Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Paint is peeling by the drivers side mirror...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Paint is peeling by the drivers side mirror...

What can I do? Should I do paint touch up and clear coat or what?

ill get pics in a lil
Old 02-11-2005
Registered!!

danase is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ImPulse
What can I do? Should I do paint touch up and clear coat or what?

ill get pics in a lil

Hard to say without seeing pics at least.
Old 02-12-2005
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted

This really sucks... It looks like the only way too get this fixed would be too have the whole door repainted?

The paint is actually "lifted" up, and if I wanted too I could peel it off? But, I think that would make it worse, so what you see is what it looks like.
Old 02-12-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 2 spots like that on my car. I try so hard to ignore it, but it sucks so bad. I was thinking the only way to fix it, is repaint the whole panel thats messed up. My drivers side rear window, right below it has that happening. I also saw another spot yesterday, pissed me the F off. Right under my drivers mirror, likeyours. Im gonna need a new paintjob within the year for sure. It doesnt really chip that easily, but not too hard, just be careful when you wash your car to not make it any worse. Mine hasnt gotten worse in about 6 or 7 months.
Old 02-12-2005
Powered by Honda...

GuliziaN will become famous soon enoughGuliziaN will become famous soon enough
Save for a total car repaint... If that's out of the question, I don't recommend using touch up because rarely does it come out looking good. Get the door repainted.
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
dam I wonder if thats under warranty
Old 02-14-2005
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
my guess is that the mirrors are rubbing.. if you had them done at a shop (recently) id take it back and try to make them pay to have it fixed.. if you put them on yerself yer screwed... find a really good paintshop and try to get them to match the door...
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

Looks to me that is NOT factory paint. Am I right? I see a tape mark on the rubber trim between the mirror and the door. If this is so I would take it back to the shop that painted it. If you have never had it painted I would take it to the dealer because it could of been damaged before you bought it and fixed.

Just a little note to everyone. If you ever do have to find a shop to repair or paint your body, make sure they DO NOT tape. Find a good shop that will take all of the moulding and everything off. The shop that did mine did not tape and they even took out my rear quarter glass so there would be no tape marks.
Old 02-14-2005
Banned

I have an 02 ex... Why would I replace the mirrors?

2nd, I got it new from the dealership
Old 02-14-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Take it back so they fix it under warranty. If you ignore it, the peeling will get worse and possibly rust!
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

jpeg420 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if this will help much with that big of a problem but in Super Street Magazine 2005 Buyer's Guide issue on page 210 they have a little section on paint chip care that might help out some.

I just noticed today that i have a little section on my trunk that is starting to chip, so I think I am going to try this out.
Old 02-14-2005
Registered!!

That's been repainted. I would for sure take it back to my dealer and complain. I am willing to bet it was hit or something before you bought it. Possible even damaged on the dealer lot. I can see the paint on the rubber which indicates a tape job.
Old 02-14-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, right between the mirror and door there is silver where it should be black. Look at the other side and see if its the same. If not, bring it to the dealer and have em fix it, if under warranty. Mine are the same way, since i have a crappy paintjob. I hadto go around and take off paint from everywhere it didnt belong, like keyholes, door handles, black rubber around the window. It looks like a good paintjob now, but there are a couple bubbles.
Old 02-15-2005
Registered!!

Yep, instead of taking the time to take the mirror and trim off they just taped it off and painted. That is for sure why it is peeling.

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
Yeah, right between the mirror and door there is silver where it should be black. Look at the other side and see if its the same. If not, bring it to the dealer and have em fix it, if under warranty. Mine are the same way, since i have a crappy paintjob. I hadto go around and take off paint from everywhere it didnt belong, like keyholes, door handles, black rubber around the window. It looks like a good paintjob now, but there are a couple bubbles.
Old 02-16-2005
Banned

Well,

I got into an accident and my fender was messed up

the bodyshop i took it too said it was their fault... They had too do almost the whole side of the car so that the paint looked smooth.

Anyways, They are going too re-do it for me, but, hopefully do a better job
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

Good deal. Make sure they don't tape this time!