Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

no cat+cel on+driving=?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03CivicEX03 should not be trusted03CivicEX03 should not be trusted
no cat+cel on+driving=?

i been driving for months with no stock cat on.. i have test pipe and my i have cel on. I just wonder it is harmful to engine driving with cel on and what about long term?
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no harm IF it is soley the catalyst efficiency CEL (activated when the second O2 doesn't think your cat is working properly, which your's is not).

This is all the second O2 does, and will not affect the performance of the vehicle at all. To trick the second O2, you can either buy an O2 simulator to plug into the O2 harness, or you can buy two more O2 bungs and stack them into your stock one, this will remove the second O2 sensor directly from the exhaust flow, but allow enough in for the O2 to register correct air/fuel ratio for post cat exhaust. The second method does not always work, but it is the $2.50 method versus the $25 O2 simulator.
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

^^ i brought the caspers o2 sensor that that thing didn't work at all.. i keep on resetting the ecu and it keep on pop back cel. I don't know if o2 sim busted or my second o2 is busted. Let says if my primary is busted or air intake one busted do it send my car into limp mode?

With the cel light right now it run a little sluggish but not noticable. you can tell when you take off in first gear when i have to press little more gas.
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

As long as the O2 sim was installed correctly before the car was ever run without a cat, and the sim is putting out the correct voltage, you shouldn't have gotten the CEL.

Now assuming the sim was not working properly, was the vehicle run with the test pipe before the sim was installed? It may have thrown a code that needs to be cleared with a good scan tool if thats the case, normal resetting of the ECU may not work.

If your front O2 was not working properly you would most certainly throw a CEL, and the ECU will usually go into safe or limp mode to avoid harm to the engine caused by excessively lean conditions. Now if the sensor is not physically damaged, something else air, fuel, or even spark related is causing the car to run too rich and clogging the O2 sensor.

Your Air Intake Temp sensor (which I assume you are reffering to) being broken would also key in safe mode.
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

i been driving my car without a cat for months or close to year with cel on and now i just installed the o2 sim like last couple weeks. The o2 sim look like it working(ask around before) the o2 sim i brought it have little led light, it keep on blinking i assumming that is working o2 sim.

can i tell if my car into limp mode? I heard when you car in limp mode you can't rev over 3000 rpm. But mine can it just drive normal but little sluggish.

If my car little sluggish right now it is because of cel on for cat?

How much to bring my car to shop that help me clear my code?
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

A CEL for cat efficiency wont affect power or drivability at all. As far as pricing to clear the code, that all depends on the shop. Usually, most places will charge their diagnostics fee for this service. $40-$100 or so, I know its a broad range, but there are a broad range of shops too.