Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

2006 Civic alarms going off after AAA unlocked door

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff-R is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic alarms going off after AAA unlocked door

Hi all honda experts, of which I am certainly not one.
We've owned the car used for many years but long ago *someone* lost the remote key. No biggie, wife uses the manual key with no problems until it wouldnt work. The cylinder or key or both must be worn out. I was able to jiggle it enough to get her going but darned if she got stuck at work late at night, couldnt get in.

The car had to sit overnight and she called triple A the next day. The guy got the car unlocked and brought her key back but didnt say how he got in. Wife comes driving up after work with the alarms blaring as she's driving! It goes off every few minutes whether the car is running or not. I ended up disconnecting the battery so the neighbors wouldn't kill us.

Help! I'm not sure what to do next. The only key she has no longer turns the cylinder. I cannot find a reset button under the dash. I'm not sure the trim level either but the car has no manual locks except the driver door. Logic says something the AAA guy did to get into the car has set off the security system. I've searched this problem high and low and havent found one quite like this. TIA for any suggestions!

Cliff-R
Old 08-31-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2006 Civic alarms going off after AAA unlocked door

That is odd.

If the car detects the OEM key it should disable the alarm.

If AAA bypassed the door lock by using a break in tool, down the window maybe try the following...

-disconnect the battery terminal
-have the window down
-lock the door manually from the inside
-shut the door
-wait 20 minutes
-reconnect the battery
-see if the alarm goes off

-if not open the door and start it.

-if you open the door with the manual switch and it goes off, redo the first few steps then reach through the window and start the car.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The guy got the car unlocked and brought her key back but didnt say how he got in.
I think the issue lies within this event.

(Owners manual, 2006, Sedan, P144)

The guy got it unlocked and open without the lock/unlock status switches changing state within the power lock actuator/door latch assembly. (i.e. he pulled the unlock **** to get the door open)

Now you can't use the key to twist the door lock to operate those switches--- and the alarm is still pizzed off about it. It will not STFU until you can twist the key in the door lock again OR use the remote transmitter to unlock the doors.

Door lock cylinder apparently needs to be retumbled due to worn or damaged wafers. Remove the cylinder and get the tumbler wafers replaced (might need a key too, they do wear out, and it will need programmed to the car).........You could call and see if your dealer will admit to having a sidewinder tumbler kit, and call your locksmith shops about HONDA SIDEWINDER LOCK TUMBLERS first, then explain your situation....... Ask the locksmith about fresh keys and programming, and see about getting a key with the transmitter built in.

In my small town the local locksmith can't do sidewinder locks, nor do they cut and program Hondas sidewinder keys. In my town it's dealer only.
Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
That is odd.

If the car detects the OEM key it should disable the alarm.

If AAA bypassed the door lock by using a break in tool, down the window maybe try the following...

-disconnect the battery terminal
-have the window down
-lock the door manually from the inside
-shut the door
-wait 20 minutes
-reconnect the battery
-see if the alarm goes off

-if not open the door and start it.

-if you open the door with the manual switch and it goes off, redo the first few steps then reach through the window and start the car.

Good luck
Thanks so much Mac25. I tried your steps and it was still going off. I couldnt risk a mob scene so I pulled fuse 12 for stop and horn. The lights flash so still good for diagnosing. In the end I did have to reach through the window to start it but it still didnt kill the alarm. I shut the car off, left the window down and doors locked with button inside. The alarm timed out and hasn't started up again but I'm sceered to try and open the door again I'll give it a half hour.
Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I think the issue lies within this event.
Now you can't use the key to twist the door lock to operate those switches--- and the alarm is still pizzed off about it. It will not STFU until you can twist the key in the door lock again OR use the remote transmitter to unlock the doors.
And this is what logic is telling me as well. I see in diagrams that the lock assy operates a short cable which operates a solenoid switch. Bah. We're having an unprecedented heat wave and I'm loathe to tear into the door on this little gokart. Was really hoping a simple reset as mac25 suggested would do the trick and I'm still hoping
Thanks ezone. the tips are much appreciated
Old 08-31-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was really hoping a simple reset as mac25 suggested would do the trick and I'm still hoping
Sorry, that's not going to happen.

IF you have a correct wiring diagram and some time you might be able to pull the door panel off and jumper the correct wires to fool the alarm into thinking the key was actually twisted in the door lock.
But as soon as the car gets locked again you'll be back to square one with a pizzed off alarm.
Old 08-31-2017
Registered!!

grrrrr >:-(
Old 09-01-2017
Registered!!

argh. unlocked through window and you were right- flashing alarms instantly. I'm going to order a new lock and key and the wife will just have to use one for the door and one for ignition. If this ends up working I'll post back. Thanks guys
Old 09-01-2017

Originally Posted by Cliff-R
I'm going to order a new lock and key and the wife will just have to use one for the door and one for ignition.
Keep in mind...If you EVER lose the keys, you won't be able to get any made (cut by VIN code) that work the replacement lock.
Old 09-01-2017
Registered!!

Yeah I figured that but despite the heat today I pulled the door panel and got the lock out. What a sonofableep. The lock assembly includes a cable that snaps into the actuator block. I took the tumblers out and by golly every one of the pins but one was busted in half. I removed the broken ones with their springs, put it back together and it worked. The instant I used the key to unlock it the alarm system turned off. Sweet! So now I'll order a new genuine Honda assembly at about $60.
Thanks so much for the help ezone and mac25!
Old 09-01-2017

I'd just replace the wafers in the cylinder and keep the original key, but I have access to the complete tumbler kit and I retumble worn/jammed ignitions quite frequently.
Old 09-01-2017

You know all but maybe one of the tumbler wafers appear split if you don't know what they are..... (I know ignitions have a single wide tumbler, but I forget if the door lock does as well)