and a few guys said you have to cut off the old throttle position sensor and put new screw holes? idk from the looks of it i thought you would just unscrew the old one and and screw the new one on? Im not sure what i could be? and the person who rebuilt my engine wont answer my calls or want to to drop it off for a few day but his few days become weeks and i live in Portland Oregon and it rains to much to not have a car haha if anyone could help me out that would be GREAT!!/YOUTUBE]
first of all you should start your own thread, this one is years old,

what makes you think the problem is a sensor?

are you getting any codes? is your engine light coming on?

high idle could be many things, not just a sensor, it could be something as simple as your intake gaskets leaking!
Old 07-06-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by percy_power
I tried searching this forum for some info on this but came up with more questions. So I figured I'd just start another thread. I have a 2002 Civic Coupe LX 150,000KM. Light came on, took it in and was told it was due to the throttle position sensor. I hadn't even heard of this before so looked it up and can't find a lot of info about it. It's very expensive to fix and I don't know what to do...is the car safe to drive around while I figure this out? What does this sensor control?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The TPS directly affects shift points and engine idle. Replacing mine made both better, but probably something only I would notice and isn't part of routine maintenance. This is a good project if you're just learning how to use a multimeter. The throttle position sensor looks like a spring-loaded clock and moves as an extension of the throttle plate to send an electrical signal about its location. The correct range is from 0.5v closed to 4.5v WOT, which you can adjust by rotating the sensor. Green is ground (black lead) and red is the wire you want the value from (red lead) from the 20v setting on your multimeter. You can back-probe the wires with something like a safety pin. Taking off the air cleaner (four 10mm bolts and one 8mm screw on a hose clamp) and throttle body (four 10mm bolts on the throttle body, 2 clips around the IAC valve and 2 around the EVAP hoses) requires sockets with an extension and pliers for removing clips. You need your keys in the ignition with a half turn so there's power going to the sensor. The original screws are most likely riveted, so be prepared for a fight with some pliers or slotting them out with a Dremel.

Last edited by bbynams; 07-06-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave88LX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bbynams
The TPS directly affects shift points and engine idle. Replacing mine made both better, but probably something only I would notice and isn't part of routine maintenance. This is a good project if you're just learning how to use a multimeter. The throttle position sensor looks like a spring-loaded clock and moves as an extension of the throttle plate to send an electrical signal about its location. The correct range is from 0.5v closed to 4.5v WOT, which you can adjust by rotating the sensor. Green is ground (black lead) and red is the wire you want the value from (red lead) from the 20v setting on your multimeter. You can back-probe the wires with something like a safety pin. Taking off the air cleaner (four 10mm bolts and one 8mm screw on a hose clamp) and throttle body (four 10mm bolts on the throttle body, 2 clips around the IAC valve and 2 around the EVAP hoses) requires sockets with an extension and pliers for removing clips. You need your keys in the ignition with a half turn so there's power going to the sensor. The original screws are most likely riveted, so be prepared for a fight with some pliers or slotting them out with a Dremel.

I haven't back probe yet. But I did hook up to my ECU to see what was happening. I just put a new-used throttle body on my 2005 Civic Hybrid. I was previously having a hunting idle and wanted to eliminate the IAC or TPS.

So now the hunting idle is gone, but I do have a high idle still. I'm not sure what I can do to bring the idle down. I'm not sure if there's a good idle relearn process I can do, or if I need to bring it somewhere and have the ECU programmed.

My TPS is showing 9.4% at idle, I would think it would be 0%? WOT shows 90%.

Any thoughts? I could create my own thread too if that's better.

Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

PatrickHall1701 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am new here and I am having a problem with my 2005 Honda Civic EX. Right now it will not accelerate above 200 rpms in first gear and it will also not rev above 200 rpms in Neutral. Everyone keeps telilng it is my CAT and even though a friend of mine found a shop that would only charge 200 for parts and labor. 200 bucks is 200 bucks. I googled the problem and it mentions the throttle body sensor and other sensors I have already replaced including the upstream 02 sensor. The check engine light is on and the only code it is throwing is still showing is for the upstream 02 sensor which as I just stated I have already replaced. I am just if maybe it could be the throttle body sensor or even the camshaft sensor as a co-worker of mine suggests. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day
Old 10-21-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PatrickHall1701
Hello,

I am new here and I am having a problem with my 2005 Honda Civic EX. Right now it will not accelerate above 200 rpms in first gear and it will also not rev above 200 rpms in Neutral. Everyone keeps telilng it is my CAT and even though a friend of mine found a shop that would only charge 200 for parts and labor. 200 bucks is 200 bucks. I googled the problem and it mentions the throttle body sensor and other sensors I have already replaced including the upstream 02 sensor. The check engine light is on and the only code it is throwing is still showing is for the upstream 02 sensor which as I just stated I have already replaced. I am just if maybe it could be the throttle body sensor or even the camshaft sensor as a co-worker of mine suggests. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day
Did you use an OE sensor? Was the ECU reset after it was installed?
Old 10-21-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If you remove the front 02 sensor does that improve acceleration?
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat

No it was not. I was afraid to drive it around the block until the engine reached operating temperature.
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
If you remove the front 02 sensor does that improve acceleration?

No why would I remove a new 02 Sensor?
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

OE Sensor?
Old 10-21-2019
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

OE as in NTK or Denso brand. Not a cheap universal one they try to sell you at the parts store for $60.

The ECU needs to be reset by disconnecting the battery so it can clear the code and go through its routine again.
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

OE as in NTK or Denso brand. Not a cheap universal one they try to sell you at the parts store for $60.

The ECU needs to be reset by disconnecting the battery so it can clear the code and go through its routine again.

Okay that could a the problem. The car has been sitting for a a while and eventually the battery was dead over a week. After i had O'Reilly's recharge the battery and I started the car again the check engine light was still on and the car still would not rev or accelerate over 200 rpms
Old 10-21-2019
Prelude Owner

If you used the wrong/junk O2 sensor it won't matter how many times you reset it.
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

If you used the wrong/junk O2 sensor it won't matter how many times you reset it.
Even though I got the 02 Sensor on amazon I made sure it could be used for a 05 Honda Civic EX
Old 10-21-2019
Prelude Owner

Was it an NTK or Denso?

I don't care what Amazon or the parts people said would fit in the hole. Honda's are very picky about O2 sensors. Do you have a link or part number?

It was the up stream sensor which is actually an Air Fuel Ratio sensor correct? The second sensor is and oxygen sensor and does a different job. They are not interchangeable.
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

Was it an NTK or Denso?

I don't care what Amazon or the parts people said would fit in the hole. Honda's are very picky about O2 sensors. Do you have a link or part number?

It was the up stream sensor which is actually an Air Fuel Ratio sensor correct? The second sensor is and oxygen sensor and does a different job. They are not interchangeable.

I got what my co-workers brother who works for the local Honda dealership maintainence told me I could get.
Old 10-21-2019
Prelude Owner

Part number?
Link?
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

Part number?
Link?

This one
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PatrickHall1701

This one

And yes the new part matched the old part that was taken out exactly
Old 10-21-2019
Prelude Owner

Not the correct one. Cheap Chinese junk.

Buy a Denso or NTK brand. It will cost a pretty penny.
Old 10-21-2019
Registered!!

Not the correct one. Cheap Chinese junk.

Buy a Denso or NTK brand. It will cost a pretty penny.

When your rent is 1300 bucks and your car payment is 300 bucks you go the cheapest route with guidence from a Honda maintenance guy

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor