What car wax do you use? - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2006   #1
Registered!!

classact307 is an unknown quantity at this point
What car wax do you use?

Im just curious what brand of wax / polish people are using. If you can link a pic of your car all freshly cleaned. I would post one but my camera isn't working.
classact307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #2
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
best stuff i've used after trying a bunch of different products. meguiar's #7 show car glaze followed by turtle wax ultra gloss. very shiny for silver, and i need to polish again this year. i'll prolly use a paint cleaner before doing the polish and wax

Last edited by gearbox; 06-12-2006 at 01:09 AM.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #3
I Pinch.

Sinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of light
Zymol Carbon. I started off with Mother's Glaze(Not sure the exact name) and then finished off with the Zymol Carbon.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...2-b6bff4c7c4c1

I REALLY need to get those paint swirls off. The pin stripe also.
Sinisterdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #4
Registered!!

classact307 is an unknown quantity at this point
Now thats shinny ^^^^
classact307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #5
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ha its cause i wash my car every day almost lol
Old 06-12-2006   #6
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
Rain Dance wax, discontinued, but the best value/shine/protection for the 6 dollars per bottle. I picked up a few bottles before they went out, I wax once a year so it should last me a while.
ashtonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #7
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
-wolfgang swirl remover used with PCDA orange pad
-meguirars number 3 machine glaze used with grey pad
-wolfgang sealant followed with a coat of mothers pure carnuba, both applied -with grey pad
-about to put a coat of mothers advanced top coat either tomarrow or wensday, depends on weather
jackburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #8
Premium Member

i still gotta try the clay again i got very frustrated last year. or maybe just some paint cleaner, then glaze and wax.
Old 06-12-2006   #9
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
What happened last time you used the claybar gear?

BTW, I use Turtle wax platium series ultra gloss.
DDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #10
Registered!!

pizzapizza is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox
i still gotta try the clay again i got very frustrated last year. or maybe just some paint cleaner, then glaze and wax.
definitely recommend to clay the car. you'll notice the difference right away espeially if you have a lot of tree sap, bug **** or road tar on the paint. you may want to use a good quality dish soap if you don't care about the old wax jobs. since it really removes everything, but also when you do this, it removes all the wax and polish you spent time applying already. if you care about it, then use a good car wash detergent. the only difference i found was the dish detergent really does a better job removing oil and tar since that's what it's designed for. the problem is it removes too much.

at the beginning of the year after all the spring washing, i clay the car once, then i use mother's cleaner wax twice, mother's sealer'n'glaze (2 or 3 times), then about 3 or 4 coats of liquid glass (usually over a period of 2 or 3 weeks).

i follow up every 3 or 4 weeks with a coat of sealer/glaze and liquid glass polish. yeah, it's a lot of work. anywhere from an hour to 90 minutes depending on how much i want to buff.

i'm starting to run out of liquid glass and it's really hard to get in toronto and expensive to ship the stuff here. i may start trying the new meguiar's nanotech polish soon once i run out of the liquid glass.
pizzapizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #11
Registered!!

ohioex is an unknown quantity at this point
For monthly use I just use ICE, process doesnt take long at all, it just doesnt buff. For shows I like the Meguiars 3-step
ohioex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #12
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Last edited by phuviano; 06-13-2006 at 01:45 AM.
phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #13
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax paste, i would show a picture but geocities isnt letting me log in to upload. The stuff is awesome. When n i bought the car it had all kinds of swirls and crap. after this stuff all of that was gone. The color is so much deeper too.

sniperscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #14
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I wish I had a digital camera. Maybe I can barrow my sisters after I put the third coat on.

Gearbox, it is very frustrating to clay. I did not plan on rewashing because I was polishing so I tried to keep the paint mildly clean. It is a pain because you have to wipe up the detailer as you go along. It takes forever.

Another way to do it is to not even dry your car after you wash it and not even bother wiping away the detailer. You just let it dry, and when you are finished claying you rewash. I would recmend the wolfgang swirl remover. It can be used on different pads, it is designed to do that. Also I was about to wax after using only the swirl remover with the orange pad because the finish was pretty much perfect. It is also really easy to use, a lot easier than megiuars machine glaze.

If you plan to fail and fail you fail, you succeed and fail at the same time. You succeeded in your plan, but failed at what ever you wree doing. It would depend on which ever one is more important, and that would determine your overall failure or succesfulness.
Old 06-13-2006   #15
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light
that is an interesting answer to my question. but did you fail at what you were planning on failing to or did you succeed in the task. cause if you succeeded in the task, you failed at failing, and that means you just suck.

Last edited by sniperscout; 06-13-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2006   #16
Registered!!

If you failed at you plan then you succeded in the task, so once again you did both. And once again depending on which is more important, you either failed or succeeded overall. Yeah but if your failed at failing you would suck the big one.

You should read some of the paradoxes on wikipedia, pretty interesting.
Old 06-13-2006   #17
You VTEC...I-VTEC

i will have to check them out. i like to think that i made that one up.
Old 06-13-2006   #18
Registered!!

LOL that is not a paradox
its close
Old 06-13-2006   #19
Registered!!

Black04ex will become famous soon enoughBlack04ex will become famous soon enough
Not very good photos of the reflection but I used pinnacle clay, optimum polish, clearkoat vanilla moose, pinnancle souveran paste wax, topped with poorboys ex-p sealant. Next time ill opt for a coat of poorboys natty blue paste before the sealant. Honda clear coat is very soft, if you decide to polish, start with something a little less aggressive. My favorite wax is megiuars professional series hi-tech yellow wax, its cheap and can be found many places. All the products I used on my car had to be ordered online.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...91017155WHQzpP
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...91017155XwSjUw
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...91017155QNvlMj
Black04ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #20
Premium Member

nice to see there are some cars that people care about. i thought i was the only crazy one who likes a clean car.
Old 06-14-2006   #21

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
^^ You know thats not true! Im all about Meguiars #7 show car glaze followed by two coats of NXT liquid wax.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #22

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
If you properly maintain it with a good soap and use a quick detailer regularly, 2-3 times per year should be just fine. You need to make sure you do it at least once before winter, and once before summer.
Old 06-14-2006   #23
Premium Member

yea i only glaze once a year and wax every 3-4 months.
Old 06-14-2006   #24
Registered!!

Black04ex will become famous soon enoughBlack04ex will become famous soon enough
NXT is a dust magnet but does provide a nice shine. It would be fine if my car were silver and you didn't see dust.
Black04ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #25

I have never had any problems with NXT and dust. My garage is full of woodworking equipment and wood, and no problems to this point.
Old 06-14-2006   #26
Sam18

I never wax my car personally. I get it detailed once every 6 months or so, they wax it for me.
They use meguirs but not sure which exact one.
Old 06-14-2006   #27
Premium Member

i used nxt for a while but it seems to maybe last a month if that. not very good. turtle wax looks better and lasts longer so i stick with it. im not saying meguiars is bad, i got 10 other products from them.
Old 06-14-2006   #28
Registered!!

areem57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Meguiars
areem57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #29
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
i use Mother's Turlt Wax, and Meguir's. Mother's and TurtleWax seem to do best!
burke420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #30
Registered!!

The wolfgang sealant i used is quite good, and it an be used on anything that is metal or plastic too. Works great on knives, tools, etc.
I may have already said this, but it is worth the high price of $30 a bottle.