Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Polisher safe on vinyl???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Polisher safe on vinyl???

I ended up with a decent scratch on my door and unfortunatly it looks kinda deep. I did a search and found one of the threads that talks about using a PC buffer or something. Anyway what I want to know is if it is safe to use a buffer or polisher on vinyl graphics. If you see my avatar, my vinyl is pieced on the side and the scratch goes right through it. I wanna make sure that I'm not gonna rip of my graphics trying to buff out a scratch.

Please help.
Old 06-08-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
dont use the polisher on vinyl. you can go up to the edge of the vinyl with it though. The polisher and compound will scratch and tear the graphics. The scratch goes through the vinyl? Like right into the middle of the graphics? If so, then you cant fix the vinyl. If its between the sections, then do it by hand in there. be very gentle though, that stuff tears easy.
Old 06-08-2005

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by soonercivic
dont use the polisher on vinyl. you can go up to the edge of the vinyl with it though. The polisher and compound will scratch and tear the graphics. The scratch goes through the vinyl? Like right into the middle of the graphics? If so, then you cant fix the vinyl. If its between the sections, then do it by hand in there. be very gentle though, that stuff tears easy.
Yeah it goes right through my vinyl. I know that can't be repaired but I wanted to see about how to get in between the lines. Now is there any particular product you recommend. I saw Scratch X, Deep Crystal, GS27, and so on... but I have no clue which one actually works.
Old 06-08-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
if your going by hand use scratchX. ScratchX on a polisher gets real gummy and is hard to work and remove. The Deep Crystal is a chemical paint cleaner and wont do much for you here. How deep is the scratch? Can you catch your fingernail on the edge of it? What kind of polisher do you have? That will give me a better idea of what to recommend.
Old 06-08-2005

if your going by hand use scratchX. ScratchX on a polisher gets real gummy and is hard to work and remove. The Deep Crystal is a chemical paint cleaner and wont do much for you here. How deep is the scratch? Can you catch your fingernail on the edge of it? What kind of polisher do you have? That will give me a better idea of what to recommend.
I haven't checked the deepness. I do think it's fairly deep though just by appearance. As for a polisher, I have an old wax buffer. Don't know what type it is. If need be though I can go out and buy one.
Old 06-08-2005
i like shiny cars

BaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant future
I say if your just looking for a quick fix use scratch x and minimize what you can with the scratch. If you can feel it with ur nail its too deep to remove completely. I would only recommend getting a machine if you plan on polishing your vehicle. I couldnt see spend the money on a buffer for one scratch. Make sure you'll wannna put the time to polishing your car before you buy one.

My .02cents
Old 06-08-2005

With an orbital buffer you can use meguiars #80, but the results will be poor. If its a deep scratch and you can catch your fingernail on the edge of it, then you will not be able to remove it because it has gone all the way through the paint, all you can do is minimize it. If you cant feel it and it isnt very deep, you would need to get some Meguiars scratchX to start. That will take some elbow grease. If you are willing to buy a Dual Action polisher or DA then i would say use Meguiars #80 and if that isnt harsh enough then use #83. By the way PC means porter cable. You can pick up a PC 7336SP at lowes for 99 bucks but then you need to buy all the polishing pads and backing plates. You could easily spend 175 bucks without too much trouble. However with the PC you will be able to use to to remove swirls, to polish, wax, etc. so they do pay off. The first thing to do is find out though is how deep it is because you dont want to waste your time and money if its pointless to try.
Old 06-08-2005

OK. I'll go hit up Pep Boys at lunch and also see how deep the scratch is. Thanx for all your help. I'll letcha know how things go.
Old 06-08-2005

Go to Oreilly auto parts if they have them in your area instead. They carry a better selection of abrasive products. If they have a paint center then its that much better.
Old 06-08-2005

Go to Oreilly auto parts if they have them in your area instead. They carry a better selection of abrasive products. If they have a paint center then its that much better.
Nope don't have one of those. Actually never heard of them. All we have is Checker, Autozone, and Pep Boys. Those are the main auto stores.
Old 06-08-2005

well we have them in Oklahoma so i didnt know. Out of those 3 pep boys will be the best.