Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Emmissions light wont go off new 02 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Emmissions light wont go off new 02 sensor

Well here's the problem.

When i used to have an aftermarket downpipe I had cut the wires on the 2nd o2 sensor so I could take it out. I spliced the wires wrong because i couldn't tell which was which there are 4 wires...black,grey,white, and white (or 3 i forget)

Anyway the car ran like **** so i finally bought a new o2 sensor, sold the downpipe and put the oem downpipe/cat back in.
Installed the new o2 and the emmissions light stays on.

I just went to get it inspected and the guy says he cannot pass me because of the light....It says no activity but says there is a malfunction with the 2nd o2 sensor. I went to a mechanic but i dont have some extra money to get him to fix it yet...and he said in some cases its not even the o2 sensor thats causing the problem.

Anyone have Any idea what could be causing the problem?
Anything from chaning oil to putting some of that **** thats supposed to pass me in emmissions....That stuff work??

The guy that was gonna inspect my car said it could be my ECU, but the mechanic corrected him saying that if it was the ECU my car wouldn't run properly at all.

whats wrong with my car!!!!
Old 10-18-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Also when i was splicing the wires to the 2nd o2 sensor when installing the aftermarket downpipe i Cut all the wires at the same time...the mechanic said that was bad..

^just to give some extra info and try and shed some light to what the problem is
Old 10-21-2004
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
Saw, no one has answered you, so i will.

Since all our vehicles are OBDII, emissions control is a very high priority in the mapping of our ECUs. Once an emissions fault is detected (sounds like yours is a "catalyst efficiency" fault), your ECU will log the problem and usually send up a Malfunction Indicator Light.

Most likely, your ECU has simply logged the catalyst efficiency code, and will not clear until you take a good scantool/reader to it, or have Honda clear your DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

As far as cutting the wires, I agree with your mechanic, because I am one too. Cut wires on a car I'm working on usually means someone half-assed something and usually fudged it up. In the case of an O2 sensor, it is a hard line to the ECU, and the two white wires you cut were power in (one for the sensor, one for the sensor heater) and the other two were grounds, there is always the slight possibility of you crossing wires and sending power places it doesn't need to go... like shorts to ground with can roast an ECU.
Old 10-22-2004
Registered!!

RallyeRed2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
im in school now and i learned that if there is a heater the 2 same colored wires are the heater(the 2 blacks), the white is power, and the gray is a saftey ground, sense the o2 gets grounded out on its treads. But i could b wrong.
Old 10-23-2004
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RallyeRed2k2
im in school now and i learned that if there is a heater the 2 same colored wires are the heater(the 2 blacks), the white is power, and the gray is a saftey ground, sense the o2 gets grounded out on its treads. But i could b wrong.
changes from manufacturer to manufacturer, you could be absolutely correct for these cars.