Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Any chance Honda will hook me up? If not, help me please on DIY.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lapchern is an unknown quantity at this point
Any chance Honda will hook me up? If not, help me please on DIY.

So my passenger side power door lock just broke down on me yesterday. I am at 42k miles... only 6 k past the limited warranty. This seems to be a common problem among a good number of civic drivers...

anyone think there's a chance that a Honda dealership would offer me coverage still out of good will?

i think it's ridiculous how a friggin power door lock can break down on you at only 40k miles...

the DIY power lock repair seems kinda difficult... how difficult would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks

Last edited by lapchern; 01-19-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: I need help.
Old 01-19-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Unless there is a recall, I dont think so
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

that's great .

anyhow, how do I test if a fuse is blown out? i think i'm going to see if it's my fuse...

when i switch my lock to go down, it twitches a little in the downward direction... is this a good sign? could it imply that maybe it's not the actuator?

before i went to work this morning, it actually went up and down ONCE on its own, then it just crapped out again.

Last edited by lapchern; 01-19-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
maybe if there kool
Old 01-19-2005
Godlike member

ex_03 is on a distinguished road
If the driver side works its not the fuse, I beleive there on the same circuit.
Have you made any mods to the door...IE...speaker install,dynomat..Anything that required taking the door panel off? Whether you did or dint the only true way to know for sure is to check the motor. The easiest way to accomplish this is remove the door panel, run a fused(3 amp) wire from the pos of your battery to the lock motor, strip back some of the protective coating on the positive side of the lock motor, and then touch it with the live wire, if it works the problem is somewhere else. Let me know
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Mine does this once in a while. It stops working and then it comes back on.... almost seems as if there is a bad connection somewhere.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Tipsy_AA has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Its most likely the fuse, dont count on the dealership to repair on good will. Most dealers are asses about warranty work.
Old 01-19-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
it cant be the fuse cuz he said it's going on and off, one time it works one time it doesn't, if it was the fuse it would just crap out, and stay out.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Tipsy_AA has a little shameless behaviour in the past
hmm my old car had the same problem but i cant remember what it was...yea nevermind, its not the fuse. my dad fixed it somehow. when i talk to him later on tonight, ill ask him what the problem was and how he fixed it.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ex_03
If the driver side works its not the fuse, I beleive there on the same circuit.
Have you made any mods to the door...IE...speaker install,dynomat..Anything that required taking the door panel off? Whether you did or dint the only true way to know for sure is to check the motor. The easiest way to accomplish this is remove the door panel, run a fused(3 amp) wire from the pos of your battery to the lock motor, strip back some of the protective coating on the positive side of the lock motor, and then touch it with the live wire, if it works the problem is somewhere else. Let me know
it is on the driver's side that i am having the problem. yeah i doubt it's a fuse tho since it twitches when trying to go down. givews me the impression that the actuator is weak and busted.
Old 01-19-2005
Premium Member

icedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really nice
hmmm...my driver's side is doing the same thing. its been that way for about 4 months now; just havent had the time to mess with it. mine also makes an insane noise as if something is grinding...i don't know how to describe it really
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lapchern
So my passenger side power door lock just broke down on me yesterday. I am at 42k miles... only 6 k past the limited warranty. This seems to be a common problem among a good number of civic drivers...

anyone think there's a chance that a Honda dealership would offer me coverage still out of good will?

i think it's ridiculous how a friggin power door lock can break down on you at only 40k miles...

the DIY power lock repair seems kinda difficult... how difficult would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks
The DIY I made on the power door locks is a piece of cake. Test your actuator to see if that is the problem.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
The DIY I made on the power door locks is a piece of cake. Test your actuator to see if that is the problem.
where's the DIY removal of the door panel? the one posted in your diy has been removed.... .

thanks
Old 01-21-2005
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
grab the upper part of the lil triangular piece that coveres the mounts for the side mirror.. yank it off (comes off easy)..
behind the door handle (inside) theres a lil square.. pop that out with one of those lil screwdrivers or a butter knife... then remove the two screws behind it.. pull the whole handle assembly out a bit and look on the back.. theres a lil plastic clip attaching it to a metal bar.. slip the plastic clip off the bar then pull the bar up to remove it from the handle..
if you have a sedan on the bottom of the armrest you will see a tiny lil notch where it meets the door.. you can wiggle a screwdriver around in there and try to pop off the pannel.. or since that is a pain in the *** gently (dont scratch stuff up) cram a screwdriver(wrap the end in a layer of two of electrical tape so it dosent scratch but it needs to remain thin) in the top front of the armrest (circle in the pic).. then just grab and pull in and down.. you might have to wiggle it a bit but it will pop off..

if you have a coupe i believe there is a screw or two on the bottom somewhere... just take those out and pop the cover piece off

now yer door should look more or less like this.. cept yer handle will be missing

the outside two Xs have screws.. remove those.. dont worry about the middle two Xs removing those wont help you.... .. i believe its the same setup on a coupe but i coudl be wrong.. either way theres a good chance its basicly the same..

now open yer door all the way.. on the bottom front there should be a lil gap between the pieces.. if you can that makes a good gripping point.. if you cant locate it dont go nuts lookin for it.. just use a lil muscle and pry the plastic off the door.. once you hear a "pop" you should be able to get yer fingers under it.. go along the sides and bottom till it flops around.. then pull the bottom away from the door about 1-2 inches.. hold it with yer left hand.. with yer right give it a good rap in the upward direction.. you should now be able to lift it straight up.. its wedged prettygood between the window and inner part of the door.. so smacking it once helps.. ... .. anyway.. lift it up out of the track but dont try to pull it away cuz the wires for the windows are still connected.. reach behind the plastic pannel and unclip the wire harness.. yer door pannel is now free..

fix the window..

when you go to put it back together make sure you get the rod that connects to the door handle in place or you will have to remove the whole thing again to get it out.. which is just a pain in the ***... trust me i know..
Old 01-21-2005
Godlike member

well done brotha, I was trying to get it together and post it but you beat me..
Old 01-21-2005
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
my rep button looks like this

feel free to click it as often as it will let you
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

thanks
Old 01-22-2005
Godlike member

Originally Posted by againifall
my rep button looks like this

feel free to click it as often as it will let you
where do I go to do that?
Old 01-22-2005
Go Team Venture!

to the right where it has the # (this is post #19)... right next to that.. click the scale.. sign yer name so i know who its from and when i have a whole bunch of green dots ill hit you back... if i remember... aww hell ill just do it now..
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

Re: Any chance Honda will hook me up? If not, help me please on DIY.

Originally Posted by lapchern
thanks
almost 3 years later... and now my passenger side door lock is busted... love this thread again.
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

Re: Any chance Honda will hook me up? If not, help me please on DIY.

just replaced my door lock assembly/actuator... pain in the butt took me like 3-4 hours even tho it was my 2nd time (i totally forgot all the little things years later). i got stuck at removing the last rod that required a flathead screw driver and i still have no idea how i managed to remove it.