Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

How do I clean the inside of my windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
How do I clean the inside of my windshield?

It's all smudgey. How can I best clean the inside of my windows (especially the front window)?

Thanks.

IronFist
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

Weaponx12o is on a distinguished road
get a auto glass cleaner or even windex, but make sure it's the streakless kind. get a cloth or paper towel (preferably cloth though) then just spray hope this helps
Old 05-22-2003
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Do not use Windex....Use non ammonia products, Like Spray Away or another glass cleaner with no ammonia in it. Spray the glass....Wipe it down with a clean terry towel, and then dry it with a micro fiber towel....After you wipe it dry, turn the towel over to a clean dry spot and re wipe the window till there is nothing left to wipe.
Old 05-22-2003
Registered!!

gladiator is an unknown quantity at this point
i usually use mother's prewax cleaner and then sealer/glaze. it cuts right through grease and grime and leaves the inside glass very smooth.
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

GideoN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by gladiator
i usually use mother's prewax cleaner and then sealer/glaze. it cuts right through grease and grime and leaves the inside glass very smooth.
Never heard of doing that. Just don't use Windex. You should never use Windex on your car, atleast on the inside.
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

FallenAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by gladiator
Gladiator "Mother's prewax" why does that sound familar, yes Psycho Norman bates !
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

So does anyone else do the prewax cleaner and sealer/glaze method?
Old 05-23-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
Any clear autoglass cleaner and newspaper...
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

I definently wouldn't recommend using newspaper. The ink would run man. Use a microfiber cloth and clean 100% terry cloth.
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

lease:

I've been doing this for years on all my cars and never had the ink run. BTW, I have the beige interior in my Civic so I'm sure I'd notice. Heck, I've never even had so much as my hands get dark... maybe you did it wrong I assume you've used newspaper in the past and had the ink run?

You know, they did manage to get windshields super clean before microfiber cloths came onto the market.

As for the guy using the glaze, I guess you also use 303 protectant on the windows. It works great for clear plastic like the gauge cluster cover.

Originally posted by GideoN
I definently wouldn't recommend using newspaper. The ink would run man. Use a microfiber cloth and clean 100% terry cloth.
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

Yeah, chill man. Just because it has been done before microfiber cloth came into the market doesn't mean it is still the best way. I just wouldn't trust the newspaper method at all because of the fact that ink on newspaper run very easily. GREAT, I'm happy you haven't had that happen to you but I recommend using something that Meguiar's or Mother's use.
Old 05-24-2003
Registered!!

Hey man, I'm not flaming ya... but you shouldn't knock something you haven't tried... I have tried microfiber and it does work well but not well enough for me to put a "best" tag on it.

Besides, newspaper has to have more than just the one use of telling me that our state's budget sucks and that kids won't be in schools, felons won't be in jail, and our taxes must go up to prevent this.

as for anything being the best, everyone has their opinions... That is why there is not just one response on this thread...

As far as opinions go on my end, my experience with Meguiar's products would lead me to stray away from their stuff. I've had good luck with the Mother's products although I currently use none...

Right now, my "arsenal" consists of Zaino, Eagle One for glass (with newspaper) and their NeverDull for metal polish, and 303 for basically everything else. I've got a car care cabinet full of other stuff that I tried and was unhappy with (including a Meguiar's gift box set that has a nice wood box).

BTW, you can even use Zaino on your glass Resists the film buildup on the inside and acts like RainX on the outside.

Yeah, chill man. Just because it has been done before microfiber cloth came into the market doesn't mean it is still the best way. I just wouldn't trust the newspaper method at all because of the fact that ink on newspaper run very easily. GREAT, I'm happy you haven't had that happen to you but I recommend using something that Meguiar's or Mother's use.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

Steely is an unknown quantity at this point
I always use Pure rubbing alchol and news paper on my window's, and have for almost 4 year's. They are tinted and have not turned any un normal color. It's cheap and awesome. Try it on chrome sometime if you have never used it before.
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use any window cleaner out there that your heart desires. Simply spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel or whatever. Then, go back and buff it with a towel or whatever to get rid of any streaks or haze.

I use a terry towel and water on the tinted windows. It gets them perfectly clean. Some people just can't accept the fact that windows can be cleaned with just plain water.

Oh, and I have used Windex on my windshield several times. What's wrong with windex?
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

Windex is an ammonia product that can damage your tint.

By the way, I finally watched Knockaround Guys and I say someone clean a windshield with a newspaper. If you guys haven't seen that movie, WATCH IT and wait for that part.
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

Yep! Actually, I've got a friend who washes his dark blue Chevy pickup without soap. Its never that dirty as its a fair weather driver with a great paint job. So, he just rinses the truck off, gets a clean wet towel and wipes it, and then dries it off... looks great.

Originally posted by Mbow
[B]
Some people just can't accept the fact that windows can be cleaned with just plain water.
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

You are right about the ammonia part...

As for the movie thing, I hope you don't believe everything you see in the movies... Hmm, maybe we have special paper and ink here in Oregon since it rains a lot. I've never had any newspaper ink even remotely turn my hands any color darker than they are ...

I mean its just our local paper, not something fancy like the WSJ... Works awesome on the house windows too...

But, whatever you say man... Goes back to trying something before you knock it...

Windex is an ammonia product that can damage your tint.

By the way, I finally watched Knockaround Guys and I say someone clean a windshield with a newspaper. If you guys haven't seen that movie, WATCH IT and wait for that part.
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a related question.

What is the best way to clean the inside rear windshield? After my last car had a few years on it, the back always had crap on the inside and I was afraid to clean it because of the defrost-wire-thingies.

Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

I don't believe everything I see on movies! I guess you couldn't tell the humor of it when I stated that comment. It was just funny we were debating about the newspaper cleaning windshields and I finally saw the movie. I just had to mention it
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

I guess I missed the humor, but I havent seen the movie. I figured you were referring to some guy who looked like he fell into a tub of used motor oil after using newspaper to clean his windows

I don't believe everything I see on movies! I guess you couldn't tell the humor of it when I stated that comment. It was just funny we were debating about the newspaper cleaning windshields and I finally saw the movie. I just had to mention it
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

Nah, go see the movie!
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

What does amonia have to do with the front windshield. I think I have only seen 1 car that had the front windshield tinted in my entire lifetime.

He was asking about the front so I think it's safe to assume there is no tint on it. So why isn't it ok to use windex on the front windshield????

I would never wash my DIRTY **** sedan w/o soap...I wish it stayed that clean....LOL Water and a terry towel will bring tinted windows perfectly clean though...
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

Sorry but I just rather have one bottle to clean all of my windows in my car instead of multiple. And if you have an eyebrow, that is also considered tint. Of course, tinting of the entire windshield is illegal but I have seen many people with it done.

I agree though that soap and water does a lot more than most people think. Do what you want.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

All you need to clean tinted windows is water. Well, water and a terry towel.

And yes, I know about the strips, but why clean them. A strip on the windshield should be so dark that a little dirt isn't going to be seen. In any event, I haven't found anything that is safe for tint that cuts through the grime like windex.

Quit wasting money and use water and a towel on your tint!
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

ssmshortie will become famous soon enough
so any product is good except windex ok

aim: civicdriverVA
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

CIVICMAN67 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use the window cleaner wipes in the can, I think Armorall (spell?) makes it. I like those because nothing drips on my dash.
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

oldskool is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a min squeegee and class cleaner but i still get streaks....after a while it builds up. Just thought i would post some un usefull information
Old 07-18-2003
Banned

skaterboy is an unknown quantity at this point
glass cleaner will be good...
Old 07-20-2003
cool beans

zinkyroo is an unknown quantity at this point
I use newspaper all the time....works great
Old 07-20-2003
Mr. Negative

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
There is a Windex Automotive cleaner for windows. I use that with a microfiber towel or newspaper, whatever I have is convienent, whereever I am.

Quick Reply: How do I clean the inside of my windshield?