Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clicking noise when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
Clicking noise when accelerating

I know this has been asked before but it wasnt answered that well.

I went away to college and my car was workign fine. I come back 2 and a half months later and I hear a clicking noise when i accelerate. I know its coming from the engine and i have tried reving it in neutral to listen for it and it seems to be that it only happens when its in gear. I can hear it in first and second and reverse. it might happen in third and fourth but the road noise is too loud. i have an auto btw. It goes away when the car is warmed up fully.
ive only heard the same clicking noise but not as bad, from ghetto old beaters. my car is only 3 years old!
help!
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
How fast are the clicks - do they increase in frequency as you accelerate faster? Do you also hear them when you're at constant speed, or only on acceleration?
Old 03-25-2004
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
I have noticed that problem with my car also, I was told that it could maybe be a heatshield or something that came loose because honda used poor materials to hold it down, (maybe adhesive or something).
Old 03-25-2004
Premium Member

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
the clicks go faster as i accelerate.
Old 03-26-2004
Registered!!

akimoto is an unknown quantity at this point
yeh i have the same problem when i go over 55-60 miles per hour.
Old 03-29-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i hear it too but i thought it was normal since it was very quiet

is it the valves?
Old 03-29-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Valves make ticking sounds, but they shouldn't be that loud. And I can only hear mine at idle.
Old 04-07-2004
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
Bump on this issue.

I seem to be hearing what sounds like clicking from the engine bay. I know it's not the motor though..and most likely NOT the CV joints since a sign of those are usually clicking during turning and the clicking i'm getting is at pretty much all times and this came outta nowhere.

What I'm thinking is that whomever suggested that it might be a heatshield might be right. My car recently got turbocharged and perhaps a heat shield was touched or moved and is rubbing against somethin. I think we're gonna check it out sometime this week or weekend.

If I find out what it is....i'll be sure to post here and maybe PM some of you that are having the same issue. I did a search on this and it seems pretty evident that no one has figured out what it is. It doesn't seem to be related to those 1 or 2 people that had their tires fly off either....since no one indicated any warning noise beforehand and those that are experiencing the clicking noise seem to be merely living w/it, so perhaps its not that harmful.

I dunno bout you guys though, but when i hear somethin, and I know its not "right" or "normal" it bothers the hell outta me till i can find out what the heck it is. If it's no biggie...i'll live w/it. But there's always that chance that somethin's wrong and if there is....i'd rather catch it on time than suffer the consequences later.

So for any of you still searching for an answer to this question.....i'm gonna give it a looksie this weekend. Wish me luck...let's hope it's somethin minor.
Old 04-11-2004
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
dam u guys to!!

I dont know what the **** the noise is. I think it may have to do with the Intake mainifold gasket or something, i checked my header area, not coming from there, If someone finds out please let me know
Old 04-11-2004
Registered!!

akimoto is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend who owns a 2001 civic, he had the same problem. his car has 34k miles on it, we took it to honda dealership they cant find whats wrong with it. So we took like almost everything apart i mean the whole nine yard, we found the suspension bushing were trashed, some were missing (honda used cheap parts on our car). after we replaced them with URETHANE BUSHINGS the clicking sound were gone. i hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, till your your poly bushings start to squeak because they need greased. I'm about to go back to rubber bushings so I don't have to listen to these things start to squeak every 3 months.
Old 04-12-2004
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally posted by akimoto
My friend who owns a 2001 civic, he had the same problem. his car has 34k miles on it, we took it to honda dealership they cant find whats wrong with it. So we took like almost everything apart i mean the whole nine yard, we found the suspension bushing were trashed, some were missing (honda used cheap parts on our car). after we replaced them with URETHANE BUSHINGS the clicking sound were gone. i hope this helps.

I think thats different, this is coming from the engine not the suspension, i notice it when i accelerate in 1st, and 2nd anything more is just to looud
Old 04-13-2004
Registered!!

MoneyBags is an unknown quantity at this point
may be oil the valves rubbing
Old 09-23-2007
JJJ
Registered!!

JJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clicking noise when accelerating

sry for bringing back an old thread, but has anyone ever found out about the clicking sounds when accelerating...usually hear it between 1st and 2nd and when i shift into reverse...moreso when the car is not warmed up yet?
Old 09-26-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

xmsn input shaft bearing?
Old 09-26-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

my guess is CV's