Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2006 Civic RPMs Jump at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dshervin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic RPMs Jump at Idle

So my 2006 Civic Coupe has been having a rough reverse for months. Only when I reverse it makes kind of a whining noise and sounds louder through the exhaust. Not sure if this has anything to do with what is going on now, but it has been having a semi rough idle for a year now. Nothing too bad but the car shakes when idling. Just yesterday, when i'm idling or at a red-light, the car has been idling extremely rough. The RPMs keep dipping dangerously low, and jumping up and down from around 700 RPM down to like 400 or so. I have't let it do it long enough without pressing gas yet, but it feels like it is going to stall when it dips low. It started doing it only sometimes a few days ago, but now it happens anytime and at any stop/red-light after I drive it for say 5 minutes. When I first started driving it this morning it seemed to be running fine. In order for it to not do this, i've been keeping my foot on the brake and accelerating a little bit at the same time and it obviously does not do it. As soon as I stop accelerating it does it again. It has been doing this since yesterday. Yesterday right after it started happening non-stop, I was stopped at a red light, and when I started back up my RPMs would raise normally but my car would not go any faster than 10 MPH, would not speed up. I stopped, turned it off and back on and it drove normally again. It hasn't done this since yesterday and i've driven it twice for about 10 miles each time and on highways. I got the A/C replaced a month and a half ago and replaced the battery a month ago. I checked my ATF yesterday and it was a light brownish color, but the levels were fine. I bought 3 Qts of ATF last night and plan on draining and replacing that after work at 5PM Eastern. Does anyone have any ideas of what may be going on? It is a 1.8L 4cylinder. Sorry if I have left anything out, please if you need anymore information, I will try and get back ASAP.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 09-27-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2006 Civic RPMs Jump at Idle

CEL on? Did you scan it for codes?
Old 09-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dshervin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 Civic RPMs Jump at Idle

Unfortunately it is not throwing any codes. No maintenance lights or check engine lights are coming on. How do I check if the CEL is on? I am not too versed in transmission work.