Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

drill bit attachment to clean headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
drill bit attachment to clean headlights

I saw on speed channel some kind of plastic headlight cleaner that is supposed to remove the yellow buildup on the housing... It looked like a 8 step process but it actually worked and removed nearly all the yello and made the housing look like brand new...you don't even have to take them off just do it on the car...anyone have any info on this or know of a similar product or the one I'm thinking of...cuz I cant remember the name
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
I would tell you an effective way to do it, but you would think im talking chinese. Plus you need a buffer/skills. and pads + the materials.
Old 09-08-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
lost of people sell chemical cleaners and multistep products that claim to remove yellow and pitting. Ive tried many different brands and had the best results with Meguiars PlasticX. The other tend to wear off overtime, but PlasticX is an actual abrasive and polish so it really removes the yellowing and pits. The drill bit attachment that you mention in the topic sounds like the Mothers powerball thing. I havent used it but i hear it works well on wheels.
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by soonercivic
lost of people sell chemical cleaners and multistep products that claim to remove yellow and pitting. Ive tried many different brands and had the best results with Meguiars PlasticX. The other tend to wear off overtime, but PlasticX is an actual abrasive and polish so it really removes the yellowing and pits. The drill bit attachment that you mention in the topic sounds like the Mothers powerball thing. I havent used it but i hear it works well on wheels.
GREAT ADVICE!!!
"I urge you: do your absolute second best. Give it almost everything you've got. Let this be your penultimate moment. Go for the silver!"
Old 09-09-2005
Boosted 04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nicejoshb_ is just really nice
I used wet sand paper and then a bufffing wheel and it worked wonders for taking minor scratches out of the light and any imperfections.
Old 09-09-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by joshb_
I used wet sand paper and then a bufffing wheel and it worked wonders for taking minor scratches out of the light and any imperfections.
that would occasionally work for headlights, but you could cause some marring depending on your skill level.

Last edited by soonercivic; 09-09-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
That will only work if you have painted wheels. Also, you probably got kinda lucky because even if your wheels are painted, its not the same as removing a defect from the body paint.

umm you mean headlights right? cuz I'm not talking about cleaning my wheels...sorry...
Old 09-09-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
That will only work if you have painted wheels. Also, you probably got kinda lucky because even if your wheels are painted, its not the same as removing a defect from the body paint.
Old 09-09-2005

Originally Posted by Shroomster
umm you mean headlights right? cuz I'm not talking about cleaning my wheels...sorry...
my bad, i had wheels on the brain from another convo. post edited.
Old 09-09-2005

my bad, i had wheels on the brain from another convo. post edited.
thanks for the info on the edited one....all in al I'll probably try the meguiar's plastiX when I get my paycheck....wipe on wipe off wax on wax off simple as that right? if so my lights will be clear again in no time if all else fails I'll have to lookinto getting some new headlights
Old 09-10-2005

you will need to work it since it is abrasive and it will break down into a polish. it may take a few applications but it did wonders on my girlfriends car and many other clear plastics ive used it on. If you use a terrycloth applicator you will get more "bite" out of the abrasives.