Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Need some advice on if I should transmission fluid changed on 02 civic!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003
got banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic02ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some advice on if I should transmission fluid changed on 02 civic!?!

Hey guys,

My girlfriend just bought a 02 civic with 20,000 miles on the car and sometimes when she puts the car into reverse or drive.......she has an automatic by the way.........the car sort of creaks a bit then I would expect coming out of a fairly new car.

The person before her didnt take good care of the car I could tell........but I'm wondering if I should get the transmission fluid changed. Ive already checked the fluid and its not low or anything. Any opinions would be appreciated.

By the way......to clarify the sound..........you know when you have your car parked sort of slanted and you put the car in reverse and it makes sort of a nasty sound (which isnt bad for your car) but it makes that sound most of the time she reverses out.
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solar is an unknown quantity at this point
The car only has 20,000 miles on it and you can tell the last owner didn't take care of it? I'm guessing the car looks a little beat up, anyhow the tranny fluid change isn't where you need to start. Take it to a good shop and have them figure out where thw noise is coming from. It could be the tranny, or the CV joints, bearings, brakes, lots of things.
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
If it is a crunching sound that occurs just once when you take the car out of park, Thats probably the parking switch (which could have been damaged if they engaged Park from speed) or the shift linkage (which could be damaged).

If it is a continuous whirring or whining noise it's an internal problem that needs profesional diagnosis, get it checked out.

If its a true creaking noise (usually accompanied by a chudder or bang) here is what to do, go to a safe, empty area (like an open parking lot) open the hood and put the car in D. With your foot firmly on the brake, step on the gas wile watching the motor for movement. Put the car in R and repeat. If the engine rocks more than 1-2° one of the engine mounts could be broken.

For CV joints the test is usually an inspection of the boots (there should be no tears and you should not be able to gain access to the mechanicals behind the boots. With the wheel all the way turned go in a circle while stepping on the throttle if there is a clicking sound that is the CV's

Also re-check the torque on all of the wheel nuts.

Nevertheless the ATF should not be burned up at 20k so changing it at this point will not resolve a problem, no.