Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Choosing orbital buffers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002
The Standard One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
Choosing orbital buffers

i'm thinking about getting one.. just wondering what i should look out for. whats the difference between $25 ones and $200 ones? i mainly want it to use my swirlmark remover. it takes me forever if i do it by hand. but ya i saw an ad for a turtle wax random orbital buffer for $25, not sure if i should get it tho.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheap buffers typically suck. My friend's got one that basically loses all power as soon as he touches it to the car, making it completely ineffective. Basically you want one with a pad that's a decent size, but not toooo big. My 9 5/8" buffer can't get in all the places that my 7" can, but it makes quicker work of the large open areas (hood, roof, etc). Get a reputable brand. If you're looking for the last buffer you'll ever buy, get a DeWalt. Meguiars also sells one under their name that is just a rebadged DeWalt. My Craftsman (that I got on sale for $50 a few years ago) has been running beautifully, and I recommend it.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: VNlilMAN
i'm thinking about getting one.. just wondering what i should look out for. whats the difference between $25 ones and $200 ones? i mainly want it to use my swirlmark remover. it takes me forever if i do it by hand. but ya i saw an ad for a turtle wax random orbital buffer for $25, not sure if i should get it tho.[hr]
Yeah, the Walmart ones won't work well...if you are gonna buy one, save up some money and go professional: get a top of the line one!

2Hottie
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd look in the meguiars (sp?) line. buffers are very dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced - so I have heard..LOL

They supposedly have one that oscilates and helps to prevent amateurs ( I know, I'm a pro too) from creating swirl marks and burning the paint. I think it is around $200 or so but if you are going to have for 10-15 yrs....
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
That's an orbital buffer - the amateur one. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] A normal buffer or rotary buffer is definitely pro's only, at the very least it will leave you with deep swirls using some products, at worse it'll be nice and shiny... because the sheetmetal from underneath will be shining though.
Old 11-09-2002
n00b
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

aetobatus is an unknown quantity at this point
got mine at walmart for $25.. It's called shock absorption buffer but it still vibrates like crazy when i use it. I'm not sure if they are suppose to be like this but if they are, id rather hand polish/wax

go for the expensive one if you plan on using it for a looooooong time
Old 11-09-2002
The Standard One

the whole thing vibrates? its not that bad is it? cause ya its hard using swirl mark remover by hand.
Old 11-10-2002
n00b
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

aetobatus is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah.. well I've never tried any other buffer before so I don't know if the vibration is normal.. But I would not encourage anyone to get the one ive gotten. It's seriously bad. I'll post a pic of how the box look like tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
far be it for me to not add any useful information here, but what about choosing orbital buffers betwe nyoru left and right arm?

part of the great detailing EXPERIENCE is the fun of sitting there for HOURS just giving your car a hand job! what is the joy of having a beutiful car if you didnt put teh time and effort into putting each and every shine you see there by hand?

when i first got my car, i was all about teh electric buffer. but now i see the light [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] its not in the having, its in the getting! your SUPPOSED to have teh PREVILEDGE of hand buffing the **** out of yoru car to get that extra shine that makes you just that much more ballin when you go cruising!

or am i a dying breed......
Old 11-18-2002
The Standard One

polishing/waxing by hand isnt a really big deal. but its just using the swirl mark remover...
i dont know if you've ever tried it on a black car. you have to rub the same spot over n over for like 10-15 mins. i'll do 1/3 of the trunk lid and i'll be tired. n that alone will take me like 30 mins of constant rubbing... not very fun, i usually end up giving up. and plus i have to polish/wax afterwards too.