Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine stalling - 2001 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stoph is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine stalling - 2001 Civic LX

I was doing 80mph when my engine cut out on me. When i tried to start it back up it started up but was idling off. It wouldn't hold at 750 it got down to almost stalling out again, when i went to rev the engine in neutral it topped out at 3500rpm. I let the car sit about 20 minutes and it started up normally and ran normally for about an hour, then it cut out again. Same as before it started up but wasn't sounding right, and wouldn't rev past 3500 still. It did this about 4 times within a 6 hour period. I had a diagnose ran on the car to find out what was wrong with it and the first guy said it just needed a tune up, then I took the car to Honda to have them determine the problem and they started talking about the cam shaft. They replaced my Cat, and a computer component, and the problem was still there. They spent a couple days and said they couldn't figure out what is wrong with it.

I got the car from them and just recently took it to another shop, while on the way there the car died again, this time after about 20 minutes of driving. I was able to start the car up and it did that limited to 3500rpm bit. My uncle was ahead of me and we drove it the rest of the 3 miles to the shop. During that time the car was able to get up to 40-45 mph but it had no power, it would take almost 2 minutes to reach that speed. I haven't heard from the shop yet, but i'm trying to find out the problem so i can determine if it is a warrenty issue that i can take up with the used car dealer i bought it from. Anyone have any clues?
Old 08-31-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Whatever the problem, it's causing the car to go into safe mode and not rev above 4k rpms. It's almost sounding like a computer problem, since idle speed is not being maintained. Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu? Warm up the car, disconnect and reconnect the battery, start the car, and let it idle with all accessories off for 5 mins. Ifthat doesn't fix the idle problem, it's either the ecu or some other sensor. Is the check engine light on? If it is, you should have someone read which code it's throwing.
Old 08-31-2004
Powered by Honda

y.0. KiLLa is an unknown quantity at this point
im a total newb with cars..blah..well my dad has an 87 maxima as his work car..one day the car just cut off and then it would start up aND IDLE REALLY LOW and shut off..sometimes the car would drive fine and other times it would shut off...it took the local mechanic two weeks to diagnose it..o0 yea he needed a new distributor..0oo yea this also happened to my firneds 2001 civic ex.he also needed a new distributor
Old 09-01-2004
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
^^^ well our cars dont have a distributor i believe, it has direct coil ignition or something like that.

as for your problem, i think someone on the forums had this problem before also. i think they finally found out the problem to be related to the throttle body assembly. he replaced the whole thing and the problem was fixed. theres lots of stuff hooked up to our throttle bodies, like sensors, and all that good stuff...
Old 09-01-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
First, try loosening your gascap when this happens. See if it makes a sucking sound from a vacuum. If the car runs fine again, you have a clogged vapor line. This builds a vacuum, and gradually starves the car of fuel pressure.

If not, start looking at the TPS on the intake.
Old 09-01-2004
Registered!!

Concerning the Vapor line, When I took off the gas cap it did make a sucking noise, but that didn't fix the problem right away. It did alow me to drive it upto about 40mph though.
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

The shop is saying the check engine light is being tripped by the top-dead center sensor. While he wasn't able to get it to cut out on him, when he removed the sensor it acted up in the same way. Is this possible?
Old 09-02-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
If that's what the code says, then yes. TDC sensor tells the ecu when certain pistons are at the top position. Basically it makes sure the engine knows what its doing. Having a bad tdc sensor is almost as bad as driving with a broken timing belt. Get this fixed asap.