Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

vibration when driving in rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonderz is on a distinguished road
I am just wondering does this problem happen in both 2001 and 2002 models?
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point

<< OK GUYS. I HAVE THE SAME THING. HERE IS MY THEORY:

IF YOU LOOK INTO OUR WHEEL WELLS, YOU CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE. MY GUESS IS THAT WATER SPLASHES THOUGH THAT AREA ONTO ROTATING PARTS IN OUR DRIVE SYSTEM WHICH CAUSES EXTREME VIBRATION DURING ROTATION. LIKE WHEN U RUB TWO GLASS OBJECTS THAT ARE DRY, IT'S FINE BUT ONCE U ADD WATER YOU GET A SORT OF STRANGE FRICTION MAKING IT VIBRATE. THOSE ROTATING PARTS CAN BE ANYTHING FROM OUR DRIVE SHAFTS TO OUR TIMING SYSTEM. I WILL TRY SPRAYING WATER ON THE ROTATING COMPONETS TO SEE: STAY TUNED.
>>

good thought....i just had the vibration happen to me again yesterday...as ive said b4 the evo makes it sound 10x worse.
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
got another theory from solar...........

"I had the problem with my old Ford Van, the accessory belts would get wet and slip which made the belts flap like rubber bands which caused a horrible vibration. I had the belts re adjusted using a belt tentioner gauge, and the problem went away. I myself don't have the problem with my 2k2 EX and I drive it a lot in the rain. Hope this might shed a little light on the problem. "
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

SpacemanBob is an unknown quantity at this point
I, for one, DON'T have this problem. Anyone else like me out there?
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

FastandFurious is an unknown quantity at this point
OK guys, i think i've solved the problem. I checked underneath the car and found a piece
of the body of the car where the exhaust midpipe is rubbing. You could see where it was
because the body had a worn, shiny look. I think for some reason, some of these pipes are
not hung in the perfect location or are not the perfect shape to fit the body of the car. I think
the water is cooling the exhaust system, causing it to contract and tightin up a little. When
this happens, the midpipe makes contact to the underside of the car and amplifies a loud vibrating
noise. So my solution was to heat up the midpipe and bend it to fit the shape of the underside
of car so no contact is made. I drove in a major rain storm yesterday and no vibration. Coincidence?
Maybe but so far so good with the adjustment made. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

2k1SINCE00 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the problem yet again. I was driving through puddles on that were only on the passenger side. It seems I only get the noise when I hit puddles through the passenger side? I believe it is definately the CAT, or exhaust, no doubt!!! But what can be done? The AC was off. Yet, does either of the fans still spin? I still like the water hitting the fan theory, but exhaust seems much more like the real problem. My shifter was shaking like a SOB! Any new ideas/progress etc?
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
any new ideas about this problem?
Old 05-31-2002
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 ex coupe auto and I get this problem it sounds like the gears are grinding... freaky noise.. I am scared.
Old 06-04-2002
Registered!!

happynappy82 is an unknown quantity at this point
so im on my way to drop my car off and it starts pouring rain as im on my way there!!! i've never been so happy for rain. so i get there and kid-nap one of the technicians to take him for a ride. he heard the noise and didn't think it was the tranny...... my car is at 35,886, so the warranty is almost up. i dont know if i complain about the noise while my Civic is still under warranty if it will still be covered when my warranty is up ( 36,000 miles). THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT GETTING IT FIXED, im going to get a lawyer if i get dicked around, Honda's customer service sucks

jason
Old 06-09-2002
Registered!!

pounds is an unknown quantity at this point
OH ****.....i have this exact problem....its crazy cause you all are explaining what is happening with me perfectly, i though it was my TRD exhaust.

anyone have any new ideas on this?? Since it seems that its not the exhaust im gonna call my dealer on monday and and em id they know anything about it....i truley do have a good dealer and believe they will help shed some light on this situation.....

if not then i think everyone as a group need to contact honda somehow and express our feelings...this is a huge problem and i believe we need to have it fixed!!!!!!

we should also maybe make a list of everyone on here who has this problem
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

Pyro is an unknown quantity at this point
Well i took my car in a while ago i just forgot to come back in here and post what it was, there was a TSB out for it i cn't remember the number, it has to do with part of the exhaust system, apparently a loose mount or something i dunno, they fixed over a month ago for me and i haven't had that problem since
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

i thought i posted but i guess i didn't, most of posted in my own "vibration raining" thread...... anywayz i brought it back to place where i got my custom piping done, what they did for me is bend the pipe more over the back axle where the pipe goes over, so now there is much more clearance, i hope this helps the problem, if not i'm so screwed, i'll let you guys know when i go through rain
Old 06-13-2002
Registered!!

Speedracer32 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Vicci4Life
Ok, I've had this problem twice. once a major street while going through a puddle and once while on a small off street in going through a puddle of the right side. My car was totally stock when this happened, no removed resonator or anything. Anyhow, It doesn't happen often and only last for a couple of seconds, well 30 seconds maybe, and its as if, after going in the puddle, the water has somehow gotten inside an engine component because it sounds somewhat unhealthy when not pressing the pedal, but once you start accelerating its one of the worst sounds you'll ever hear coming from the car. Its a very lound grinding, like the water is being slushed around in an engine component. the harder you accelerate the louder it gets, and then, it goes away. and you don't hear it again. It's really strange, first time I heard it, I was scared to death, just waiting for my engine to explode. Well, thats about all I have to say about that[hr]
this happened to me today for the first time
scared the "shiz nits" out of me on the way to work.
i need to get a bypass vavle. i could have sworn i had got some water in my intake and my engine was goin to lock up. i know my parents were goin to kick my a$$
what ever it was i don't want to experience it again
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

dunno, don't think its the intake, maybe......... but even after trying to correct it, as stated above, still big problems!
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

orso is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem the ratty noise coming from the front right of the car when it rains. i took it to honda and they told me that there was nothing wrong. somebody has to figure it out.
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Pyro
Well i took my car in a while ago i just forgot to come back in here and post what it was, there was a TSB out for it i cn't remember the number, it has to do with part of the exhaust system, apparently a loose mount or something i dunno, they fixed over a month ago for me and i haven't had that problem since[hr]
Can you get ur hands on that TSB so we can take it in to prove something is wrong with it?

Do you still have your service record from when they performed the TSB?
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

i will look for it i'm sure i have it either in the file cabinet, in the car or at work, i'm pretty busy this week, i am getting married in....7 and 1/2 hours!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] and then leving tomarrow afternoon adn wont be back untill next sunday, but i will look around and see what i can find...
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

Imagine2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i've got the same problem when its raining also how do u reset that stupid light on the dash that says maint. required. i just got my a 30000 tune on it and now i can't reset it?
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

wizawaza is an unknown quantity at this point
i found out that it is from the rapid cool down of your exaust pipes it is nothing to worry about, so end this discussion
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

obviously not if a TSB was released to fix the problem.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

huyqvu is an unknown quantity at this point
i found the tsb on the nhtsa website. i recommend anyone that has this problem to print it out and bring it into the dealer. heres a link to what i found.

nhtsa
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

that would be it...but whats got me wondering, ive got an aftermarket exhaust, think there gonna try and pull bs with me?
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

[hr]that would be it...but whats got me wondering, ive got an aftermarket exhaust, think there gonna try and pull bs with me?[hr]
i'm worried about that too. it happened again today [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-28-2002
rvp
Registered!!

rvp is an unknown quantity at this point
We had a deluge downpour yesterday and I was driving around town with a growling civic - I'm now used to this annoyance but would still like to get it fixed eventulaly. Anyways, here are questions for anyone out there:

Q1. The NHTSA TSB linked in a previous post is # SB631006, and from the truncated description I can read for free, it looks really similar to TSB # SB629948. Is there any difference between the two?

Q2. What is the fix for either of these TSBs?

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

alright....i called the dealer and told them about the problem and about the TSB...i made an appointment and they said to bring in the bulletin...

my appointment is monday at 1:00....i too have an aftermarket exhaust, but seeing as how there is a TSB about it it must not be that...so we'll see

ill update tomorrow
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

so what happened with your appointment Pounds?
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

nice bullentain, i'm going to bring it to the dealer
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

alright all...i took my car to the dealer

and well its not too good for me, but maybe for everyone else..i took the tech. service bulletin there and they had no idea what i was talking about...so they called honda and did a little searching and figured out that there was some problems with it...they guy told me that the B pipe had to be replaced on the exhaust system (its the really long one from the cat to the exhaust pipe)

however i do have an aftermarket system so i didnt have this pipe...and they wouldnt help me out at all! i guess its my fault...and of course this pipe without warranty is $165...so if i want it fixed then im gonna have to pay...ahhhhhh

but yeah if your having this problem, print the TSB and take it to them...have them call honda and find out about it...they know, dont let em d!ck you around!!!! they should replace it for you!!

anymore questions? reply or pm me and ill help
Old 08-16-2002
Registered!!

i know it's been a while since the last post, but has anyone solved this problem yet? i had to deal with it yet again yesterday and it sucked [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2002
Registered!!

mine has been solved for quite some time now...i took it in they said somethign with the exhaust said there was a TSB and never happened again...

Quick Reply: vibration when driving in rain