Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

The Absorber

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
The Absorber

i heard lots of praise for this drying cloth. however, i don't know where you guys get these. i've searched the walmart, kmart, and target online stores and also the online auto stores such as kragen, napa, and autozone.

i even did a "title" search on this whole forum and the last threads about this product are long old and expired (btw, why do threads expire?)

so i was wondering, where do you get this nice product?

i was reading the DIY section and it said the only two cloths you should ever use for you car are the
1) absorber
2) microfiber (does it have to be waffle weave?)
now do we need just one of them or both? i'm guessing the absorber is for drying and the microfiber is for buffing.

i was planning to wash my car and since it hasn't been waxed in a long time, i would strip any remaining wax with Dawn liquid dish soap and then immediately wax it afterwards.

however, i'm still doing research on car wax. i plan on doing the waxing in stages so i might look into meguiars or mothers. any specific products?

thanks guys and sorry for the long post
Old 02-04-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
just use a silicon wiper blade thing to get off most of the water and then microfiber to get the rest.

take it to a car wash and use their soap to strip wax. then dry it off bring it home and goto work. you can glaze/polish it first with meguiar's #7 show car glaze then after thats done put wax over it. Turtle wax ultra gloss really makes a good difference in shine even tho for the most part its the glaze that makes the paint look better. wax just seals it in.
Old 02-04-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Either of these towels will absorb a s*** load of water. I have them both.
http://meguiars.com/?car-drying-tool...t-Drying-Towel
http://meguiars.com/?car-drying-tool...e-Drying-Towel
Old 02-04-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
don't even bother buying the absorber. its a joke. i tried it once and put it back in the damn tube it comes in and took it back to wal-mart. its like a synthetic chamois cloth, that comes pre-moistened. its garbage. wet-non-stain-resistant-garbage.
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

the hardest part of cleaning a car is drying it. there's always water spots!
Old 02-04-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
if you want to go the cheap, yet efficient route, get EAGLE 1 WAX-As-YOU-DRY.

that will let you finish rinsing off the car then with a couple of towels jsut spray a little bit and wipe it clean and dry. no spots.
Old 02-04-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i keep saying just get the silicon wiper. i dry my car in a couple minutes. its the easiest part of washing for me. then wherever there are some leftover droplets, dry it with a microfiber towel.
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

gearbox, are you referring to windshield wiper blades? or some giant squeegee (sp?) for the chassis?

thanks man
Old 02-04-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
The California Water Blade works, then i used "The Absorber" you can find it at Autozone or Advance Auto. Water Blade makes quick work of the top of your hood, roof, and trunk lid. Then just use the Absorber to do the rest of the car, also, take a blower and blow the water out of the cracks and grille so that when you drive your car the don't blow all over you car and get water spots all over your car.
Old 02-04-2006
Premium Member

sometimes if i have to, i just get on the freeway and blow all the water off going 75+mph. if cop pulls me over, i just say i'm drying my car. it only works if your paint is waxed cause the water beads up and rolls off. then when i get home i wipe the rest of the water with a cloth. i only do that in the winter.
Old 02-04-2006

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
/\ lol, thats funny, i've done that before, just because my damn blower was at my friends house. I hate when the water sits in the grille and cause little water spots, the shopvac or blower does wonders.
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
LoL, but wouldnt micro dust/dirt stick on your car when your driving it to dry, and when your wiping it after, that would scratch your paint.
Old 02-04-2006

no, microfiber towels take the dust off and wipe it down, thats why you take a california duster to lift the dust and dirt off, and not just taking the dirt and moving it around your car.
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

kismylx will become famous soon enough
Smile

the absorber sucks I wouldn't ever buy that garbage again. I have a real good chamois for drying the car its the best http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1003&SKU=11005
Old 02-04-2006
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
i have many different waffle weaves and they are to blot and pick up most of the water, and then i follow up the a quick detailer and a microfiber towel to get any leftover water spots, etc... for something otc, go to wal-mart and pick up the large blue microtex microfiber drying towel or vroom brand from target, they're are pretty nice and you won't have to wring it out once in my experience. the *key* before drying though, is to sheet as much water off the car with just the hose.
Old 02-05-2006
Registered!!

so there's a California brand for detailing? i read something about California water blades and microfiber towels?

sorry i'm confused
Old 02-05-2006
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
with the water blades, you have to be very careful. if there is any dirt that attaches to it (if you missed a spot while washing), you will have dirt particles on your water blade, thus dragging & scratching across your finish!
Old 02-05-2006
Registered!!

fieryhill is an unknown quantity at this point
I just use a chamois then a microfiber towel.
Old 02-05-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by drew22mader
no, microfiber towels take the dust off and wipe it down, thats why you take a california duster to lift the dust and dirt off, and not just taking the dirt and moving it around your car.
Sorry, but never used that duster, but doesnt that also moves the dirt/dust around?
Old 02-06-2006

No, thats why its so great. ALOT of people use it and claim it works great without scratching the car at all, i use it on my car all the time and nothing to my car has been done yet.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

Hmm, I think I might give it a try in the summer.
Old 02-06-2006
Lost in the Matrix

Transformer_Guy is on a distinguished road
I've used my absorber for about a year and I find it works very well (a lot better than the sheepskin chamoise). I bought mine from Canadian Tire but I guess you wouldnt have that down there. I would definitly recomend it
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Transformer_Guy
I've used my absorber for about a year and I find it works very well (a lot better than the sheepskin chamoise). I bought mine from Canadian Tire but I guess you wouldnt have that down there. I would definitly recomend it
Me too! I've been using it for 2 years now. I bought my absorber from canadian tire too and it works well on me. I can dry my car in under 3 minutes using it.
Old 02-07-2006

So have i, i love it, i have 2 of them. They work great and do what their title states. ABSORBS
Old 02-07-2006
Lost in the Matrix

Have you guys tried putting it in the washing machine and did you use laundry detergent when doing so? I havnt and I just wash it out with warm water but i want to clean it well
Old 02-07-2006

I have never washed my absorber, if it becomes to bad just throw it away and buy a new one, but for 2 years now mine stays pretty damn clean.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Transformer_Guy
Have you guys tried putting it in the washing machine and did you use laundry detergent when doing so? I havnt and I just wash it out with warm water but i want to clean it well
I wouldn't wash it in a washing machine. What I do is just keep it moist with warm water. If you get it stained use an old toothbrush and detergent to remove the stain off.
Old 02-07-2006
Lost in the Matrix

Alrighty, thanks guys. Just wondering cuz on my label, it says to throw it in the washing machine and just wanted to know how many people actually did this
Old 02-07-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by shroomster
don't even bother buying the absorber. its a joke. i tried it once and put it back in the damn tube it comes in and took it back to wal-mart. its like a synthetic chamois cloth, that comes pre-moistened. its garbage. wet-non-stain-resistant-garbage.

alot of people do that. its actually very good. it needs to be broken in. I have owned 2. it takes about 3 or 4 washes to until it starts to work good. after that it just gets better. pull it back out of the tube.
Old 02-07-2006
Lost in the Matrix

Mine started working right away...

Quick Reply: The Absorber