Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Road Noise...Can't figure it out...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k20EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Road Noise...Can't figure it out...HELP

I have a 2001 civic ex coupe, with a K20 and a 6 speed swapped from a reputable professional shop. I did a rear disc swap from a ep3, and put a full set of tein ss coilovers on it. I began getting road noise that would start roaring at higher speeds, and I can't tell what it is. I then had new tires put on the car at all corners and had an alligment done. The road noise is still there. I thought it might be a bad wheel bearing, so I jacked the car up and tried to wiggle the wheels vertically to check for play (signs of a bad bearing). Can't notice any at all. Im stumped!! Anyone have any similar issues, or have any ideas what it might be?? Please let me know, because its driving me nuts and keeping me from enjoying an otherwise pleasant ride.
Old 01-28-2006
Registered!!

A little help anybody??
Old 01-29-2006
Registered!!

tarheel365 is an unknown quantity at this point
wut does this road noise sound like?
...hey where'd u get ur swap done at? how much?
Old 01-29-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yea what kind of road noise? usually its from different tires but if you didn't have it before i don't know. a few other swapped guys on here say its noisy too.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

The road noise sounds like i have 35" tires on my civic, like a raised-up Jeep, as it progressively gets louder with speed. The noise was not there when I first bought the car (which was already swapped at the time), then it developed, I put new tires on it and its still there. So I dont believe it is a tire issue. The swap was done by Ultimate in Sterling, VA. I bought the car with the swap already done, but I have all the paperwork. All HASport mounts, wiring, axles, and a lot of the needed OEM parts were purchased new. I lucked out with it, and feel confident that the swap was done correctly. Just trying to quiet this road noise .
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

The engine and all obviously is louder than a stock EM2, but there is definately something else going on here with road noise.
Old 01-30-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
uhhh ... road noise?

it's probably just your tires ... unless you specify otherwise
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

From earier in my intial post, I tried to explain that the road noise was there, I got new tires and an alignment, and it is still there. Any other ideas, othere than tires??
Old 01-30-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
it doesn't matter. tires make noise whether you have new or old tires. it depends on what kind you have
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
dynamat the doors man, huge difference mang...
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

dragman99 is an unknown quantity at this point
what kind of tires were put on?
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

legend921 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to say that it is your wheel bearing even though there is no play in the wheel.
Old 01-30-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
if it is only road noise, its the tire. new tire doesn't mean it will be quiet. my civic off the lot had terrible road noise with firestone tires and tons of dynamat. now i have bridgestone turanza, no carpet padding, no dynamat, and its 2x quieter than the stock tires were. wheel bearing is also possible.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

dragman99 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had a set of hankook mileage plus tires. they wear good but damn, they were noisy. if you can tell a difference in the noise over different types of asphalt, then it's your tires.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

I put on ultra high performance all-season Kuhmo Ecsta ASXs in a 255/60/16 size. They were professionally mounted and balanced along with an allignment. The road nosie was not there when I got the car, then it developed, and then continued to stay there even after the new tires. These new tire are rated a 8.3/10 for noise comfort, so I didnt think that is what would be causing the noise. How else would I check for a bad wheel bearing, other than checking for movement/play vertically in the wheel?? BTW, I do appreciate all your guys time and comments frome experience
Old 02-03-2006
Registered!!

Bump
Old 02-03-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
if its progressive its got to be wheel bearing...only REAL way to tell is by inspecting it not shaking the tire...I shook mine and it was stiff, but it was the bearing.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

OK, well, how would I inspect it then?? Any recommendations for whjat to do next?? I just drove 800 miles this weekend, and it was loud, but didnt get worse, as far as I can tell. I did notice that as I was cruising the interstate at 75 mph, and hit a gentle bump or dip in the road, the roaring would fluctuate (quieter on the rebound). Maybe that will help tip someone off...keep the knowledge coming guys...I wanted to make a trip to Panama City this May, and want to have this cleared up by then....thanks
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
dude, it really could be anything, but since it changes with suspension travel, hell, it could even be the axles....your most likely culprit though is the bearings. think about it...stress is taken off the bearing on the rebound, 'specially since you were cruisin' and not flooring it. Take it to a reputable shop and have them take a look at your suspension man. Shouldn't cost too much to replace the bearings...or you could do it yourself. But you don't seem much like a DIYer IMO.
Old 02-06-2006

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
best thing to do is buy the part for 30 -40 bux and get a reputable shop tio install. labor will be about 150-200 because it will have to be pressed.

200 for piece of mind or more when everything else starts unraveling......
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
ok well first off you cant have a 255/60/16 kumho doesnt have a tire that size. so hopefully you meant a 225/60/16. but even if, that tire is huge. that is why he has road noise. that tire is 26.63" tall a 225/40/18 which is what i have is 25.09" tall. that is almost an inch difference and i have road noise with my tires. your hole problem lyes in the tires you have. they are frikin huge its not your wheel bering or anything else besides your tires
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

LOL, yeah, they are 205/50/16's...my bad man...not that big...still think its a tire issue??

tuningmycivic....actually, I consider myself a DIYer in most aspects...have done all my bolt-ons, a rear drum to disc swap, replaced my coilovers, and swapped out a VW engine a couple of years ago, and have never taken any of my cars to "Jiffy-Lube" to get the oil changed....not trying to be ignorant, just dont know everything about all aspects of my car yet, thats why Im here to learn

does anyone know how to exactly determine which bearing it is?? Id like to do this myself, so I also need to know if the front or rears needs to be pressed.....thanks again for your guys input...keep it coming
Old 02-16-2006

Originally Posted by k20EX
LOL, yeah, they are 205/50/16's...my bad man...not that big...still think its a tire issue??

tuningmycivic....actually, I consider myself a DIYer in most aspects...have done all my bolt-ons, a rear drum to disc swap, replaced my coilovers, and swapped out a VW engine a couple of years ago, and have never taken any of my cars to "Jiffy-Lube" to get the oil changed....not trying to be ignorant, just dont know everything about all aspects of my car yet, thats why Im here to learn

does anyone know how to exactly determine which bearing it is?? Id like to do this myself, so I also need to know if the front or rears needs to be pressed.....thanks again for your guys input...keep it coming

you can shake the wheel left to right but like I said earlier its better to just pull the **** off and check...but 'usually' the one that rocks hard is the bad one.
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

ive tried to shake the wheel when its jacked up, and i cant notice any movement. explain what you check to see if it is hard?? sorry for being ignorant to this topic
Old 02-22-2006

you can check by leaving the keys in the ignition turned to acc (so the steering wheel doesn't lock) and turn the wheel left to right, but short tiny movements (like 1 to 3 inches or so) like the way old people dance with their hands ....maybe I can take some video later and show you....
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

OK, when I do that, what do I lok for to indicate a failure in the wheel bearing? Do I need someone to do this while I observe the wheels? This is only to check the fron wheels, correct?
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
Originally Posted by k20EX
OK, when I do that, what do I look for to indicate a failure in the wheel bearing? Do I need someone to do this while I observe the wheels? This is only to check the fron wheels, correct?
grab the top and the bottom of the wheel with the front end completely off the ground. if you have a bad berring it should have some play. like you will feel it kinda shimmy or shift. it will be apparent if its there. otherwise i would attribute it to the tires you chose. if the tread wear is soft most likely youll have some road noise. a harder tire will have more tread life and less road noise becasue it has less traction and the tire compound isnt gripping the ground as well. have you noticed a difference in milage at all?? is it a grinding noise or a humm does your brake pedal pulse when your brakes are applied???
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

I have checked all 4 tires for the supposed vertical shift/play in the bearing my trying to shake the the tire from top to bottom while jacked up. NO MOVEMENT on any of the wheels when they are off the ground. My tire treads are in this direction:

[\\\\\\] [\\\\\\]

FRONT (looking at the top of the tires) REAR

[\\\\\\] [\\\\\\]

Is the correct orientation for the tires?? Could this be causing my road noise?? My tires are W-rated Kuhmo Ecsta ASX Ultra High Performance All Seasons. Based on 935 reviews of these tires from TireRack.com....Noise Comfort = 8.2/10, Ride Comfort = 8.3/10.......I havent really noticed a difference in mileage, but I also dont keep a record of it either, so I wouldnt exactly know (what would cause a drop a mileage in this road noise department). At high speed it seems like a load humm, or load solid vibration. But sometimes at low speeds driving slow through a parking lot, I think I hear/feel it grinding some. I can't tell and obvious brake pedal pulse. Any more suggestions or opinions will be of great help....Since my wheels are not shift/playing when I try to wiggle them, does this mean that all 4 of my wheel bearings are still good?? LET ME KNOW PEOPLE...may have to use some tax return money and take it to a local shop....BLAH...HELP
Old 04-20-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
try checking the tire sidewalls for directional arrows/marks. road noise may be from improper mounting on unidirectional tires. americastire mounted one of my p6 pirellis backwards on the rim and it caused hella noise and vibration, even shaking left and right on the road. as soon as i had them flip it the noise and any problems disappeared
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

I checked, and all that it says it "OUTSIDE" on the sidewall, which was done correctly, but if you flip the tire around to the other side of the car, the direction flips, but its still on the outside, if that makes sense. Anyone with knowledge of proper tire tread direction, please comment.....

Quick Reply: Road Noise...Can't figure it out...HELP