Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Member about to do first fix-it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GoneIn60Seconds is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up New Member about to do first fix-it...

This is my first post and I am glad to see there is a lot of info about our civics all in one place. I just got a 01 Civic and am looking to do my first fix-it project. I have to change the motor mounts (which I read here it goes out all the time). Im opting for the polyurethane inserts because I dont want to do this 2 a year and so on. So my first question is... what do i have to lookout for when changing these mounts? Is there something else I can do while I'm down there? Any advice and tips will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-16-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
clean the bay out completey.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

gmcuajo can only hope to improve
What mount you have to replace? The most common is the front mount and the hydraulic mount (on the timing belt side).

Replace the motor mounts is very easy. Just logic, all the bolts you take off reinstall them in the same place.

With the inserts (those just are for front and back mounts):
Start with the front mount, then the one on the back of the engine, then the one in transmission side, the the hydraulic (timing belt side). If some the mounts are in good condition you don't need to replace all of them with a newone.

1. First remove all the rubber "flashs" from the mount. (I don't remeber if this is the correct term for that, but on the insert interior all the rubber that left from the mold).
2. Clean it.
3. Put both inserts on the mounts and check if them fits well. If them have some space (you see the insert is bigger that it supposed to be) between the insert and the mount, then you have trim the inner part of the insert. Trim just what is necesary to correct fit.
4. Remove the mount, and replace it. Just loose the bolts and replace them in the same place. Do not over tighten the bolts. Don't use "pry bars" or something like that.
5. If you want, but not necessary, you can attach the inserts with windshield urethane glue (homemadeturbo.com).

P.S.
The insert will limitate the movement of the engine, so the engine vibrations will be transfered to the entire body and cars interior.

Last edited by gmcuajo; 01-17-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

If drive a 01 civic LX. I installed the mounts with the inserts to the front and rear mounts (use the windshield glue), and replace the hydraulic mount (timing belt side) with a newone.

Then I had a collision with a tree (the tree just smile in front of me) and the hydraulic mount becomes broke again. I don't think to spend some $100 in a new mounts was a goos idea. So I took my old mount (broken) clean it and remove all the oil, and fill it with the windshield urethane glue (is like a silicone glue but very strong). Then put both parts as them supposed to be let them set for about 24 hours. Replace it and from 6 month this is the kind of motor mount I have in my car.

It makes some vibrations, but really works. In the 1/4 mile I release the clutch about 4000-4500 rpm, or more, and all the mounts are there.

Even my cousin have "fixed" in his 02 civic the front motor mount (was broken) with that urethane glue (no inserts) some month ago and it works great until now. I really recomend a new mount if your is broken.

Use a mechanic tool (silicone gun) to take out the glue from the tube, the common gun for carpenters will bend beacause that glue is haden to take out.

P.S.
Never release the clutch at that rpm, the water pump bearing and other parts becomes to do a noise.

Last edited by gmcuajo; 01-17-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Quick newb question, how can I tell if my mounts are broken and how much to replace?
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DDragon7
Quick newb question, how can I tell if my mounts are broken and how much to replace?
If your engine have an abnormal movement (vibrations, etc) this can be broken mounts. The only way to know if they are broken is looking at them.
For the price, slhonda.com give you prices and part numbers. Then you can go to a local dealer with that part number (and tell them the model/year).
For the mechanics quotation, some 1-2 hours.
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Does it count when my car jerks back and forth in first gear when its going really slow when I add some gas then let go of the pedal? Sometimes if Im going in first gear and just before its about to make a jerking motion, I press the clutch in and I hear this thud in the engine.