non-VTEC to VTEC Head swap place your information/questions on swapping the engine head from non-VTEC to VTEC

DIY - DX/LX head swap to EX Vtec

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jturbolx is a jewel in the roughjturbolx is a jewel in the roughjturbolx is a jewel in the rough
engine in all runs great gota wire the vtec stuff up tomarow sweet!
Old 10-01-2004
Registered!!

jturbolx is a jewel in the roughjturbolx is a jewel in the roughjturbolx is a jewel in the rough
everything went great!!! xproductionz
you are god !!!! lol love vtec!!
Old 10-02-2004

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
haha... thanks
Old 10-02-2004

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
so... does that make it 2 head swaps so far on this site?
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

finally took old motor apart

ok swap done great yeah!!!! sweet loven vtec. Took apart the motor, well the lx one and found out what was damaged, the rod bent and started to rub on the block, damn still should beable to be rebuilt but not sure. Cai+ water- bypass valve =
Old 10-09-2004

nice to hear... scratch another one for head swap
Old 10-16-2004
Registered!!

2003hondacivic should not be trusted2003hondacivic should not be trusted2003hondacivic should not be trusted
where can i find a ex head i have looked in all the juck yeards here and no 7thgencivic anywhere
Old 10-16-2004

check in th efor sale section.. some people osmetimes have there heads for sale..
Old 10-30-2004

all in all... car is running perfectly fine and its been almost 3 months now and no problems... check oil and everything else.. its all good
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2003hondacivic
where can i find a ex head i have looked in all the juck yeards here and no 7thgencivic anywhere
i can mostlikely find you one but shipping will be a sob let me know though
Old 11-12-2004

well... 3 months later and car is running great.. especially since i HAD turbo running too.. was good cause the turbo spooled faster once vtec kicked in which is great...i even tried running turbo without the vtec... sucks ***... anyways.. . thought i would give an update... and for all of you guys that i have been helping over PM's and got it done.. the best of luck to your new found glory.. peace
Old 11-13-2004
Registered!!

civiclx4dr has a little shameless behaviour in the past
runs great and vtec is sweet just neede tuning thanks for the help
Old 12-07-2004
Boosted 04

joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
Very nice info thanks
Old 12-08-2004

glad to help anyone else... especially since i am leaving the d17 bandwagon soon and swapping a k20 in.. i'll be using dohc instead of sohc and running hondata
Old 12-09-2004
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
ok i was just curious to see how this works and let me say really well, i put my dx computer back in and wired the vtec controller how he has it and re tuned it to the way i had it. so we race at a place thats .28 miles. my avergae last time on 3 runs with the ex computer was 15.802 with this setup i ran an average of 15.681.(we use a stop watch to get the times so we run it 3 times.) thats off the bottle and im not gonna use it cause im running a little learn for my taste in 3rd according to my air/fuel guage. i'll put up my settings for the VAFC II when i finish tuning it to get a little more fuel in 3rd.
Old 12-09-2004
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
of yeah i nopw have a 2001 ex 5-speed computer for sale if anyone is intrested.
Old 01-04-2005
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
Anyone try this with the Emanage? I will be in about 2 weeks just wondering if the Vtec engagement works. Already got the greddy and the head work done so guess we will see. Love any insite form anyone as well tho.
Old 01-09-2005
Supercharged k20a3

Drivetofast is an unknown quantity at this point
look at this good price on ebay for a head now one of you guys can do it also, and if any of you guys in socal are looking to do this and want somone to instal it i will do it for you for a good price, i have taken of a head on a 7th gen in the front of my hose 3 times

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755
Old 01-10-2005
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
Well this post is particularly refreshing for me due to the fact that I own an LX. Does this trick work on the '05 LX though? I just bought mine and I'm dissapointed that I didnt get the VTEC. Also, if I can do this swap, this will bump my displacement to that of the EX right? Im not too sure, but any info would be super helpful. Thanks. Great job on the swap by the way.
Old 01-10-2005

Originally Posted by SpoonEP
Well this post is particularly refreshing for me due to the fact that I own an LX. Does this trick work on the '05 LX though? I just bought mine and I'm dissapointed that I didnt get the VTEC. Also, if I can do this swap, this will bump my displacement to that of the EX right? Im not too sure, but any info would be super helpful. Thanks. Great job on the swap by the way.
it does raise the compression.. also if you want to have them mil the head for ya to raise the compression even more... yes it should work on the 05 cause my neighbor is in the process of doing the same thing on his 05 which is basically the same engine
Old 01-11-2005
Supercharged k20a3

it will work on all motors, the only thing that is not the same it the egr valve on the side but the 05 lx has one so it is more conpatible then 01-04, but it still works fine on 01-04 all you have to do is use the side of thr head with the egr valve and rplace it with the stock one
Old 01-11-2005
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
Well that sounds good, i think ill begin the swap. By the way, if your neighbor runs into anything inparticular that you think i should know, let me know so i don't have too much trouble doing this.
Old 01-11-2005

will do!!
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

skydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question: Are the ports on the head, or in the block? I want to know bc I have heard that the ports on the dx motor are smaller than the rest. If the ports ore on the head, then you get bigger ports with the head swap AND vtec. If they are on the block, then you just get vtec. Obviously the larger ports would have more potential for POWER.
Old 01-12-2005

ports are all on the head...both intake and exhaust ports.. the block itself only has the pistons and sleeves and stuff
Old 01-12-2005
Registered!!

Awsome........ So with the head swap, you can actually put a nice header and intake manifold on the thing. Does nyone know the limits you can take the head shaving to? Can you get up to, say, 10:1 just by shaving the head? Will the stock internals take it?
Old 01-12-2005
Supercharged k20a3

removing the head is very hard enless youe are a profesinal you should not do it yourself
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

There is a local shop that can do the work for me.....
I want to know how far o9necan take this head shaving thing to.
Old 01-14-2005

there is a recommended MIL in the helms manual.. dont know what it is but if you do shave it too much you can always put in thicker head gasket to compensate
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

xproductionz, do you have that ex head from the swap you did? If so, want to sell it? maybe the vafc2?

Quick Reply: DIY - DX/LX head swap to EX Vtec