Overheating or loss of coolant, heater blowing cold If you are having overheating of loss of coolant issues, post here!

Overheating,lost of coolant,heater not blowing heat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracecross30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Overheating,lost of coolant,heater not blowing heat.

Hi my honda pros.
I have a 2002 civic ex vtec, I was on my way to work Saturday and I realized that my engine lost power and shortly after I saw smoke like coming from my transmission side of the car, I checked my heat gauge in the car and it was above the normal read,like way up. I pulled over and open my hood ,I saw coolant on some parts and on inside of the hood . i got towed home and have it checked out, a clamp from a hose under the air cleaner box that wasn't clamp the hose,the camp put back and I thought it's fine now. Now I was going back to work and at a shorter distance the same problem again , I let it cool and turn back and for the third time again it started to overheating and I pullover for the third time take my tome drive home.i check to see if the coolant was circulating through the radiator and it was.now I bought a kit with timing belt,tensioner and water pump, installed them and put coolant in,starting and turn the heat on in my car so it could take the coolant through the heat core and get rid of the air in the system, for about 20minutes and more the fan won chip in and the engine was very hot and the fan still did chip in,but if I turn on the Ac the fan work pretty fine and the engine is still overheating. Can someone please help me resolve this problem? I dont have cash to go to Mechanic at the moment, if someone could explain in detail to me what to do I will try my best to fix it..please someone give me some advice.
Old 05-27-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Overheating,lost of coolant,heater not blowing heat.

something is not causing the fan to kick on, bad thermo switch or something
you've probably blown your head gasket now,

read: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Hey, I appreciate the info but everything is working pretty well on the very next day..
When I bought the car,the replace the valve cover gasket and head gasket, they said ,but didn't do a flush which I did myself and everything is fine. I'm having residue of oil on the radiator cap ,but when drained the coolant and replace the water pump the coolant was nice and clean so I dont how I'm having residue of oil on the radiator cap.
Old 05-29-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tracecross30
Hey, I appreciate the info but everything is working pretty well on the very next day..
When I bought the car,the replace the valve cover gasket and head gasket, they said ,but didn't do a flush which I did myself and everything is fine. I'm having residue of oil on the radiator cap ,but when drained the coolant and replace the water pump the coolant was nice and clean so I dont how I'm having residue of oil on the radiator cap.
Maybe there were air pockets in the coolant that needed to work their way out of the system and finally did so. When you replaced the coolant did you bleed the air per the service manual?
* Raise front end of car on jackstands as high as possible.
* Set climate control to max heat, recirculate, and fan off.
* Idle engine, top up coolant as needed, run engine (idle) until the radiator fan engages twice.
* After engine cools completely add coolant mix to radiator and reservoir to proper level.

Did the person you bought it from who claimed to replace the headgasket and valve cover gasket say that they bled the coolant of air after they did the headgasket replacement?
Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

No, they didn't say..I didn't raised the front of the car but I turn the heat on while adding coolant until its full
Old 05-29-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05ex1.7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Test fan switch. But 95 percent sure it is your headgasket i have exactly same problem
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Possible your overflowing coolant took out your cooling fan, we have seen coolant spray also mess up ground connections.

Coolant is meant to be inside the engine, not everywhere else.
Old 05-30-2019
Registered!!

Well, it didn't spray any near the fan before but its working ok now. Thanks though..I have my input shaft bearing to do in a few weeks..I never done it before , but I'm going to do it though. I cant pay to do it so I will be doing it myself.
Old 06-01-2019
Registered!!

So I changed water pump,thermostat and take the car to the dealership for a deeper and better checkout,but eventually they told me that they didn't see anything wrong with it. They did check for head gasket damage but didn't find nothing.the funny part is that they they told me that its $120.00 diagnostic and when they finish the guy told me that I dont owe nothing..now it left me to think that they hiding something from me. If you work you would charge, right?
Old 06-02-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did they explain how they checked the head gasket?
Old 06-02-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Compressed air injected into the cylinders at TDC with radiator cap off and looking for bubbles is the only valid method to rule out a head gasket breaches.