Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hood wont close

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
hood wont close

well...i just did an oil change and for some reason after openin the hood, and now closing it. it has a gap btwn the grill and hood. its locks, but has a gap!. anyone know how i can fix this? i tried turnin the two rubber thing all the way down but still it doesnt close.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

etdigitalis should not be trusted
this may sound silly, but did you put your oil filler cap back on? it sounds like you just have something sitting where it shouldn't be.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

yes i did put everthing back on...i check every part under the hood to see if anything is out of place. but no i see nothing.
Old 08-12-2005
i have a new home do u
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
how do you close your hood. i know i have to actually slam mine down for it to latch all the way down
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

around a 1 1/4 ft. drop?
Old 08-12-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
or you can just lay it down, and press on it hard enough so it closes.

but i usually let it slam a little. bring it to close level, throw it up so it flys 1 feet in the air and let it slam.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

well tried that too still doesnt close...even tried about 1 1/2 ft. drop. still wouldnt close. i dont want to left the hood any higher, cause i dont wanna mess up the latch. anyone have this probs that can help?
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

Peasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to beholdPeasey is a splendid one to behold
are u sure you didn't leave a socket on the lip of fender wall or on the lip of the front bumper?..and check and make sure your hood latch lever(inside the car, by the pedals) is in the proper position and not proped in the open position.
Old 08-12-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Is it locking all the way down? or just hanging on the safety lock like after you pull the lever inside the car it kind of pops open.

I going to assume it is locking down all the way. Is the hood above the fenders, are the seems lining up or is the hood above those? I think I remember a way to adjust hood postion on my dads Accord, but I'm not sure on the civic, I'll try to look tonight if I can. Anyway, where is the gap, a detailed pic would be helpful.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

well its lock in...but there is enough gap to touch the lever, and i tried to push it up to see if the hood will open but it doesnt, like i said above there is nuttin btwn the hood, also the hood latch inside the car is in position also.
Old 08-12-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I'm still having a problem understanding what's going on

There are two postion for the hood to in, one is all the way down and properly latched, the other is in the "safety" latch, this is after you pull the lever in the car, the main latch releases, then there is a second latch that is still connected, you have to move the lever to get it to release. In this postion the hood can move a little, but it won't come up.

Now is your hood simply not getting into the main latch? So the hood can be moved up an down a little bit, but it won't come up.

Or is your securely latched so that it can not move at all, just up to high?
Old 08-12-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
where did you jack the front of your car up from ? it sounds like you where a bit too far forward and got some of the radiator support. doing this will bend the support that hold the hood latch up. the only way to fix it is too get on top of the support that goes from side to side and bounce on it to get it to bend back down.
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

lurice0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: hood wont close

Originally Posted by djmota
where did you jack the front of your car up from ? it sounds like you where a bit too far forward and got some of the radiator support. doing this will bend the support that hold the hood latch up. the only way to fix it is too get on top of the support that goes from side to side and bounce on it to get it to bend back down.
hey i know its been 10 years but did he fix that hood? i have the same problem trying to align my new junkyard hood. i often jack up front and im thinking i got some of the radiator support. i have tried the rubber stoppers that adjust the height of the hood, the bracket bolts and the latch bolts.

how do i know my radiator support has been bent and how do i fix it? you say bounce on it? i should stand on it and bounce?
Old 06-28-2015
Registered!!

WWIICIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure your hood release cable has retracted. You might have to push it in a little bit.
Old 06-29-2015
Registered!!

califcamper is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant really help without seeing it but mine did same thing after accidently shutting hood support open latch not in its place. Bent latch. It took me a month to align it up right and after cursing honda a million times. I noticed support had broken there. Only thing i would make sure of is DO NOT rely only on safety latch to hold hood down. My hood flew up at 60, and broke my windshield, etc etc so make sure you tie down hood until you fix.
Old 06-30-2015
Registered!!

lurice0 is an unknown quantity at this point

people look at my radiator support and say its Not Bent. what i ended up doing was swapping latches and used the latch from the junk car, it seemed to help it lay flatter, but i then i noticed my stryker hook thing that hits the latch was kinda bent in one direction. i hit it with rubber mallet and now it lays flat, but wont latch, it just hooks.

i pushed the cable in, too, so its not that.

i greased the latch some.

i dropped hood from a foot or so high. it wont close. thinking of pitching the latch and getting hood pins? idk.