Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Almost stalls with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocknpro 00EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Almost stalls with AC on

My 2000 EX almost stalls out when I hit the gas from a dead stop during 110 degrees when the AC is on. 86k miles, AT runs great otherwise. Ideas comments, suggestions. I just bought it and have done nothing to it and don't know the history. Thanx
Old 06-13-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the ac puts alot of stress on the motor, charging system, and well everything. you may just need to clean the throttle body and idle air control valve. that usually fixes any idle issues cause its all computer controled.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Thank you for your reply. I'm a bit surprised at the amount of replys on this forum, its one of the weaker ones I go to.

Normally I drive the car on the highway only, and it does fine. When its hot and I'm in town, it'll try to stall out from a dead stop, once it catches itself it seems to be fine.

As far as cleaning the throttle body and idle air control valve, are these things I can do my self? I'm pretty handy, but this is the first smaller motor I've worked on. Do you know of a site where I can find out tech info or online manuals I can look at?

Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about
Hey, after you get it done, can you post if it corrects the problem? My idle is kind of weak too
Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Will do.
Old 06-15-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
super easy. i even did mine. just remove the throttle body which is simple, disconnect hoses and wires, coolant lines, and pull it off. the iac valve is the part on the throttle body that has the coolant lines plugged in. take that off by removing screws, then spray all over the inside with carb cleaner. can clean the throttle body too. get a few soft cloths to wipe. it should look like this when you're done. then put it all back and reset the ecu/do idle relearn. this involves warming the car to temp, turning off, unplug battery or pull out FIECU fuse, then put back and start car. let it idle with no gas or load, all accessories off, for 10 mins. then shut off, turn on and drive it around. for the test drive just leave the ac off. then stop and try it out to see what happens. i have a feeling it will be fine.

Old 06-15-2006
Registered!!

Very cool, thanx for the advice. Looks like you did it between the mothers polish and the crackers on the dinning room table! Thanx again! I'll let you know how I do....