Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A whistle inside my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GrlCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
A whistle inside my car

Ok so the other day I was driving home from work and ran into some traffic, so i was there sitting my my car in stop and go traffic, So i turned up the radio, a few minutes later i heard a whistle, so i jsu tfigured someone was whistleing @ me, i was falattered. Then i heard it a second time i thought it was the radio,over and over again i kept hearing this whistle. finally i figured out it was inside the car, My question is did/does anyone else have/had this problem. And if so what the frock is it??????? it's driving ny crazy !
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

ASuave is an unknown quantity at this point
was it like a WOOO WOOOOOOOO?

sorry, couldn't resist
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

TiM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
OH MAN! That happens to me too, but I just thought it was me. I have no idea what it is though?!?!
Old 07-22-2003
sometimes i pee when i laugh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

sivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to behold
never heard a whistle but something in my car vibrates... i THINK its the glovebox but i cant figure out what it is...

hope u get yer whistle prollem all figured out...
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

pootietang is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i get a whistle sound too when my car is at a stop and ac is on
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

MORON is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard in mine as well, no idea what it is
Old 07-22-2003
Registered!!

meth is an unknown quantity at this point
i get a whistle too.... it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side vent on the dash... or something behind it in the engine bay? not sure yet tho.
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

Y
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

YEAH I thought it was my power steering, but i checked the level and that seems to be ok , but it does sound as if it's comming from my steering wheel .
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
I would double check your electrical system and check the alternator. I have a similar wurrrrr and whine that comes on when I add a load to it (headlights, fan) An easy way to check it put your hazards on and listen. If you hear the noise get louder/quiet/louder/quiet as they flash its a good way to check. Next step is getting honda to fix it
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

thanx!
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

my blinker is screwed up... and it does that louder quieter thing when i turn the hazards on.... i brought it to Honda and they didnt know wut was screwing it up... and they said it would probably be 3 - 4 hours to fix it and it's not covered under waranty b/c of my aftermarket alarm system and intake... ****ing bastards need to get every penny they can.
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

rkotlowski is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I think it's your stereo! Turn your stereo off next time you hear a whistle sound. If that's the case I would redo the ground on your system!

Rob
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

it's even when the stereo is off.... so i dont think it's that.
Old 07-23-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by rkotlowski
Hey I think it's your stereo! Turn your stereo off next time you hear a whistle sound. If that's the case I would redo the ground on your system!

Rob

i would def think its a ground.
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
I have this too and I figured out exactly what it is. When you have your AC on you can hear the AC compressor, I'm pretty sure it's the compressor, turn on and off every couple of minutes. Occasionally when it comes on it makes that strange whistle noise. I thought it sounds like when a cop turns on their siren for a fraction of a second.

Like I said, it only happens once in a great while, so it's hard to check out. I heard it a couple of times on my way to school once and once I got there I parked and left my car running. I just kept turning on my AC, waiting a couple of seconds, then turning it off again. I repeated this over and over. Occasionally, right when the compressor? starts up (you can hear that loud "click" noise then the radiator fans turn on) I would hear that weird noise.
I checked and there was no rubbing anywhere so I'm not sure why it does it.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

Yeah Brandon I think so too, since it only happens when i have my A/C
on. thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

i NEVER use my A/C and i hear it.... so i dont think it's that. lol sorry to bust that idea.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute
its definitely the A/C kuz when i have it on it makes a whistle sound sometimes.....haha, i blamed my lady for making sounds while i was bumpin my muzik then when the track was over, i heard it again and got bopped on the head! Honest mistake....but hey, its the A/C no doubt...i guess the A/C gets bored too!! Hahaha...
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

I left my radio off today while I was driving all over. Anyway, I noticed that my car does it when the AC compressor turns off too. I only used to notice it when it would turn on. Like I said before though, it is only occasionally. It might not do it for weeks, but then it'll happen 5 or 6 times in one afternoon.
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

TiM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I only hear it when I turn, so I'm not sure if its the A/C. I thought maybe it had something to do with my suspension.
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

g_50b is an unknown quantity at this point
when i test drove a 03 civic, it made a whistle sound too..the ac was off and the radio was off too..my friend's Si also makes the sound. He has an exhaust so when he turns off his car, from the outside it sounds like he has a turbo because u can hear the whistle die down...
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

krc2583 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same thing w/ my '02 lx sedan. i can mostly hear the squeaking when my car is warming up. i also hear it after the car is warmed up, but it's not as loud. i noticed that it does it when i push the gas pedal down to a certain position, when i'm accelerating at a slower, steady pace. it does it w/ the ac on or off. i can only really hear it when i have the windows down. i can hear the squeaking from both sides of the car, under the hood.
Old 07-26-2003
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
it's definitely the a/c. i've been hearing the same sound inside my car too
Old 07-26-2003
Registered!!

I think those of us talking about the noise that happens from the AC are talking about something different than those of you who say it happens when the AC is off. The noise I'm talking about is for SURE from the AC. There are a couple of different types of whistling noise from diff. things in the engine bay though, which I guess is what you other guys are talking about.
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
the sound the in the engine bay should not be an issue. I'm hearing the whistling sound INSIDE the car. it's hard to type how it sounds but it's like a "booowwaaap"
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

mine is a high pitch whistle... nothing low pitch like that tho.
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn I thought I was the only one. I've heard that since I first bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. I only does it when I have the ac on. It feels good to know Im not the only one.
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

mrad55 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem. But i figured out what it was. Check the top seal of your windshields (on the outside of the car). I'm talking about the black strip along the top of the windshield. Mine was loose on the drivers side. I took it to the honda dealership and they replaced the entire strip and re-sealed it. Ever since then i havent heard any more noises.
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

RIC3BOY is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problems here, but from what im reading above it seems to be 2 problems... well kinda.

1. i hear this "wuuuur" or "wooot" noise. windows up or down, a/c on or not, and radio on or not, i still hear it. at first i thought it was the power steering, cuz when i turned the wheel at a dead stop w/ the engine running i would hear it sometimes. but so far i havent heard the noise when i was driving, it only happened at a stand still.

2. i hear this "sucking" noise when im driving, but only with the windows down, a/c on or not. i hear it only at certain engine speeds with certain throttle positions as well. guessing its just air going into the intake pipe (btw: i have no aftermarket engine parts, completely stock).

but anyway, i think the best thing to do is go to honda to get it checked out. last time i went to get something checked out b/c of noises they ended up replacing defective front struts (under warranty). so a visit to honda wouldn't hurt, especially if ur car is still under warranty!

anyway good luck

Quick Reply: A whistle inside my car