Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does anyone find that Honda's recommended intervals are way too long?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone find that Honda's recommended intervals are way too long?

I don't know, maybe its me, but I've been finding lots of stuff that needs to be done way before Honda says it should. I've been doing my own 30K service in pieces, checking things that I find it hard to believe will last as long as Honda claims it should. Pulled the spark plugs... they were pretty toasted after 27K, Honda claims they're good for 105K, NO WAY. Drained the transmission sludge, a supposed 60K interval change, once again... just disgusting in about 1/2 the interval. Honda MTF is about the color of honey when its new (its lighter than motor oil), the stuff I drained out was kind of a milky (actually a couple chunks too), very dark brown, with lots of tiny bits of metal (that always come out with any tranny fluid change)... honestly, it looked worse than the oil I usually drain out in the 4000 mile intervals I do that at (once again, far short of the 7500-10000 mile interval Honda claims).
I don't know who came up with these intervals when the manual was written, or what utopian location was chosen where nothing ever got dirty or wore out, but just consider this as a heads up... I wouldn't follow the book too closely, I'd check everything on a short change schedule. The only thing I actually have made it to the interval on is brakes... which Honda says about every 30K for front pads. Even with autocrossing the **** out of them, I made it to that interval. I don't get how, but I won't complain.
Old 11-28-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
I've noticed so many members talking about changing their plugs and tranny fluid super early...like at 15k or 20k. I'm only at 14k but soon I'll cross my fingers and check.
Old 11-28-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Change your atf at 15K!!! I did at 18K and it was nasty black.

Plugs were gone at 17K...

Air filter dirty after 2K....

It says oil change every 10K? How long are these cars gonna last with this kind of waiting?
Old 12-05-2003
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
How long should one wait for a manual transmission fluid change. The interval that was suggested from Honda seems a big long.
Old 12-05-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I did 30K, but I still think that was too long. I'm going to go 15 next time and see what it looks like when it comes out. Its only $3.99 a quart for the Honda MTF, so its not a major expense.
Old 12-08-2003

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
We have a 1998 Civic LX sedan with just over 60k - leased new and then purchased in 2k1 when the lease expired. Changed coolant, two new tires, and aligned at roughly 24k. Replaces spark plugs, wires, two more tires, second alignment, and transmission service at just over 36k. Front brake pads were replaced last summer at 55k. Rotors turned 3 months ago after I noticed pedal pulsation this summer.

We just purchased a 2k1 coupe this summer, and now I have an Access database to track maintenance for both vehicles. I agree it does seem that the intervals are too long, except maybe for oil changes. I'd appreciate feedback on how you all handle maintenance.
Old 12-08-2003
TMQ
Registered!!

TMQ is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the manual recommends Auto transmission fluid change at 60K under severe driving conditions. I wonder how many people's transmissions got screwed by not doing appropriate work.

I recently called about 30K service, which includes oil change, inspection of stuff, replacement of air filter and pollen filter. Dealers said $250. I wonder if I should just do oil and transmission fluid change, and change air/pollen filters on my own. For air filter, do you guys recommend K&N, or just Fram from Schucks?

TMQ, who likes to do the maintenance work on his own but lacks time, tools and a garage
Old 12-08-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Coop
We have a 1998 Civic LX sedan with just over 60k - leased new and then purchased in 2k1 when the lease expired. Changed coolant, two new tires, and aligned at roughly 24k. Replaces spark plugs, wires, two more tires, second alignment, and transmission service at just over 36k. Front brake pads were replaced last summer at 55k. Rotors turned 3 months ago after I noticed pedal pulsation this summer.

We just purchased a 2k1 coupe this summer, and now I have an Access database to track maintenance for both vehicles. I agree it does seem that the intervals are too long, except maybe for oil changes. I'd appreciate feedback on how you all handle maintenance.
oil changes every 10,000 miles is not too long? i wouldnt leave motor oil in there longer than 5,000 miles at most. Possibly 6,000 miles depending on driving conditions. No way am i leaving it in for 10,000 miles.
Old 12-08-2003

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
I left out oil changes, as I suppose of any maintenance item that can vary alot, depending on how the vehicle is driven. I usually change the oil between 3k - 5k miles. Neither of the two vehicles sees (on average) much more than 10k miles per year right now.
Old 12-08-2003
Registered!!

Quiksilver09 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think a big part of it has to do with how you drive. Honda makes it's schedule based on everyday somewhat slow and low rpm driving. Boiler with your Auto-X and any other spirited driving you do you will shorten those intervals. Yes theirs may be a bit far fetched but again I think they base it off of a slightly less than perfect driving environment. IE old lady. :-)
-Nic
Old 12-08-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Even when I'm not autoXing, I can still drain out filthy oil after 4500 miles (the interval according to MY manual). Now sure, you can leave it in there, and it probably won't make a difference since I use synthetic, but I dont want that crap getting blown around in there. Most of my driving now is around town, which also kills the car (1 city mile=3 highway miles), so I can't wait until I get back on Co-op and can just do my 40 mile highway drive everyday.
Yes it has to do with how you drive, but its also gotta do with where you drive. Honda's 10K oil interval was in "ideal conditions", probably in a clean room in a lab somewhere. I just can't buy into 10000 miles of dirty air getting sucked in and not getting that dirt into the oil. The filter only does so much, not to mention just engine wear (what little there should be), and dirt particles that get in there. There's nothing you can do about it, but it just seems as if they're dreaming. I took my stock spark plugs to the dealer and asked what gives...
The manager guy agreed with me that they were roasted... but obviously danced around the reason, since they lasted about 1/4 the recommended interval. I just left it be, since the car is running better on platinums now anyways.
Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

Quiksilver09 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah like I said I'm just trying to justify their standpoint... do I agree with it no, but they do those things and then when people follow what they say and something goes wrong they can find a loophole. We're all smart enough to know that those figures are only under their ideal test situations and not everyday driving let alone spirited driving.
Old 12-14-2003
Registered!!

bullseye is an unknown quantity at this point
I am now at 81,825 miles on my 2001 LX and it still has the original plugs - pulled a couple a few months back and they still looked good. My car sees the high rpm range every day. Still have the orginal brake pads. The oil changes I do at 4000 miles. A few times I went to 5000. No way I will go much past that. 10,000 miles? No way - I agree on that one - too long for me! Other than the oil change interval I don't think their maintenance intervals are too long.