Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

overwaxing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touwseew is an unknown quantity at this point
overwaxing

i heard that you shouldn't wax your car like more than 4 times a year. why is that? what affect on your paint will it have if you wax more often, like once a month?
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Not true.

Wax builds a protective layer over your car's paint. Many things remove your wax. Sun, dirt, some detergents, and rain.

I have had many show cars and waxed them each show. In fact one I waxed once a week. It never hurt the paint, in fact the car looked awesome and did not have any swirl marks in the paint.
Old 09-12-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Wax away dude, I've never heard of too much wax. Now if you don't wax it.... well, that's another story. I've always done mine every 6-8 weeks and I've never had a problem.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
We have clear coat on our paint, as long as you use a clear coat polish you can do it once a week if you like. I use Meguiars Gold liquid once a month. BTW this should be posted in "Detailing"
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Blckcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i wax my car almost every other weekend
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

JoeyCrack is an unknown quantity at this point
I wax mine at least once a month sometimes twice......
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
It shouldn't be an issue unless you are using a "cleaner" type wax. The cleaners are slightly abravsive and excessive use would really start to wear on the clearcoat. I use meg's gold whenever I have time to wax the car. It won't be long before it will be time to do the fall cleaning and get her ready for winter. I don't wax during the winter time. NuFinish for the winter and meg's gold once a month in the spring and summer.

Oh, and as Solar said, "this should be posted in the Detailing" forum.
Old 09-12-2002
Registered!!

vdub is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never had any problems with waxing alot,but I did work at a bodyshop. Alot of thous guys say wax is bad because you paint needs to breath. I'm not sure what the deal with that is,but I don't know anyone who's had problems with to much wax.
Old 09-14-2002
Registered!!

deathor is an unknown quantity at this point
When too much wax builds up, dishwashing detergent will remove all of it; but be sure to wax it afterwards or the paint will be unprotected.
Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

Intermezzo is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: vdub
I've never had any problems with waxing alot,but I did work at a bodyshop. Alot of thous guys say wax is bad because you paint needs to breath. I'm not sure what the deal with that is,but I don't know anyone who's had problems with to much wax.[hr]
Modern polyurethane 2K paints don't breathe. The only time you should avoid waxing for a while is when you've recently had some body-work done on your car AND the bodyshop used a paint containing solvents which need to 'out-gas' or evaporate. For this situation, one should use a body-shop safe glaze (IHG, Meguiars #7).

Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

4g63turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Waxing a car so often seems to me to be a waste of money...if you wax your car about every two months the shine will stick...the only problem with waxing so much is that everytime you look at your car it will look dirty...
Old 09-19-2002
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
eh? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] I wax my car almost every other week, and even when it's got a little dirt on it, the paint still shines like glass! And that's with a 97 coupe, so it's seen some years to it.

Waste of money? Nothing's too good for my baby!