Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hit a curb the other day Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Hit a curb the other day Question

Hello, it has been awhile since I posted here.

I hit a curb pretty hard, a truck came in to my lane and I did not realize I was that close to the curb, but I hit the curb going about 20 mph. I was able to drive it home but the steering wheel was off and it drove funny. I was around the corner from my parents house because I was going to go pick up my son. I finally got it into the drive way.

I jacked it up and removed the damaged rim and hub cap, the hub cap was stuck to the rim.

Right off i noticed the lower arm was bent and the stabilizer (spelling) link broke.

So I got the parts to replace them and just got a rim today which there is no tire on it at this time but will go do that later.

I checked all the other boots, also checked to see if there was any play on the tie end rods, the axle, and the power steering. ever thing looks and feels good, no leaks.

With the tire off and the low arm off I placed a small jack and a piece off wood under the brake/knukle (spelling) and had the strut go up and down to check for leaks, there are no leaks and the top under the hood looks good. So I think the strut is ok. I am going to place everything back to gether and then drive it and then get it alignment done. Before i do this should I replace the strut?

I also replaced the ball joint boot. I just dont want to put it all together and need to tear it down again, i dont mind but i really dont have a lot of time, thank you all.

please no insurance question or asking about the truck to see if they stopped. thank you

I also checked the unibody and there was nothing wrong with that but the alignment will tell me more later. Also my wife has the same car, year and model. I compared what i could from her car to mine and everything seems ok.
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough
Just bounce the car up and down on the questionable side and see what happens. That will give you a good idea whether to replace it or not.
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point
I put everything back together except for the placing the tire on the new rim, i will do that tomorrow - everything seemsed to line up pretty good - i will see what happens tomorrow or sat.
Old 06-09-2006
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
you would be surprised how little of a bend in the strut or knuckle will **** up the alignment. bet bet is to get the alignment checked and go from there