Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Spots on rear windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nyte will become famous soon enoughNyte will become famous soon enough
Spots on rear windshield.

i've just noticed that there are alot of "spots" that are scattered on my rear windshield when my car is in direct sunlight. Does anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it? the only way that i thought of fixing it is by tinting it cuz i was gonna do it anyways. but i'm j/w why the spots are there, its prolly over 100 lol. I'll get a pic when i can find my camera.
Old 08-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
water spots? use no touch auto glass stripper available from napa. then put some rain-x to keep it clean.
Old 08-14-2006
Registered!!

Nyte will become famous soon enoughNyte will become famous soon enough
actually, come to think about it. ever since i've been using rain-x i've been seeing the spots.
Old 08-14-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
well i would have said that it was ur tint because when I wear sunglasses well this one pair I can see the dots in every single persons car that has tint....but you dont have tint lol
Old 08-15-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
pics? i dont have any spots because i use rain-x. but you need to strip the glass first otherwise it will just wash off and you'll get the spots again.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
i dont think he means hard water spots. i think the rear window is delamming(sp) i have actually noticed it on my rear window as well. in this case the only way to fix it is to replace the window. tint just make it less apparent but it doesnt fix it. there is actually 2 peices of glass with a lamination in between for safety. when the glass starts to pull apart from the lamination its called delamming. youll notice a lot of cars actually face this problem. its just more apparent in non-tinted windows. you can usually only see it at certain angles
Old 08-15-2006
Premium Member

interesting, pics would help cause i've seen alot of old cars and never noticed this.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
When I wear my polarized sunglasses, just about every car I see has spots all over the rear window, no joke.

Also when I had my 02EX when it was new, there were big round spots where it looked like the suction machine that places the window in at the plant left suction marks, they were about 6" in diam byt went away after a year or so.

Last edited by solar; 08-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
illl see if i can snap pics. if it will even show up in the pics. i see it a lot around here. but for some reason i see it on newer cars more than older ones. probably because older cars didnt need safety glass in the rear.......
Old 08-15-2006
Premium Member

i heard theres film on the front windshield too?
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i heard theres film on the front windshield too?
oh yeah there is film on all newer windows. its a safety feature now a days. its usually laminated in between the glass though so there wont be any issues with scratching the film. if you notice too in every window on your car in one of the corners there is markings of the manufacturer. well that is also the weak spot on the window. firefighters and rescue assistance carry a steel pen like aparatus that they use to stab the windshield in that corner and the entire window will shatter. that is so they can easily remove the glass which stays together because of the film and pull you to safety!!!

Last edited by familycar; 08-15-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I have also noticed these spots, but with polarized sunglasses, you can see them more clearly and you can see them on almost everyones cars. So I have accepted this as normal.