Brakes Post information/questions/Issues about Brakes here.

Using spray bottle to bleed brakes

Old 04-19-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Using spray bottle to bleed brakes

Just curious has anyone used a squirter from a spray bottle for bleeding there brakes.? reason i ask.? i stumbled across this video i think the hose hese using is a little too long lol.

Old 04-19-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Video - DIY Changing front brakes - pads & Rotors

i would just buy the proper tool for $20, i feel like the plastic would get eaten by the fluid.
Old 04-19-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using spray bottle to bleed brakes

Harbor Freight hand vacuum pump kit $19.99......

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...kit-69328.html

Oh this is USA, not sure if you can find similar in Canada?
Old 04-19-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Yeah we can find similar I got mine at Ukranian tire on sale for like $20
Old 04-05-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a Motive setup for my other cars as I am able to adapt that system for the various reservoirs. I am unable to use the Motive system with my 2010 civic so I purchased a Mytivac system . It operates like the Harbor Freight ( iI had no idea they sold that). Some bubbles will come through once you start vacuuming and I was told to use a dab of silicone around the treads and this would stop air from getting in. perhaps I will try that next time
Old 04-05-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chuffsy
and I was told to use a dab of silicone around the treads and this would stop air from getting in. perhaps I will try that next time
I don't like this idea.

Engineer reply:
Any air pulled past the threads under a vacuum only exits through the bleeder hole and you see it as bubbles in the clear tube that connected to the can and the vacuum pump.
If the little bulge on the bleeder you connected the clear hose to isn't perfect, something like rust corrosion or a poor fit could let air bubbles show up as well.

The air bubbles noticed as a result of those cases----- under a vacuum .........is not entering the caliper or wheel cylinder.
I would not be concerned by that observation. It happens when using a vacuum method.

Mechanic reply: I wouldn't worry about that.
If you take out the bleeder screws to lube em up, yer gonna let fluid leak out and let air leak in the whole time they are out.
You don''t know that whatever you slap on the threads may actually be incompatible, it might actually contaminate the fluid and cause damage to the brake hydraulic system components.

Rubber components in a brake system can quickly swell and soften when contaminated by a petroleum product, whether it's motor oil or KY or Vaseline

At work I might have about 6 different tubes of silicone greases, only one is specifically called for use on assembling a component in direct contact with brake fluid.
I'm not going to see if the other 5 will hurt a brake system.