Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Road sound heard in cabin when driving..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TryllZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Road sound heard in cabin when driving..

Hi,

I have a 2006 Civic

I lately replaced the wheel bearings and Lower Arm bushes, and now there is sound coming when driving, this is a constant sound when driving between any speeds and not coming when driving off-roads, I replaced the front tyres with the back ones and now the sound is even more, is there something I should know or replace, i didnt replace the tyres yet since purchase...this sound was less before replacing the lower arm bushes, but after that the sound was too much then I replaced the Wheel bearings. I feel like the sound is of the contact between road and tyres and comes in the cabin but its abnormally higher.

Could it just be the tyres without the wheel or both if it could be the culprit ?

Any information.

Thank You
Old 03-11-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Road sound heard in cabin when driving..

What kind of sound is it? Buzzing, clunking, scrapping, grinding or a general roaring sound? Does it change with the speed of the car?

Tires can change in sound as they age so it could be them.

Was the sound there before the wheel bearings were replaced? I only ask because it is possible that the sound was always there and you were unable to hear it because of the bad bearing.

Did you use OEM parts?
Old 03-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Did you use rubber or Poly bushings? Poly will transmit a lot more noise than rubber, but even new rubber bushings will transmit more noise than old ones that are torn.
Old 03-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I replaced the front tyres with the back ones and now the sound is even more
Noise moved with the tires.

That tells me the tires have chopped the tread, usually worse on the inner edges.

The tires that WERE on the rear are choppy, now you moved them to the front, where it is much more noticeable,
Old 03-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Have you gotten the rear-upper control arms fixed yet?
They can cause un-even tire wear, which can sound very similar to a wheel bearing going bad.

I had it, and had to deal with some very noisy tired because of it, unfortunately once the tires are screwed the noise will always be there, until you get new tires...

If you look at the back suspension the upper arm should have a C on it, on mine the C is white but idk if that is always the case.

They were covered under warranty, but you are well out of that at this point, i can't remember if the warranty was increased for the arms or not, but I don't think it was.

Here was my battle with the issue:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ve-camber.html
Old 03-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794

If you look at the back suspension the upper arm should have a C on it, on mine the C is white but idk if that is always the case.
Check out the post here, there's pics of the C

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/181-8th-9th-gen/346182-beck-arnley-rear-upper-control-arms.html#post4648427

They were covered under warranty, but you are well out of that at this point, i can't remember if the warranty was increased for the arms or not, but I don't think it was.
It WAS in the USA, but the extension period has ended.

For anyone that stumbles across this thread, the (US Class Action Settlement) warranty extension period has now officially ended.

All issues are now the customers' responsibility, not Hondas.
Old 03-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TryllZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
What kind of sound is it? Buzzing, clunking, scrapping, grinding or a general roaring sound? Does it change with the speed of the car?

Tires can change in sound as they age so it could be them.

Was the sound there before the wheel bearings were replaced? I only ask because it is possible that the sound was always there and you were unable to hear it because of the bad bearing.

Did you use OEM parts?
Its a mix of Grinding/Buzzing/Scrapping sound of when the car drives on the road, I'm sure everyone can hear the engine sound, but there's a sound of the car driving and although it doesn't increase with driving faster it can be felt in the car body, and its more felt when driving slower such as 30-40 km/h, I feel 1 tyre is wobbly but I'm unsure but again its not the wobbly sound the one Im talking about.

Yes the sound was there even before the bearings, its actually like this:

I used to hear this sound [with wobbly sound] so I swapped the front tyres L with R & the sound reduced, then it started coming again, and anyway I had to replace lower arm bushes cause I had sound when going over humps I replaced the Lower Arm bushes and the mechanic told me the bearings are out and needs be replaced so I did.

Then I started hearing the sounds again [without wobbly] so I swapped both Rear tyes with the front ones, now the sound is even more [and there is wobbly sound too], Its like I can feel the contact of the car tyre grinding/scrapping on the road sound [only in a too much abnormal way] and can be felt through the accelerator/brake pedal and there is this wobble that happens when speeding up which disappears after speeding and it comes back again when applying brakes at the same speed, I think there is a bend on 1 of the wheels.

The tire treads seem find as I see but I still think its the tyres but I don't want the tyre to be replaced and then the sound is still there.

OEM parts were costly so I used third party.

NB: I know about car sounds as I have driven different cars, thus I can instantly find out any abnormal sounds.

Appreciate everybody's support in this.

Thank You All.

Last edited by TryllZ; 03-11-2014 at 10:14 PM.