Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Fogging Under the Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Fogging Under the Bra

Well I took my bra off and was going to wax it and the paint is fogged in a couple places. I was wondering if there is anything a person can do? Or am I stuck with it and have to get a re paint? I know now I should have got a clear coat film put over where the bra should have gone, anyone out there had the coat done and if it works all right?

Thanks,

Nick [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

phenomenon02 is an unknown quantity at this point
well, the only thing i can suggest, this is what i do, i have a half mask. take the bra off and clean it everytime the car gets cleaned. wash and wax that part of the hood very well. try to get the bra as tight as possible. did u put a wet mask on the car and then let it get hot? its much similar to steam in a pan. just leave the bra off for a while and see what happens. some places see a wash especially made for masks, i cant find it though. i just hand wash mine really good and then let it air dry. don't let debris , such as leaves, get under the bra, it will elave like a fossilized imprint in the hood with all that heat and steam that might be there, best of luck anyways!
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply yeah once I saw the fogging of the paint I started taking the top piece of the bra off the half bra. But yeah I had it for awhile and didn't bother taking any parts of the bra off, I have the full bra. But yeah hate rock chips or I wouldn't have it at all. Plus in AZ its all sand and rock and lots and lots of sun so I know that the paint will not match after having a bra on. Thank goodness I don't plan on keeping this civic more than 3 years.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
my bug deflector covers the same area as a half bra and it looks better and doesnt damage paint like a bra does... might wanna look into getting something like that on ur car?
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
you're supposed to take off your bra everytime you wash your car. and a coat of wax on the front end once a month would help. You could try a orbital buffer to bring the paint back, but wouldn't recommend it unless you've done it before. Any detailer should be able to bring your paint back to new if those spots don't go away.
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

Wow once a mth waxing under it, I never knew that but it seems like a good idea I will start doing that. Yeah I am going to give a few more months around summer maybe once I get some money flow again since I am unemployed still, get the ride into a detailer or something. Ever seen those clear coats they put where the bra is? Do those work all right? Think Solar Gard does them?

Thanks
Nick
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

yeah those clear plastic covers that go on the hood work good. I think it's like shrink wrap but harder. That's the best thing there, but dealership wants too much to do it. But then again, with a bra, you can always take it off in a flash, but ya can't with the clear cover. It's all about convenience i guess.
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
first off bras and the bug deflectors are not good, traps water and moisture which means rust buildup later on....
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

Yeah I hear ya on the trapping moisture, but with living down in Arizona right now it hasn't rained since like early december so taking the bra off to wash it isn't too bad. Now if I lived in my old state of Oregon now I would not have a bra since it rains so much. My dad has a bra on his car up there and he hasn't taken it off yet and he has 10K miles on his car now hate to see his spots. Any ideas on anything a person can use besides like a bra that will protect the paint from getting chips?

Nick
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

bras are good, better than nothing as with bug deflectors. The problem is if you mount it loosely or incorrectly or don't properly clean area before putting it on. Then you have to maintain it, ie-removing when washing and etc. It will only rust if you never take off bra or wash it with bra on. Sounds like someone didn't do that.
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
some people have some misconceptions of bug deflectors...

my black bug deflector doesn't touch the paint -- at all. it's mounted on the underside of the hood and wraps around up from there... it has a few little 'stands' to keep it from sitting on the paint.... when i wash my car, i can slide a washcloth right into it... it doesn't trap moisture. granted, to get a good wax job going in there, im gonna have to take it off, but there isn't any way that thing traps moisture.