Super Charger Post information/questions about Super Charging here!

D17 supercharger build help/descusion thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
D17 supercharger build help/descusion thread

hello all, for a few years i've been considering a turbo build but i've also been looking at a supercharged build, mostly because of the smooth powerband which may be easier on the transmission, the instant power, the fact that the car is light enough not to need massive amounts of power, less components needed, easier to tune.

2002 civic ex d17a2 auto

2.25inch intake, down pipe, high flow cat., and cat. back.

if you have any suggestions for the next few lettered questions please help out =D.

A. I was thinking of either customizing the d17's vertical throttle body or replacing with a horizontal d16 tb, does anyone have any suggestions/ will the stock throttle cables from the d17 work with the d16 or will they need to be shortened/ lengthened?

B. which used belt driven superchargers are around for 1.6-2.2L engines/which would work the best for the position of the belts in the d17.

C. which belt will i have to access in order to properly drive the SC for both ease and proper timing/ it would be easy to use the power steering belt drive but would that work for boost pressure along with throttle possition/rpm? crank, water pump, alternator, power steering?

D. because the belt is matched to the rpm of the engine is tuning 100% needed or can i drive her for a few weeks until i can get it to a shop?

E. since less power is made then a turbocharger will I need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump?

F. parts needed?

-supercharger
-customized throttle body
-customized belt and pulley running of one of the pre-mentioned pulleys
-intercooler? not sure because this won't be running off of exhaust gasses?
-oil cooling lines?
-tunable ECU, is this even needed?
-injectors?
-fuel pump?
-BOV?
-waste gate?
-electronic boost controller?
-air flow sensor?

G. any other items/help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mac25; 06-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17 supercharger build help/descusion thread

As far as I know there never was a supercharger built for the D17. That's why it's never been done. Good luck trying to mock one up, that would be a serious achievement. Your better off to go turbo honestly, much easier to install and moar power.
Old 06-07-2013

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

true more power but also more expensive and i'd think harder on the transmission.
Old 06-07-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You may end up paying more in custom fabrication if you go with a supercharger
Old 06-07-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong it would be really cool to see a supercharged D17 however I'm with riceboy it would cost more than a turbo in the end just due to customm.
Old 06-08-2013
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of work, and that's coming from a guy who doesn't know when to quit. Clearance on the driver's side may be an issue.

Some motivation for you, http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/wha...blow-483761840

Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2013
Whachya lookin at?

That's just silly lol... Use it as inspiration only don't get any ideas lol.
Old 06-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maxtierney
^^ We need to start a separate thread on this lmao. I never woulda thought it would do any good, but it worked! You'd think it would be about as good as one of those ignorant electric "superchargers" lol

Last edited by clinton_hedrick; 06-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2013

fabricating the intake manifold, if i have to doesn't scare me nor does the d16 to d17 throttle body or mating the throttle body to the supercharger. the only fabrication part that will be tricky is to get the drive belt and pully functional for the SC.

it's the crankshaft pulley that i'll need to access isn't it? do you think i could get two crank pulleys and weld them together side by side, so once installed one would run the main belt and the other could run a belt for the SC? the hard part would be engineering the lock key and bolt that hold the crank pulley.

or would it be better to try adding a longer belt and just incorperating the SC to the belt loop?
Old 06-17-2013

does anyone have any personal experience with supercharging any vehicle? especially how to determin the amount of boost the charger gives at max RPM? i've heard it depends on the size of the SC pulley and i'd imagine the type of compressor within the SC.

basically will an 8psi at max rpm SC for a given car still be an 8psi SC on a civic because the SC's compressor plus drive wheel are constant, or will the compression change due to different belt lengths and fuel to rpm difference on a civic?
Old 06-17-2013

as well the throttle and cruise control cables will be interesting to deal with.
Old 06-17-2013

this guy's running a Eaton M62 SC'er from a cobalt ss, on a d16.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=47944959
Old 06-17-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just to go with the D17 supercharger thing..

Just took a gander at my semi-empty engine bay, and came up with this possible solution for your pulley woes. If you did the PS delete like nap did, you could use part of the crank pulley meant for the PS pump to run the supercharger.. You'd just have to find a belt that would be long enough to 1) reach the new supercharger pulley and 2) be able to navigate around the driver side motor mount. It works in my head, but actual functionality, can't be too sure.
Old 06-17-2013

i also found this link which tells how the boost control actuator and boost control solenoid are used to bypass boost when a signal from the ecu shows low rpm. this link is also about the M62 SC.

http://www.3800supercharger.net/how.html
Old 06-17-2013

won't i need to convert the steering rack or can you just leave the pump and system as is and simply disconnect the PS belt?
Old 06-17-2013
Administrator
Administrator

He completely removed the PS pump.

edit: he's running a loop/breather setup as far as his steering hydraulics go.
Old 06-17-2013

the oil fill for an m26 from the cobalt ss is 215ml and the oil can be purchased at a chev. dealership.
Old 06-18-2013
Administrator
Administrator

You're a Chevy dealership..
Old 06-21-2013

your mom's a che... just kid'n =D.
Old 06-22-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Hey now.. That's only on Saturdays..
Old 11-15-2015

Update!
I've decided to go with an sc14 supercharger which a few people have placed in d16s.

The d17 requires dropping done to a single fan, cutting the sub frame and fabricating a mount, after removing the AC.

Because of the position of the alternator which on the d16 was in the back, the d17 sc build has been a lot of trial and error.

As far as I know I am the only person to attempt an sc14 build for the em2 d17a2.

Old 11-15-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Woot!

We'll trade dyno sheets. My 1.8l stroker project is back on. 12.5 compression, here we come.

For some reason, I think you're still gonna come out on top, haha.
Old 11-16-2015

Are you doing an r18 in an em2 or bored out d17?
Old 11-16-2015
Administrator
Administrator

He bored out a d17. You're on our fb group
Old 11-16-2015

Well J I can't remember everyone's projects, lol.
Old 11-16-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Haha, just busting your *****
Old 06-21-2021

....and 8 years later we know it's possible, lol

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...5-build-3.html