Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Long-term storage question. a bit of a crisis

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idsman75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Long-term storage question. a bit of a crisis

I own a 2003 Honda Civic EX 4-door sedan. I have made no after-market modifications to this vehicle other than cosmetic (window tinting, spoiler, modest stereo, etc..)

Ok...ready for the serious question.

I am getting ready to park my car in a secured lot for the duration of a 12-18 month deployment to Iraq. Here's how it's going to work. They are going to tell us to get over to the lot. The unit automobile custodian is going to check off each car that goes into the lot. They are going to tell us to park it, cover it and get the heck out. That gives me no time to use fogging oil on the engine. I'm concerned about corrosion of the rings, pistons, valves, and upper cylinder walls because the temps fluctuate in upstate New York. They aren't going to give us time to do those things you need to do after you shut the vehicle off.

I just had the radiator flushed and filled and tested the fluid to make sure it will hold up to NY temps. I'd like to put the car up on blocks to keep the tires off the lot surface but I don't think we're going to be given time to do that either. I plan on using a double dose of fuel stabilizer with a full tank.

I was at an auto parts store today and picked up a large bottle of Marvel's Mystery Oil. It claims that it's a good oil AND fuel additive to prevent the things that I had just mentioned. I plan on having the oil changed the day before I turn in the vehicle since combustion creates corrosive byproducts in the oil. Would I be wise to add a little Marvel's Mystery Oil to the fuel in order to prevent corrosion of the internal engine parts?

I've been told to do a million things by other people but haven't been given any mechanical device. I don't trust my local Honda service tech because I don't know him. I just arrived at Fort Drum 7 weeks ago. Not enough time to build a relationship. Everyone is telling me to loan it to someone or get someone to store it indoors for me (impossible for a host of reasons I won't go into). People are telling me to sell it (I won't). Nobody is telling me what I should do to protect my car while storing it for 12-18 months outdoors.

The Honda tech told me to get the oil changed (dirty oil contains corrosives which are a by-product of internal combustion), test my antifreeze and put lots of fuel stabilizer in the tank before I drive the car over to the storage lot. Other than that, I just know to cover the car with a quality car cover (got one made with "Block-It" material by Kimberly Clark).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Other than that....."HOWDY" I'm new here.

Thanks!

Jeremy

idsman75@gmail.com

Last edited by idsman75; 11-01-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Since there is not a lot you can do, use the marvel mystery oil. It's good stuff. DO the oil change, etc as you said. Disconnect the battery. Duct tape the exhaust and intake. Best you can do. When you get back, new battery, pull plugs, squirt a little oil in all cylinders and crank the engine a bit. Put plugs back and see if she starts. Should, though. If possible, put some cheap tires on the car when you store it. I have had cars sit in front of the house for a year, and they started up fine if you take some basic precautions.
I've also bought a car that sat for 3 years. I brought gas, battery, oil and tools. Had it running in about 45 minutes, and it suffered no ill effects. I'd say you'll be ok. The trick is to get oil in everything BEFORE you start it again.