Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

I clayed my car and it looks like crap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrb420 is an unknown quantity at this point
I clayed my car and it looks like crap!

Ok, so I washed my car. Dried my car. Then I got out the clay bar and clayed my whole car. Then I rinsed it down with hight pressure soap and rinse. Then I dried it again.
#1, the clay did nothing for the water spots all over my car.
#2, now my car has this clay or wax looking material all over it. Nothing seems to get it off the car. I have used good old fashion elbow grease, quick detailer, windex; the only thing I haven't done is wash the car all over again.

What did I do wrong?
Will having it completly washed again remove the clay/wax material? If that is what it is?
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
did you use the "lubercant" that came with the clay bar? you're supposed to spray something like 'spray wax' on the surface FIRST then use the clay bar on the surface. then you're supposed to dry it off with a towel. afterwards, you're supposed to use cleaner wax, followed by sealant wax. are you sure you read the directions? what brand clay bar did you use?
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

I used the Meguiar's Quik Clay kit. I sprayed the Quik Detailer on the surface and then went over it with the clay.
It doesn't mention anything about "cleaner wax" Only rhat after claying, rinsing and drying, you shoudl polish and wax for best finish.
I didn't wax do to the fact that there is material that is still present on the car.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
It look like you were just using the pressure washer, which im my opion doesnt clean every well. It will never be as clean as using a wash mitt or something to rub it. And you have to dry it with a towel and not sun dried, if that is the problem to the water spots, or maybe the water in your area is very hard, using some type of mineral filter system might help.
Old 05-29-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
No offence but you have to have used the clay bar wrong. There is no possible way you can get clay stuck on your car if you did it right.... claybars get everything off... and I mean everything. I've gotten cement and surface rust particles off my car using a clay bar (Mothers).
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

sltuner88 is just really nicesltuner88 is just really nicesltuner88 is just really nicesltuner88 is just really nice
did you make sure you sprayed over a good amount of area (patricualrly one that you are claying) , just simple lubrication is all you need. and while your claying no need for much pressure (possibly pressed too hard) thats the only way i can think the clay bar must have left some of it...??
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
you didnt go cheap with the lubricant did you? i know those kits come with a small *** bottle of lube...... but its importent to use a lot of lube to avoid getting clay into the paint. when i bought a clay bar kit, it came with a tiny bottle of lube that barely had enough for half a car....
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
wash, rinse, dry, and clay (properly), paint cleaner, polish and then wax. If i was in your area i'd meet up and show ya how nice claying is. My friends sistter just bought a 03 ES1 SSM and my paint looks better than hers and she bought from the dealer. But i hooked her up
Old 05-29-2006
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL @ the title.
Old 05-29-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
haha same happened to me but i was smart enough to stop after doing a tiny section. try a microfiber towel to wipe the clay off. its stupid.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
First time I tried claybar, last week on my dad's corolla, it looks amazing, it was alot of work but it was worth it. Gonna do mines before fall or next year in spring.
Old 05-30-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
you need to clay it correctly to get the clay off. spray a good amount to the quick detailer stuff over a SMALL area and LIGHTLY glide the clay bar over the area. if it sticks then you have either used too little of the quick detailer or you are pressing too hard.
Old 05-30-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by djmota
if it sticks then you have either used too little of the quick detailer or you are pressing too hard.
Or the surface is too hot. Make sure its cool to the touch.
Old 05-30-2006
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
you can use soapy water with the clay too, i used that with clay magic. It works like a charm.
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

Well, I found a professional who will do:
1. acid bath
2. full wash
3. polish and wax
He says this will remove the water spots and clay residue.

Does this sound like a good deal?
Old 05-30-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
that acid bath doesnt sound too good hmm
Old 05-30-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, what the hell is an acid wash? Sounds like it can't be too good. You might want to find out more before he does anything.
Old 05-30-2006
Premium Member

now i dont feel bad since you dont know either. okay normally an acid bath is used on metal as an early step before anodizing. now i'm gonna take a guess here and say that he meant it as a paint treatment for acid rain damage, like water spots. and that its some sort of neurtalization compound or something.
Old 05-30-2006

^^ But don't you know everything? I was concerned when you didnt know. lol. If thats thats what its intended to do, then he can just pick up Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner. Its a chemical cleaner that has no abrasives and its very easy to use. That will remove any deposits on the paint like hard water spots and air pollutants.. Still, clay bar is the easiest, but apparently that didnt work out so well.

Originally Posted by mrb420
Well, I found a professional who will do:
1. acid bath
2. full wash
3. polish and wax
He says this will remove the water spots and clay residue.

Does this sound like a good deal?

Whats he looking to charge you for this? What type of products does he use?

Last edited by soonercivic; 05-30-2006 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-30-2006
Premium Member

if there is any more mention of the word acid, i would opt out just pick up the meguiars paint cleaner. i used it on my friends 05 black civic that had not been touched in over a year and literally had bugs that were fossilized in the paint. it took off everything and left the paint nice and clean for wax.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by soonercivic
just pick up Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner. Its a chemical cleaner that has no abrasives and its very easy to use.
actually, it does contain light diminishing abrasives. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...+paint+cleaner
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
how to use clay
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=14
Old 06-01-2006

Originally Posted by rckdrmr
actually, it does contain light diminishing abrasives. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...+paint+cleaner
Ol Mike Phillips there misinformed me then. Good to know though. I always wondered how they got a chemical cleaner to remove swirls. lol
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pizzapizza is an unknown quantity at this point
cleaning the paint with a clay bar is only one step. you've only prepare the surface for the next step. you'll have to use a cleaner wax to remove any residue from the claying part. then use a sealer/glaze to remove any swirl marks. finally, you will have to use a good wax or polish to keep the shine an finish.

after you've clayed the car, it basically has little protection from the environment. you should really start the next steps asap to prevent more harm to the finish.
Old 06-03-2006
Premium Member

ya good info.
Old 06-03-2006

Originally Posted by pizzapizza
cleaning the paint with a clay bar is only one step. you've only prepare the surface for the next step. you'll have to use a cleaner wax to remove any residue from the claying part. then use a sealer/glaze to remove any swirl marks. finally, you will have to use a good wax or polish to keep the shine an finish.

after you've clayed the car, it basically has little protection from the environment. you should really start the next steps asap to prevent more harm to the finish.
True, a clay bar is only the first step, however any clay residue should be removed by the second wash and that should only be the extra lubricant on the surface. The cleaner wax, or preferrably a paint cleaner that does not double as a wax, is intended to remove defects in the surface. If you use it to remove ANY residue/contaminates on the surface you are only going to rub the residue/contaminates around and cause more defects. It can be done, and will need to be repeated in order to remove defects and therefore doubling your work, but clay barring is the preferred method. Then you will need to follow it up with a good polish AND wax. If you only choose a polish, then you are not providing any surface protection. If you choose only a wax, then you will be robbing the paint of its natural oils and increase the risk of clearcoat failure or premature fading. And in fact, once you have clayed the car, you have zero protection from anything. The idea behind the clay bar is that it takes the paint back to a bare surface, so you are right in advising him to take the next steps asap.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

The acid bath was a success.
The guy did the acid bath, followed by a wash with a clay bar, then he waxed and polished it. Finally, he detailed the inside.
All for $70. It took like 4 hrs.
Well worth the money.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
we need pics mang!!
Old 06-04-2006

Glad it worked. Definetly need pics. May I ask what the point of the acid bath was if he was going to clay bar it anyway?
Old 06-05-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by mrb420
The acid bath was a success.
The guy did the acid bath, followed by a wash with a clay bar, then he waxed and polished it. Finally, he detailed the inside.
All for $70. It took like 4 hrs.
Well worth the money.
Yeah, I have my car clayed and detailed every six months for $75. Well worth it to watch someone ELSE work. They come and wash the car every other week for $25.

I pay it because I A) have no time, B) am lazy, C) the car always looks NEW, and D) it's a business expense come tax time.

My 02 still looks like fresh off the lot. Inside and out. It even still has a little of that new car smell.... mmmmmmmm....

Always amazed at how smooth the car is after clay and wax. It's almost sensual...

Quick Reply: I clayed my car and it looks like crap!