Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Road Noise!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005
this has been an atl01 production..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atl01 will become famous soon enough
Road Noise!!!!!!

Hello all, i need some help i am having a LOT of road noise comeing from my car. It almost sounds like im driving in a jacked up truck. The noise is allways there unless i take a sharp left hand turn then it quits but as soon as the wheels stragintn up the it gets loud again. I have put new suspension all the way around and i have put new tires too. I also got a alligment done and it is still makeing the noise and i cant stand it any longer. Any suggestions.
Old 12-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
dynamat the whole car
Old 12-02-2005

^^^^hey thats a good idea. dynomat is kinda of expensive though. It might help but it wont fix the problem, Im thinking it might be a wheel bering.
Old 12-02-2005
Registered!!

Newbulletform is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, it could be a wheel bearing. My buddy that had an EK had rear wheel bearing problems.
Old 12-02-2005

help anybody????
Old 12-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you need to be more specific. telling us there is lots of road noise doesnt tell us anything. Where is it coming from?
Old 12-02-2005
Premium Member

redem2 has a spectacular aura aboutredem2 has a spectacular aura about
what kind of tires do you have? and how are the road conditions where you are? i had some cheapo pepboys tires on for a few months and they were a biatch, then i switched to falken ziex 512s and OMG!
Old 12-02-2005
Registered!!

EX4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Dynamating the car helps a little but not enough. I know. I have Dynamat Extreme (the aluminum looking ones) on the whole floor, doors, and trunk and it doen't help that much. Most of the road noise gets transmitted up the hollow pillars and gets amplified into the roof area. I'm begining to think the most effective way of reducing road noise is to get a few cans of those spray polyurethane liquid insulation from the hardware store and fill the hollows of all the pillars (especially the A-pillar). Insulate the roof interior panel with more foam or carpet liner. There is a lot of noise transmitted through the thin window glass also. There is nothing you can do about this short of replacing all the glass.
Old 12-03-2005

Originally Posted by streetglower
you need to be more specific. telling us there is lots of road noise doesnt tell us anything. Where is it coming from?
Its so loud it is allmost impossible to tell where it is comeing from. It sounds like it is comeing from the back alot and a little from the front. It sounds excatly like your driveing in a jacked-up truck you know how the wheels make that loud noise while your driving thats what it sounds like. I have 215-35-18 Kumo Escta supras that are about a month old. This sound was happing with the other tires also before i put the Kumos on but they were cheap tires also.
I really am starting to lean towards a wheel bearing, but can you replace the wheel bearing in the back or do i have to replace the entier Knuckle??
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
most road noise comes from the tires. I switched to bridgestone turanza and noise went way down. also alot comes from doors and the floor panels. I ripped out my old carpet and it got loud again. If you don't care about adding weight, then dynamat is a good idea for the doors and floors at least.
Old 12-03-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
the most likely cause sounds like a wheel bearing, you say when you turn to the left. This unloads the left hand wheel bearing and, MAY be the cause of the noise. Could also be a tire that has severe cupping, but more likley a bearing. Its not normal for there to be a noise that goes away when transfering the weight of the car as you describe. Sound deadener will cover up the noise but thats like putting a band-aide on a brain tumor!
Old 12-04-2005

Thanks for all yalls help. I think i will start with checking the wheel bearing. How do i check them? My friend said to jack the car and if you can move the wheel then its the bearing, is this the same way to check the back? Is there even a bearing that i can replace in the back, because i dont think there is, i think i have to replace the entire knuckle by looking on this website. www.hondaautomotiveparts.com yall look and tell me what you think.
Old 12-04-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atl01
Thanks for all yalls help. I think i will start with checking the wheel bearing. How do i check them? My friend said to jack the car and if you can move the wheel then its the bearing, is this the same way to check the back? Is there even a bearing that i can replace in the back, because i dont think there is, i think i have to replace the entire knuckle by looking on this website. www.hondaautomotiveparts.com yall look and tell me what you think.
Jacking the car up and feeling play may mean that the bearing is bad. But then again it could be play that your feeling play in something else. If you dont know what to look for take it to a qualified Tech to check it out for you!
Old 12-08-2005

Hey guys just to update you on what the problem was. It was the passanger side rear wheel bearing had completatly come apart and was causing the loud roaring noise. The part # from honda is 42200-S5A-A21 and it is $54.00. It only took about 45 min for me to put it on it is very simple just take off the wheel, then take off the brake durm, then remove the gold dust cover off the nut and you will see the 32mm nut. You will probably have go buy this size socket because it is pretty big. I just rented it from a local parts store. Remove the nut and the hub assembly slides off and the new one slides on. Mine was a little hard to get off but just beat the hell out of it and it will come off. Hope this help with anyone eles who is having this problem.