Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

DIY: Hood rattle repair.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004
VTEC MASTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
DIY: Hood rattle repair.

Ever since i got my car the hood would rattle. If I turned the rubber stoppers then it would stop but the hood stuck up too far. Heres what i did. The end result is no more rattle and the hood is flush with the fenders.

I took a length of black electrical tape and wound it around the catch latch located on the underside of the hood about 5 times. The result was a solid latching of the hood.

Last edited by redvtec04; 04-24-2004 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2004
VTEC MASTER

Cant find a pic though.
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
For future referance, the tape may eventually wear though and require replacement, other than that, good call.

If the tape does wear through, I'd get a roll of the clear-duct-tape and try it out, seems to be tougher than any other tape I've used under my hood...
Old 04-24-2004
VTEC MASTER

maybe some thin aquarium tubing slit up the side then placed on the bar?
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
That would be good 'n tough.

You could also go down to your local ACE hardware and look for some of that reinforced plastic tubing; has nylon string in it for better wear characteristics...

Also if you dribble some superglue in the slit and let it get good and glued it should never come off... I do the same thing to protect the A-arms on one of my RC cars (it does 0-62 in about 3.5 seconds) that sees a lot of offroad high speeds...

Niven = hobbiest
Old 04-29-2004
http://ackakaka.ytmnd.com

JoeyOKC is on a distinguished road
good work. just the thread I was looking for.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Hood rattle repair.

GOD this has been driving me freakin crazy. just did the electrical tape fix and it worked like a charm. have any sugestions for an exhaust rattle that seems to be coming from nowhere? i've tried exhaust wrap everywhere i thought it could be rattling but havent fixed it yet. it only comes around 1700 to 2xxx rpms
Old 01-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

that sound like your cat heat shield, remove it, clean off the rust and give it a coat of high temp paint, re-install.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
that sound like your cat heat shield, remove it, clean off the rust and give it a coat of high temp paint, re-install.
i just saw a post from gearbox that shows this http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...4s5p01_b02.png which part number are you talking about? cuz i got full aftermarket exhaust and the stock cat is gone. like i told gearbox it sounds like part numbers 26 and 27 that are rattling.
Old 01-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yes, those parts that typically vibrate and make the noise, but if you've removed the cat then those parts are gone.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

damn. i bought the car with it so i didnt know that. that sounds like where its coming from though. do you think the cat could be going bad or something. it sound like a metallic fart. i can get it to fart on command by putting the car in 3rd at 25mph and giving it a little gas.
Old 01-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

for me it was a high pitched buzz that occured in a very specific rpm range.