Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

How often?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005
Se7enCyrus Racing/Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
How often?

Okay, I have to get a precise and 100% answer. How many times should u wax a car??? I have heard once a month to 2 times a year? People say it strips the paint, etc. Im not to smart on this subject, plz help.
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...?threadid=6825
Old 07-26-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
^Damn, you beat me to it! I wax twice a year. Once for winter and once for summer.
Old 07-26-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
which reminds me i need to wax again, im prolly behind a wax too, o well im still only waxing once.
Old 07-26-2005

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
so it is 2 times a year???? I got peeps telling me once a month
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
at least twice a year is recommended, but surface preparation is key. that squeak test is a good indication when protection is wearing off.
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
Depends on kind of "wax," weather conditions, purpose for waxing, etc. Regular wax like carnauba only lasts about 2-3 weeks. Some kinds of liquid waxes have acrylic or other chemical sealants that can last up to 6 months. In harsher climates (very hot and/or humid) this wear time may be reduced considerably. Finally, many detailing enthusiasts use an acrylic or silicon based sealant for long term protection but top this with a carnauba wax for added depth, glow or pop. Check autopia.org. And Ojay is right, surface prep is key.
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
don't just wax......

-clay until smooth
-buff with machine to remove swirl and light scratch
-polishhhhh....
-wax1,wax2,wax3.....
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

Blkbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SevenCyrus
Okay, I have to get a precise and 100% answer. How many times should u wax a car??? I have heard once a month to 2 times a year? People say it strips the paint, etc. Im not to smart on this subject, plz help.
You see there is no 100% precise answer to the question .... "How often should I wax my personal car?" That about like asking ... "When should I take a shower and how often should I wash my clothes?". The answer on showering, would of course depend on what you do, and how dirty, sweaty or smelly you get doing it. And how often you washed your clothes would depends on how many changes of clothes you had and how often you wanted to wear certain things, clean vs dirty.

When it comes to cars it's really going to depend on how much work you want to put into your cars look, and protection. The wax you put on your paint is not only for looks but it's to help to protect the finish. Remember wax is the only thing between your car's paint and dirt, bird poop, paint over spray, road tar... etc. Yesh the car has clear coat over the paint... but you have to remember that your clear coat, is just another layer of paint without pigment.

So it all comes back to YOU the car's owner. What do you want, how do you want the car to look? You want it to look good all the time? Or just on special occasions? Leaving it dusty and dirty the rest of the time, hoping the wax under the dirt, is enough protection until you get around to the next wash and wax half a year from now?
Old 08-15-2005

yes yes thank you.
Old 08-16-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
twice a year
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

Blaktyger is an unknown quantity at this point
Googled: how often car wax (http://www.google.ca/search?q=how+often+car+wax)
Found this!
There is no standard answer regarding how often you should wax. Many variables influence the life of the wax:

* Type of paint
* Condition of paint
* Local environment (normal conditions and extraordinary events)
* Number of hours exposed to outside conditions
* Quality and type of wax applied
* Quality of wash solution used to wash car

That's why Meguiar’s is the first to provide car owners with a personalized Car Care Rx Plus that takes into account all of these factors. What is right for a car kept outdoors all day in the Midwest is not right for a car kept 80% indoors in San Antonio.

Another factor to consider is your personal desires for how your car should look.

If you always want your car to look like it just won a car show,
then you can and should apply a pure polish or premium wax often.

Meguiar’s pure polishes can be applied as often as you like, even daily with no negative effect, and in fact will keep you car looking showroom new for the life of the car if you were in fact to polish it each and every day. Meguiar’s polish/waxes and pure waxes can also be used often for maximum protection and eye dazzling good looks.

Whichever product you decide to choose, the important point it is to begin a regular cycle of car care and stick to it.
From Meguiar (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_16#_16)

So twice a year...better have really good wax...
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
consider resin and polymer LSPs which last longer than traditional carnauba-based waxes.
Old 09-01-2005
Registered!!

sweeteli99 will become famous soon enoughsweeteli99 will become famous soon enough
great post, thanks guys. i was doing it every 3-4weeks... but i just wash/wax. i need to do all the other prep work which i'm going to buy all the supplies for soon.