Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

its kinda hard to explain

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilaphganboi is an unknown quantity at this point
its kinda hard to explain

hey guys, my automatic 02 ex wants to shift at 3k rpm but will rev itself up to 3.5k rpm and then shift (its as if it lags). when it shifts it pulls to the right as if it has a lot of torque. this only happens when the engine is cold and only for the first gear. all of the other shifts in the car are fine and smooth. not a single problem. i dont really know how to explain it.
Old 07-16-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its called slipping. the clutch plates are breaking or contaminated, actually this is a factory defect. mine does the same and it only has 50k miles. its an 02. it may last for another year tops before it wont shift and you'll need a new one.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

so a new tranny? or just plates?

it wont do it if the engine is warmed up tho

Last edited by lilaphganboi; 07-16-2006 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
new tranny. mine wont do it warmed up either. the fluid is too thick when cold and can't properly lubricate. but believe me it will get worse and will rev up more as the problem continues.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

damn, appreciate the help then.
what do you think i should do?
just sell the car or invest in a new tranny?
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
nevermind. A/T
Old 07-19-2006
Registered!!

WhiteHalf is an unknown quantity at this point
Bring it to Honda ... shouldn't it be under warranty ?
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

i just bought the car from dealer auction so i dont have any warranty info.
Old 07-24-2006
Premium Member

call up american honda corporate office, be nice and say you love honda always buy em and that youre disappointed in the quality, you know the problem exists with defective clutch carrier. they will usually offer to pay some of the repair bill even if the car isnt under warranty.
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
ok I have to voice my opinion here. What is happening with your tranny, to me is normal.

Now it may or may not be normal, but mine does the same thing. only when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. And only when cold. Other then that, it shifts fine.

For anyone who reads this thread, if your AT civic has been sitting all night long, go outside and get it in and immediately go driving it and see if there is a delay in any shift while the car is still cold. If there isnt, then maybe there is a underlying problem here that I may need to get tooken care of. If everyone else experiences the same thing, then it may be one of the civics features of the tranny.