Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Water pump pulley failure !!!

Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZILLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Water pump pulley failure !!!

2008 CIVIC SEDAN EXL/NAV ...98K MILES >>> .."stamped" pulley for water pump "spot weld" gave/broke ... Taking out belt , tensioner and water pump !!! Cost $800 in repairs !!! Left me stranded !!! Honda is taking so many shotcuts and spot welding a water pump pulley is unbelieveable !!!! This could cause major engine damage .
Relay for a/c unit had to be replaced > " honda" choose to use cheap ones ... , blower died at 60 ,000 miles ....sunvisors are pitiful ...should be called floppy visors !!! Digital readouts failing and on and on . Most issues are because of using cheaper parts and letting the customer pick up the repairs later on . I have reciets and proff of all these issues .
This honda civic wont go 100,000 miles without costly repairs !!! At least kia and hyndai back up their produts for 10 years / 100,000 miles !!! Even now their air bags are failing , engine block issues , and who knows what else .
These civics are "" not "" what they were !!! And now they even stooped to using cvt / belt driven transmissions !!! Now as i drive it , i feel like " whats" going to fail next !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please note that i have owned civics since 1975 and i'm saying they have gone downhill since then ,,,, maybe 20 percent as good as 1975 model . Beware that repairs are extremely expensive as most machanics hate working on these cars because of such tight working areas ... Access to wearable parts are painfully difficult !!! And not lasting even 100,000 miles is "very" sad !!!

Last edited by ZILLA; 08-30-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: YEAR AND MODEL AND MILES.
Old 08-30-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Water pump pulley failure !!!

That sucks... are you the first owner? My '03 has gone 191k miles without too many issues. It all depends on the care it is given throughout its lifetime.
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

2008 exl/nav all maint. Performed and driven easy . Above happened " water pump pulley " at 98k miles . Could understand a water pump starting to leak ,,,,, but the stupid pulley > "cheap stamped and spot welded " could not make it ??? Makes you wonder if honda would use a plastic pulley ...would they try ? Also own toyotas and they go 200,000 miles easily without problems . Go ahead and buy a honda and roll the dice .... Kia and hoyndai or however it's spelled are much better. Thats why they give a 10 year 100,ooo mile warranty . Toyota does not have to do this .
I had to duct tape the sun visors closed ... What a shame !!! Honda is resting on their laurels and think we are so stupid and will keep buying their junk . Well anyway their airbag problem / again buying junk parts will cost them dearly and rightly should !!! Again honda products are " not " what they were ! Buyer beware !!!! Maybe they need to get south korea to show them how to make a quality product ??? Same thing that happened to sony tvs is going to happen to honda ..... South korea and china just makes much better products ...and time will tell . Oh yea.... The cvt transmissions they are forcing on the civics .... Lower cost to make and better profit for honda ...... Maybe they will last till warranty expires ??? Time will tell !!! Also the steel belt in these transmissons , running a auto down the road a good idea ???????????? One link goes bad , of which they are hundreds ,,,,then opps.... You are in for a walk, tow , and a big ole repair bill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Hah I'll bet ezone is gonna love this one...
Old 08-30-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ZILLA
Please note that i have owned civics since 1975 and i'm saying they have gone downhill since then ,,,, maybe 20 percent as good as 1975 model . Beware that repairs are extremely expensive as most machanics hate working on these cars because of such tight working areas ... Access to wearable parts are painfully difficult !!! And not lasting even 100,000 miles is "very" sad !!!
I'm kinda with you actually. I wouldn't be inclined to buy a Civic after 2000 for various reasons. I think you've kind of overstated the not being as good as a 75 Civic because those cars were super fun and funky but had zero creature comfort and let's face it in an accident situation it doubled as your coffin.
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

All i can say is , find out for yourself !!! Civics are 60,000 miles if you are lucky !!! Not built to last. Japan products are 3rd rate status in my opinion. China , us and germany are top three !!!
Wont a really long lasting quality product , grab any ford f-150 !!!
Old 08-30-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ZILLA
grab any ford f-150 !!!

yeah...er, um, noooo....

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ts-advice.html
Old 08-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poopies
Hah I'll bet ezone is gonna love this one...
Oh yeah, I remember this OP....Every post has been unproductive ranting.
A spot-on reply from his last thread of inane ranting:

Originally Posted by jordan1794
I think the problem with your posting, is that you aren't asking for any discussion, you aren't mentioning specific issues looking for solutions...you are literally just complaining. This is a forum for discussion, not just to vent.

Now, if you want to complain WHILE ASKING for help to fix something, we'd be more than happy to do so. Complaining for the sake of complaining serves no purpose here

OP: Why are you still wasting money on that Civic you hate so much? You should buy a finely engineered Chrysler product.

FWIW....I don't remember noticing spot welds on the water pump pulley, I guess I'll have to remember to look next time I have a ......wait, I don't think I ever see water pumps leaking on that engine.

I also wonder if someone installed a belt that was a little bit too short, or followed an old incorrect belt routing diagram.
Old 09-02-2016
Registered!!

ALL original , master Honda mechanic gave this diagnosis . This goes under "mechanical problems" . any ranting of Honda products as "bad" , as long as honest ,should be shared . My experience is that quality is slipping and as an owner of many Honda vehicles since 1975 ...... I should know . Anyways ... sales declines should honestly show if this is true .
Old 09-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, these cars just don't last...received this error message, but only lasted 1/10 of a mile.

Name:  image.jpg1_zpstr2v6g2m.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  106.7 KB
Old 09-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dobber1
Yeah, these cars just don't last...received this error message, but only lasted 1/10 of a mile.

What sort of trickery is this???