SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

D17A2 swap to D17A JDM engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kingfisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation D17A2 swap to D17A JDM engine

Guys,

My car had a series of overheating episodes and had to source a used engine for replacement. Found a JDM D17A 2005 vtec engine and the mech wasnt sure about these (circled in green) as well as the other inlets next to the EGR. My 2003 engine didnt have those!

Please help!
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17A2 swap to D17A JDM engine

Your mechanic can't figure this out? Ummmmmm.........

You're buying the used engine to get yourself a good block and cylinder head.
Everything else that doesn't match the original needs to be swapped so it does match the original.

Hear me now, believe me later:
Before the used engine is installed you probably should want to replace the head gasket and freshen up rubber gaskets along with installing new timing belt related stuff, since it's much easier to deal with it before it's installed in the car
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Your mechanic can't figure this out? Ummmmmm.........

You're buying the used engine to get yourself a good block and cylinder head.
Everything else that doesn't match the original needs to be swapped so it does match the original.

Hear me now, believe me later:
Before the used engine is installed you probably should want to replace the head gasket and freshen up rubber gaskets along with installing new timing belt related stuff, since it's much easier to deal with it before it's installed in the car
Thanks for the reply ezone.

No he doesnt know what the inlets/outlets are in the area I highlighted as components such as EGR and cabin heater functions are not used in my country. The civics here dont come with those.

We used the JDM engine as is - the old engine was in a bad shape. Swapped out the sensors, intake manifolds, vtec solenoid, gaskets, timing, seals, ecu and rad. Only thing pending is our query... do you know what they are?

I think its a heater hose, water hose of some sort, maybe EGR related?

Much Appreciated.

KF
Old 03-26-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and cabin heater functions are not used in my country.
I wasn't expecting to hear that. Didn't realize your location

the larger port would have led to the cabin heater
the smaller port for a hose that led to the IAC valve on the throttle body (to heat the valve)

If you didn't swap over that entire coolant housing (that includes the EGR valve), the EGR valve sitting there with no wiring is disabled so it won't affect how it runs
Old 03-26-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I wasn't expecting to hear that. Didn't realize your location

the larger port would have led to the cabin heater
the smaller port for a hose that led to the IAC valve on the throttle body (to heat the valve)

If you didn't swap over that entire coolant housing (that includes the EGR valve), the EGR valve sitting there with no wiring is disabled so it won't affect how it runs
Ah, i suspected as much, thanks a bunch ezone.

The smaller port is similar to the old engine I believe, ill have to go back and check it later. Do you suggest a rubber clamp on the larger port?

We plan to get it running today.

The JDM block that I bought is an ET2 civic Ferio 1.7 2005 my old engine is an ES3 2003 both are VTEC.

The timing belt on the JDM was replaced end 2017 @ 57xxx miles. Im guessing it could could have been 60 xxx miles when scrapped. The timing belt and water pump looked very good when we took it out. But we replaced it anyway.

Will keep this thread updated!

Cheers

Last edited by kingfisher; 03-27-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

In case you missed what ez was saying, that whole part unbolts from the cylinder head. You can/could unbolt that side from your old engine and bolt it up to your new engine, otherwise use short amount of appropriate heater hose and caps.
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
In case you missed what ez was saying, that whole part unbolts from the cylinder head. You can/could unbolt that side from your old engine and bolt it up to your new engine, otherwise use short amount of appropriate heater hose and caps.
Thanks, yeah so i either swap it out or clamp those unused outlets.

CHeers!
Old 03-28-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kingfisher
Thanks, yeah so i either swap it out or clamp those unused outlets.

CHeers!
Update - So the engine went in minus the head gasket replacement (we couldnt get the parts in time) and the JDM warranty was ticking. So ill have to live with that. Mech will be using the car for a couple of days as im away. So far he says no overheating issues and the engine is very quiet, good sign i suppose.

Have to check for leaks and coolant loss in the next few days.

Thinking of repainting the car to a ferio grey colour, looks nice!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-25-2019
Registered!!

02civilx is an unknown quantity at this point

my 02 has a engine with the egr valve and my vehicle does not require a egr as I have no plug for the egr and it passed inspection in texas just fine and no cel codes