Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Orange flakes

Old 03-25-2003
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Orange flakes

I washed my car the other day and ran my hand along the paint and all I could feel were little bumps. After a closer inspection, I noticed they were orangey metal flakes. Some people have told me it's from driving over train tracks and picking up the brake dust that trains leave on the rail.
My question is, how the hell do I clean this **** off? Normal washing doesn't get rid of it but if I sat there for 90 hours, I could probably pick them all off.
Old 03-25-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
clay-bar would work
Old 03-25-2003

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
will it scratch the surface? Rubbing those metal brake dust flakes with a clay bar doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 03-28-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
No. Wash the car with soap and water and hose the car off....Then rip a piece of the clay bar off and roll it into a ball and then flatten it down into the palm of your hand. Grab the soap sponge and go over a panel at a time on the car, then procede to rub the clay over that panel in a back and forth motion, until you can feel the dirt anymore. After you do the whole car, hose it off and re soap the car down to remove what the clay left behind. hose car down and dry.
Then wax.
Old 03-28-2003

Sweet man.. thanks a lot!

BTW... what clay bar do you recommend?